A reminder RIGHT when you need it!

B B

Registered
Hello all! Me again :)

1-Let’s say I have a doctor appointment. And for example I know that while I’m at the clinic I would like to take advantage to schedule a few other appointments at the front desk. How do I remember at that exact time WHILE I’m at the clinic, to stop by the front desk and to plan enough time to ask.

Or another example (all of these are real examples haha)

2-What if I’m in bed and tomorrow I have to go to immigrations office and I want to remember to look for my ID the next morning ... I would put that in a tickler?

3- What if I have to PHYSICALLY take something with me right before I leave the house for a meeting (let’s say, brochures). Where can I set a reminder for just before u leave to do that?

I know these three scenarios are a tad different.

Thanks!!

mcogilvie

Registered

1-Let’s say I have a doctor appointment. And for example I know that while I’m at the clinic I would like to take advantage to schedule a few other appointments at the front desk. How do I remember at that exact time WHILE I’m at the clinic, to stop by the front desk and to plan enough time to ask.

2-What if I’m in bed and tomorrow I have to go to immigrations office and I want to remember to look for my ID the next morning ... I would put that in a tickler?

3- What if I have to PHYSICALLY take something with me right before I leave the house for a meeting (let’s say, brochures). Where can I set a reminder for just before u leave to do that?

Thanks!!

At a minimum, I would put all three on my calendar:
1. If I have an appt. with the doctor at 10, the entry becomes “10: Appt. with doctor & schedule future visits”
2. If I have an appt. at 11, I schedule “check for id” at 10, or whatever time seems safe.
3. If I have a 2 pm appt., and it takes 20 minutes to get there, then at 1:30 I have “Leave for appt. Don’t forget brochures!”

Some smartphones can remind you of things when leaving or arriving at a place. I don’t think it’s a foolproof technology, but it can be useful.

AnneMKE

Registered
I’d use:
1. Location-based phone reminder
2. Time-based phone reminder
3. Brochures in front of the door or, better, in the car.

Whatever works!

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
At a minimum, I would put all three on my calendar:
1. If I have an appt. with the doctor at 10, the entry becomes “10: Appt. with doctor & schedule future visits”
2. If I have an appt. at 11, I schedule “check for id” at 10, or whatever time seems safe.
3. If I have a 2 pm appt., and it takes 20 minutes to get there, then at 1:30 I have “Leave for appt. Don’t forget brochures!”

Some smartphones can remind you of things when leaving or arriving at a place. I don’t think it’s a foolproof technology, but it can be useful.

Agreed. I would use the calendar, but remember to treat it just like a next actions list. Be specific, think of it as Writing yourself instructions of what to do at that time.

alteredbeast

Registered
I’d use:
1. Location-based phone reminder
2. Time-based phone reminder
3. Brochures in front of the door or, better, in the car.

Whatever works!

This is what I suggest, too.

For appointments I usually create a separate actions for prep, such as 'Find ID' and put it on my calendar the day before the appointment.

For tasks I need to do at the doctors for instance, I usually copy this onto a piece of paper along with questions for the doctor and carry it with me.

Anything I need to physically take is placed next to the door, so it's not forgotten. That is unless my children decide to move it, which is another topic altogether.

KW7

Registered

Thanks!!

For situations like this, I enter the name of the event in my calendar and also the phrase "(NOTES)" after it. This tells me that I need to examine the notes portion of the calendar reminder for important info such as take ID, allow time to schedule new appointments, print materials for meeting, etc. For such situations, I may set the reminder for 2 hours before the appointment knowing that it will only take 30-45 minutes to travel but I want additional time to gather the materials. For business related appointments, I frequently schedule a reminder the day before to prepare and print materials but the actual appointment reminder reminds me to take the printed info I created previously.

John Ismyname

Registered

By GTD, this will be in your @Doctor file. My @'s are Contacts in Outlook that sync to my Google/Android phone. In the text field here, I have a list of everything to ask my Doc at my next visit to him. I also have a physical/manilla @Doctor file with documents. I'd make a note on a 3x3" post-it and stick it to a physical document, or your key chain. I have stuck post-its right on the face of my smartphone!

That said, it might be easier to make medical appointments by phone at your desk with your GTD platform in front of you.

2-What if I’m in bed and tomorrow I have to go to immigration office and I want to remember to look for my ID the next morning ... I would put that in a tickler?
This happens to me a lot, where I get relaxed in a "mind like water" state and i remember things or get ideas. I keep a pen and paper beside my bed to record such things. Instead of looking for your docs, set up these physical/manilla files; Gov't- local, Gov't state/province, Gov't Fed. For your immigration PROJECT, set up a separate file for that.

I take physical docs out of my filing cabinet the day before at the earliest. There is nothing worse than looking for a document that has gone missing only to realize that you forgot that you put it into the folder for that day. "Forgot" may not be the best word as you put it in an approiate place that would remind you at the approximate time!

I think of ID as a gov't issued card that is designed to be in your wallet. I keep all mine in a big, plastic envelope that I have hidden in my car. The only time I would ever be asked for my driver's license would be when I am in my car.

Put them in your car so there is no way you can forget! As an alternative,you could put it in a shopping bag that you hang on your doorknob so you grab it on the way out.

[/QUOTE]

Oogiem

Registered
while I’m at the clinic I would like to take advantage to schedule a few other appointments at the front desk. How do I remember at that exact time WHILE I’m at the clinic
I do that by always having an @octor note as project support and I check it when I check in for the visit. I also plan on arriving about 15 minutes before they say I need to be there (which is usually 15 minutes before the actual apt. time) so the extra half hour will give me time to do other doctor related stuff.

What if I’m in bed and tomorrow I have to go to immigrations office and I want to remember to look for my ID the next morning
I'd roll over and grab the pad and pen that is always by my bed and write Don't forget ID on it. I process all the notes I capture overnight as I am drinking my coffee in the morning so I'll see it then and can grab the ID. But a related question: Why do you not have your ID with you all the time? I always have ID on my body if I am dressed. I know of issues where in accidents you get airlifted out and ID in your purse, or somewhere else isn't picked up or available to the emergency techs. Keep basic ID on your body at all time is my motto.

What if I have to PHYSICALLY take something with me right before I leave the house for a meeting (let’s say, brochures). Where can I set a reminder for just before u leave to do that?
I'd put them next to my purse. I grab that and anything sitting on top of it is something I need for that next meeting. Or put it on top of my outdoor shoes.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
Re #2 I would never remember to check my Tickler in time. But I do have a small notepad and pen at my bedside. When i think of something at night, I write it down immediately, without even turning on the light :)

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
Don't try to remember, have a @_Morning Routine list. I have about 10 things on my core morning routine that I get done before the caffeine kicks in ;)
Fair enough, but the OP was not about a trigger for a routine, it was how to capture a specific time sensitive item that pops to mind while in bed. I don't have my device in the bedroom (and wouldn't want to look at the screen or think about how to process it anyway) so in that case I'd simply capture to a bedside notepad and process it in the morning. :)

John Ismyname

Registered
Jodie; I hope you didn't think I was trying to "call you out" or anything. I was making fun of myself as I am groggy in the morning and I need my @_AM Routine (and @_PM Routine) not to be productive but just to be functional.