All web GTD

• Thread starter misanthropic777
  • Start date
M

misanthropic777

I've determined that my current lifestyle can't really do a single desktop (like the outlook client (which I loved) or even any other single-machine software). I have 3 offices and on any given day will be in at least 2 of them plus moving around. However when I think about it, I have pretty darned near ubiquitious web access. Even when I'm not in an office I have either wireless or can use my phone.

So, I am attempting to implement an all web GTD arrangement.

What I've come up with so far is:
igoogle - customizable home page that shows the next 3 together:
gmail - used vanilla - I tag mail to projects but don't store actions in here
gcal - hard landscape
remember the milk - task lists, by day plus undated at the bottom

Anyone have any feedback? Done anything similar? What? How did it work?

richard.watson

Registered
I'm a desktop-solution person but have you thought of maybe trying a moleskine? If I ran around that much maybe I'd just want my actions with me all the time, and maybe a paper solution is worth a shot. I suggest this only because it sounds like you're integrating a few apps, and a bit of simplicity would do some good.

(Not the answer you were looking for, I know - maybe try out your plan and tell us how it goes :) )

M

misanthropic777

I'm not actually moving around the whole time - I go from one office for a few hours to another for a few hours to home for a few hours. Email is how people get ahold of me when I'm in one of the other places, but its not actually what I think of as a mobile lifestyle (where I'm out and about a lot); Its more like several different workstations, all of which are internet-accessible.

I've tried paper in the past - its fine for taking care of the hard landscape, but I find that dealing with tasks on paper (since so many come via email) is more trouble than its worth. And frankly, a lot less fun...

AndyD

Registered
What about Outlook running on a USB Memory stick?

If you love Outlook, why not try a USB memory stick, and run Outlook from that?

I did this for a while when moving between the "home" office and the "office" office!

Just move your Outlook *.PST file (it contains all your Outlook data) to a memory stick and your good to go.

When you get to any of the offices running Outlook, you can then open the *.PST file from the memory stick and work on it as usual.

With it on the stick, it's almost like Outlook in your pocket!

If you do this, it's a good idea to backup the *.PST regularly, so if you lose the stick you don't lose Outlook. Also set the password options too, so if you do lose the stick, the data won't be readable by anyone else!

Let me know if you need a more detailed tech explanation or step by step guide to do any of this.

Taking it further, there's always the PocketPC option - running a simplified but still usefull version of Outlook on a PDA/Phone type device.

I'm doing this with a Qtek9100 Pocket PC and it works a treat. However, if I was more office based I'd definitely pop the *.PST file onto a memory stick and do it that way.

Best regards,

Andy.

toms73

Registered
I use backpack

I have had good (not perfect) success using backpackit.com Keeps track of all contexts, projects, agendas plus notes,and can link to documents and writeboards.

M

misanthropic777

Hi Andy - That won't work because it isn't so much outlook I love as the GTD plug-in, which would need to be licensed and installed on each system I use. That gets expensive.

toms73 - I'll take a look at backpackit - that's worth a try!

Tom Shannon

Registered
misanthropic777;50877 said:
I've determined that my current lifestyle can't really do a single desktop (like the outlook client (which I loved) or even any other single-machine software). I have 3 offices and on any given day will be in at least 2 of them plus moving around. However when I think about it, I have pretty darned near ubiquitious web access. Even when I'm not in an office I have either wireless or can use my phone.

Just FYI if you really like Outlook there's no reason why you can't continue to use it from a commercially available Exchange service. These sync your Outlook across as many machines as you like and can usually be accessed from a PocketPC anywhere you have web access, as well. I use this company:

http://www.4smartphone.net/

Less than 20 American dollars a month. I've seen plans as low as $5/month from other companies.

Tom S.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
--Albert Einstein

L

lldanj

Use Plaxo to synchronize outlook files

I also use multiple computers during a given day. I use Plaxo (free version) to synchronize. Basically, each computer automatically synchronizes my calendar, contacts, task list and notes with Plaxo (online) every once in a while (15 minutes, I think). Then, when I use my other computer, it syncs with plaxo and picks up any changes to my data. I find it a very solid and simple solution.
Dan

M

misanthropic777

I guess I wasn't clear - I ONLY like outlook because of the GTD plug-in, which is licensed and installed on a desktop-by-desktop basis. Therefore I would need to pay for it 3+ times, try to get the IT department at one of the sites to install it for met, etc. It isn't practical for me to do that.

The plug-in allows you to hit a button as you read your mail and tell the system what to do with that (file for reference, defer for later, delegate to someone else, etc). In a perfect world I would like that same functionality, but since the world isn't perfect I would at LEAST like to be able to do those things from wherever I was. Thus using web-based tools.

Tom Shannon

Registered
misanthropic777;50913 said:
I guess I wasn't clear - I ONLY like outlook because of the GTD plug-in, which is licensed and installed on a desktop-by-desktop basis.

Sorry. It wasn't clear to me that it could only be installed on one machine. That's a mighty restrictive license. I've seen programs that cost thousands of dollars where they do that but usually small time stuff like this can be installed on multiple machines as long as its used by a single user (at work and at home for instance).

[shrug] I guess that's the way of things.

Tom S.

M

misanthropic777

Tom Shannon;50914 said:
Sorry. It wasn't clear to me that it could only be installed on one machine. That's a mighty restrictive license. I've seen programs that cost thousands of dollars where they do that but usually small time stuff like this can be installed on multiple machines as long as its used by a single user (at work and at home for instance).

[shrug] I guess that's the way of things.

Tom S.

Sorry if I came across harsh. You just have NO idea how cranky I was when I found out. My poor husband had to listen to me rant for the better part of an hour over it.

If that weren't the case your solution sounds great - being able to sync the contents of the different installations would definitely help, and that's a good thing to know about! Maybe someone else can use it.

Barry

Registered
I have been trying to settle on an all-internet implementation as well. I have something similar to yours. Like you, I use Gmail and an internet calendar like Gcal (I am using AirSet, but considering a switch to Gcal). I have not tried RTM. For the lists I decided to go with a simple document rather than a database approach. I am using a Google Documents document for that. I set it up using the HTML list formatting and the items can be dragged and dropped to reorder the list if I want.

My contacts are currently in AirSet as well, but I am thinking of converting them to a Google Document like my other lists. That would give me an all-Google implementation with a single log-in.

One thing that I have not yet put on the internet is my tickler. I think it would be possible to set up a dedicated calendar in Gcal for tickler items, but this seems like too much fuss to maintain. I am probably going to set up a 3x5 card file as a small physical tickler system.

In my case, I print all this out and work from a paper binder, but I like having most of it backed up to the web and having appointment reminders sent to my cell phone.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
My system goes nearly everywhere my mind goes

Thanks for this thread, which addresses an important part of implementing GTD. My preference is to to have some or all of my system accessible to me everywhere I go. In order to have mind like water, the system must be right at hand whether I'm at my desk, driving, or waiting for a movie to start. At a minimum, I like to have a capture tool, even a tiny pen and some paper, with me at all times. To be honest, in aiming for mind like water I have not yet put pen and paper at the side of the pool when I'm doing laps. Fortunately, my mind becomes watery when I swim. Other than that, I do my best to carry pen/paper, PDA, or computer everywhere, because I may need to empty my head anywhere. So far I have not found an ideal system. I do know that any system which limits me to working and thinking in one location will not allow me to empty my head consistently. Beyond that, my system needs to function in all the contexts for which I have context lists, e.g. calls, home, office, errands. For now that's a combination of laptop, Treo, and pen/paper. Good luck to all of us creating our own ideal system.

T

Toes_NZ

I also work at different locations every day. I am using a portable gtd setup on a usb key. It consists of my life organised http://www.mylifeorganized.net/ running completely from the key and my outlook pst file also on the key. Have been using this setup for several months now and it works a trick. Another program that works from a usb key is Time & Chaos & Intellect. Intellect is quite a good alternate to Outlook. If you do setup outlook on a USB key, purchase a high speed key, I am using a Corsair Flash Voyager GT 4g which works well.

sjdavis113

Registered
Alternatives to MS Outlook and Office

My laptop just crashed and I'm seriously looking into some open source apps such as Open Ofice. From what I've read, there is no PIM integrated with this particular app, although there seem. to be some more than adequate PIM apps available that are free or cost very little. I use my laptop with me everywhere along with a BB. Any advice or suggestions with non Microsoft office suite programs with integrted PIM capabillties? Some have mentkoned GMail, google docs, etc but is that all integrated? And is there a PIM app that would work well with google? I'd appreciate any info or suggestions from fellow GTDr's.

Stacey

M

misanthropic777

sjdavis113;51121 said:
My laptop just crashed and I'm seriously looking into some open source apps such as Open Ofice. From what I've read, there is no PIM integrated with this particular app, although there seem. to be some more than adequate PIM apps available that are free or cost very little. I use my laptop with me everywhere along with a BB. Any advice or suggestions with non Microsoft office suite programs with integrted PIM capabillties? Some have mentkoned GMail, google docs, etc but is that all integrated? And is there a PIM app that would work well with google? I'd appreciate any info or suggestions from fellow GTDr's.

Stacey

What are you looking for the PIM app to do? Google apps (word processor, spreadsheet, etc) are somewhat integrated with gmail and gcal (the email and calendar applications). The missing piece is the task list. Remember the milk is good, although I've started using gmail itself. Vitalist and todoist are others.

The more I look the more really neat firefox extensions I'm finding to make these things work together better. But I really wish google would make a task list....

I've seen discussions

billjw

Registered
I may be way off track here but ...

I use GMail and Gcal and would kill for a good task list. I am a bit surprised Google hasn't come up with one before now.

Anyway, I played with Todoist and noticed there is a iGoogle module that links to Todoist. So, I haven't finalised my thoughts and I do start a new job on Monday so I may not need a web based solution but, on my iGoogle, I have my calendar (with Agenda visible), my Todoist list and my Gmail - all on one screen.

Don't know of that helps anyomne but I'm not sure I need much more. I think Todoist could do with some tweaks but I am sure, in time, it'll get them.

If that doesn't solve any problems, please don't flame me!

Bill

Barry

Registered
I would be surprised if Google didn't come out with a task list application soon. At that point, the various Google apps (mail, calendar, tasks, docs) would be pretty close to a complete, integrated PIM. Meanwhile, I am keeping a task list as a Google Doc to round it out.

For what it's worth, AirSet seems to be a pretty complete online PIM, except that there is no email.

billjw

Registered
No email?

Barry;51134 said:
For what it's worth, AirSet seems to be a pretty complete online PIM, except that there is no email.

Looks like there might be now... :)

Or am I missing something?

Barry

Registered
billjw;51158 said:
Looks like there might be now... :)

Or am I missing something?
I may be the one missing something, but my understanding is that AirSet has a messaging function and a way to send email, but it does not provide the functionality of something like Gmail. It only allows you to send out announcements to your group members. No way to receive or read email. They may well add that function at some point.