Already Putting In The Time and Effort To Read and Quite Frankly I Just Wanna Stop Reading and Start Implementing.

leewilliam236

Registered
Hello GTDers!
I've already read all of Part I, Chapters 4-6 fully, and Chapters 7 & 8 partially. Quite frankly I'm exhausted after reading all the chapters and I just want to start implementing the basics and parts of Part II, and then go back and read when I feel like I've mastered what's being said from Chapters 1-6. IOW, I just want to practice so that I can master GTD, then read once I feel that I've mastered whatever I'm focusing on. I do have thoughts about finishing the book but it won't be too soon to finish. I'd also like to know how each of you guys balances your professional & personal lives and reading + implementing GTD itself. I have plenty of projects that I should start right away. An example, My life will be consisted of part-time work, aiming towards getting a full-time job in a GIS/Geography-related major, etc.) so the chances of it'll take a while before I can read and implement and to a point where I've achieved my purpose listed below.
If you'd like to know more information on why I'm reading this book, I'm going to be using the first 2 steps of the Natural Planning Model discussed in Chapter 3. I could go in elaborate on the outcomes/visions part, but I just want to keep it short.
  • Purpose: To be able to know GTD inside-out and live a fulfilling, orderly, and productive life.
  • Outcomes/Visions:
    • Learning to adapt to the information age and an ever-changing world by refining and updating my personal productivity system.
    • Acquire the knowledge, experience, and skills picked up in this book that could transfer over other productivity system books that may pique my interest (Ex: Note-taking strategies like Zettelkasten, Books like Atomic Habits, etc.). I've even made a Projects List that focuses only on Productivity Skills in Asana!
    • Be in a position where the balance of your personal and professional life has been maximized.
I look forward to your responses!

Last edited:

Cpu_Modern

Registered
…job in a GIS/Geography-related major, etc.) so the chances of.
"chances of" – what? Don't keep me hanging there, please!

You know, there are two types of people, those that crave closure and

Anyway, you raise a point about work/life balance…

In terms of GTD I manage that during the Weekly Review by deciding which projects to make active for the week and which ones go into someday/maybe. There is then of course a corrective by checking with Level 2 Areas of Focus and the even higher horizons.

The thing though is to not commit the thinking error, that every single week has to mirror the balance on your higher horizons. It's more a corrective measure.

Maximized balance means for me that every current Level 2 Area of Focus has gotten appropriate attention and effort.

This can mean different things for different people of course. For example, some people want to go to the gym several times per week. That would be highly inappropriate behaviour for me. I do daily exercises around half an hour, more than that starts to feel like a waste of time.

leewilliam236

Registered
Filled in the sentence with bold.
Let me guess... those who don't? Lol.

In terms of GTD I manage that during the Weekly Review by deciding which projects to make active for the week and which ones go into someday/maybe. There is then of course a corrective by checking with Level 2 Areas of Focus and the even higher horizons.

The thing though is to not commit the thinking error, that every single week has to mirror the balance on your higher horizons. It's more a corrective measure.

Maximized balance means for me that every current Level 2 Area of Focus has gotten appropriate attention and effort.

This can mean different things for different people of course. For example, some people want to go to the gym several times per week. That would be highly inappropriate behaviour for me. I do daily exercises around half an hour, more than that starts to feel like a waste of time.
Given that I haven't started Chapter 9 (and have only read Chapter 3), what would your advice be to implement the 6-Level Model For Reviewing Your Own Work?

pgarth

Registered
Hello GTDers!
I've already read all of Part I, Chapters 4-6 fully, and Chapters 7 & 8 partially. Quite frankly I'm exhausted after reading all the chapters and I just want to start implementing the basics and parts of Part II, and then go back and read when I feel like I've mastered what's being said from Chapters 1-6. IOW, I just want to practice so that I can master GTD, then read once I feel that I've mastered whatever I'm focusing on. I do have thoughts about finishing the book but it won't be too soon to finish. I'd also like to know how each of you guys balances your professional & personal lives and reading + implementing GTD itself. I have plenty of projects that I should start right away. An example, My life will be consisted of part-time work, aiming towards getting a full-time job in a GIS/Geography-related major, etc.) so the chances of.
If you'd like to know more information on why I'm reading this book, I'm going to be using the first 2 steps of the Natural Planning Model discussed in Chapter 3. I could go in elaborate on the outcomes/visions part, but I just want to keep it short.
  • Purpose: To be able to know GTD inside-out and live a fulfilling, orderly, and productive life.
  • Outcomes/Visions:
    • Learning to adapt to the information age and an ever-changing world by refining and updating my personal productivity system.
    • Acquire the knowledge, experience, and skills picked up in this book that could transfer over other productivity system books that may pique my interest (Ex: Note-taking strategies like Zettelkasten, Books like Atomic Habits, etc.). I've even made a Projects List that focuses only on Productivity Skills in Asana!
    • Be in a position where the balance of your personal and professional life has been maximized.
Couple top-of-mind thoughts:

I've always looked at the GTD (2015) book as an actionable workbook. That means that it's feasible to: read a couple pages/chapter 1; reflect; implement immediately; continue with Chapter 2, etc. Also... I come back every so often for a re-read and could swear there's stuff in there that I can't remember reading before -- go figure.

There is a general theme of "Mastery" in your text, which I'm reading into as thinking you have to completely understand this systematic approach before beginning. For me, I can fall into the trap of evading/avoiding actions before I feel "completely ready". I don't think DA (aka David Allen) would be thrilled to see you haven't really started yet until you first finish/master the material. From memory, I think, he starts with the mind dump exercise - do that now. The physiological feeling you get when you dump stuff out of your mind is palpable and needs to be experienced for new GTDer's.

Purpose (50K) - "To be able to know GTD inside-out..." Q: Is this really your purpose - the first part of the sentence? I'm thinking there's something unique in the world you have to offer.

If you're exhausted -- that's a good awareness to have. A GTD principle is awareness of Context, Time and Energy. If your energy is low, then you may need to renegotiate your agreement with your GTD journey, so you can integrate it and truly benefit.

Of course, everything above is just my opinion and immediate associative awareness/thoughts. You have the book; you have the forum. I encourage you to start building your own system -- the world of GIS needs you. Continued success.

leewilliam236

Registered

Check the post again. I've already inputted the bolded words.
Purpose (50K) - "To be able to know GTD inside-out..." Q: Is this really your purpose - the first part of the sentence? I'm thinking there's something unique in the world you have to offer.
To elaborate the mission and visions/outcomes parts further, I came up with more detailed visions/outcomes that I had.
  • GTD also gets you to change your habits when it comes to your day-to-day business and I believe is THE system where I can see myself grow and have success.
  • I see myself, in the near future, using this system to take on whatever needs to be getting done in a workspace setting and handle the seemingly complex and unsolvable problem. Knowing a lot of the key concepts, skills, methods, techniques, etc. in my long-term memory will come in handy. I want to feel like there's almost nothing that I can't do!
  • In the personal world, I see myself being able to spend sufficient time with family and friends, and finally live a life where I can balance. I've never been able to do that before GTD because I didn't know that you needed productivity skills in order to do well in college. I blame the K-12 for not taking productivity skills as seriously as learning other "mandatory" subjects like Math, English, Social Studies, Natural Sciences, etc.
  • In terms of leadership, I see myself having all the answers for the team that I'm leading and managing. Knowing what to do when things go wrong, what to say during a team meeting, knowing what stage in the Natural Planning Model to appropriately use, etc. I have an interest in moderating subreddits, leading volunteering teams, managing people, changing cultures, etc.
  • I want to feel like I have an edge over others because I have GTD under my belt and they don't.
  • Help others if they're having issues with productivity by introducing them to GTD.
  • Learn different ways of how GTD can be implemented by interacting with others who've.
I'm not trying to become a GTD coach/teacher, but I could see GTD being THE system that would be part of my life for a very long time. The ability to help, talk, learn and understand GTD I believe is something that's very invaluable to me and, potentially, to society.

I've always looked at the GTD (2015) book as an actionable workbook. That means that it's feasible to: read a couple pages/chapter 1; reflect; implement immediately; continue with Chapter 2, etc. Also... I come back every so often for a re-read and could swear there's stuff in there that I can't remember reading before -- go figure.
If you're exhausted -- that's a good awareness to have. A GTD principle is awareness of Context, Time and Energy. If your energy is low, then you may need to renegotiate your agreement with your GTD journey, so you can integrate it and truly benefit.
I've been taking notes on the book on OneNote. In your opinion, between re-reading the book or reviewing your notes on OneNote (or whatever note-taking software you use), which would it generally be?

Also, it's great to hear that part of learning GTD is feasible. Now all I got to do is be able to ensure that I can input the knowledge from the book into my mind for my professional and personal life. This ties back to the Purpose Statement of me learning GTD.

pgarth

Registered
Check the post again. I've already inputted the bolded words.

To elaborate the mission and visions/outcomes parts further, I came up with more detailed visions/outcomes that I had.
  • GTD also gets you to change your habits when it comes to your day-to-day business and I believe is THE system where I can see myself grow and have success.
  • I see myself, in the near future, using this system to take on whatever needs to be getting done in a workspace setting and handle the seemingly complex and unsolvable problem. Knowing a lot of the key concepts, skills, methods, techniques, etc. in my long-term memory will come in handy. I want to feel like there's almost nothing that I can't do!
  • In the personal world, I see myself being able to spend sufficient time with family and friends, and finally live a life where I can balance. I've never been able to do that before GTD because I didn't know that you needed productivity skills in order to do well in college. I blame the K-12 for not taking productivity skills as seriously as learning other "mandatory" subjects like Math, English, Social Studies, Natural Sciences, etc.
  • In terms of leadership, I see myself having all the answers for the team that I'm leading and managing. Knowing what to do when things go wrong, what to say during a team meeting, knowing what stage in the Natural Planning Model to appropriately use, etc. I have an interest in moderating subreddits, leading volunteering teams, managing people, changing cultures, etc.
  • I want to feel like I have an edge over others because I have GTD under my belt and they don't.
  • Help others if they're having issues with productivity by introducing them to GTD.
  • Learn different ways of how GTD can be implemented by interacting with others who've.
I'm not trying to become a GTD coach/teacher, but I could see GTD being THE system that would be part of my life for a very long time. The ability to help, talk, learn and understand GTD I believe is something that's very invaluable to me and, potentially, to society.

I've been taking notes on the book on OneNote. In your opinion, between re-reading the book or reviewing your notes on OneNote (or whatever note-taking software you use), which would it generally be?

Also, it's great to hear that part of learning GTD is feasible. Now all I got to do is be able to ensure that I can input the knowledge from the book into my mind for my professional and personal life. This ties back to the Purpose Statement of me learning GTD.
Great that you have a comprehensive mission/vision/outcome. Suggestion, during Weekly Review, is to scan down that list for a neural reminder. It will help energize you for the upcoming week.

You're bringing up software (ie OneNote), which is always an interesting question to ask a GTD practitioner, as it generates many associative opinions. I'll keep my response relatively high-level.

"..input the knowledge from the book into my mind.." - my suggestion is to integrate and then objectively test out the material/knowledge from the book, as if you're scientifically experimenting to verify an expected outcome. I think initially DA brought together various elements that he knew worked and then the synergism became GTD. What I find amazing are the number of neuroscientist folk today that are forming scientific findings from the foundation of GTD. In other words, read the book, and make your system your own.

As the GTD systematic approach is all about externalizing your mind into a trusted system, I've parsed it out into a couple areas:
-Calendar - ideally one for both personal and professional. I happen to use GoogleCalendar, but use whatever you're comfortable with.
-Next Actions grouped by Context - You have at least one action item so far within "Read/Review" - David Allen's GTD book. Not sure what you're using, but there are a plethora of apps out there. I happen to be using PocketInformant for Mac, but (again) use whatever you feel intuitively comfortable with. Keep in mind that apps are designed for a broad range of end-users, so you'll find some have feature creep. The irony is that in 2006 I found GTD from using a really complicated productivity app, where I then bought a $6 training CBT, which referenced David's work -- that would be a Banduran chance encounter.
-Project and Action Support - this is (I think) where you're referencing OneNote. In this case, you're reading David's book and you're wanting to write out notes/reflections etc as you go. Because the notes in OneNote are based on how you're finding meaning from David's book, my hunch is that you would want to first go back to OneNote before re-reading his book. Both of us could read the same paragraph and come away with different perspectives for our note-taking, so initially lean on your own stuff. Also, OneNote is really good for full-text search, and is portable across multiple platforms. For me, I've been using a blend of Evernote (great for sucking up PDFs) and OneNote.

You referenced engaging with others as you integrate GTD. The following are my own suggestions:
-Initially, just do the actions of GTD for yourself, and avoid evangelizing as it could create resistance from others. If their initial response is "I already do that", then I've proven my point. Prove it works for yourself, first.
-Be known by others that you keep your commitments, and renegotiate as needed - you're building a foundation you'll need when the "GTD" awareness is known by peers.
-Return emails internally within 48 hours (or as agreed) and externally within 24 hours (or as agreed). Do that alone, and folk will know you're up to something
-Take on the concept of Agendas and waiting for's with individuals and group/team meetings. That one is really powerful.

What you're after is an awareness by others that you're doing "something" which is causing a productive enhancement. Then, you draw them in, and share your best practices.

Hope that helps.

schmeggahead

Registered
Quite frankly I'm exhausted after reading all the chapters and I just want to start implementing the basics
I’m looking at all of this and thinking, 2 minute rule. Implement to 2 minute rule. Enjoy a small win.
Empty your head, enjoy a bigger win.
Process what came out, enjoy another win.
Review what you have added to your system, enjoy another win.

Go back and look at the chapter that applies to what you are about to do, then do it. Enjoy new discoveries and wins.

Celebrate each step of the way. This is work (for me, lots of work). This is rewarding, lots of rewards.

Enjoy the wins along the way. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be highly effective and rewarding. Make mistakes, even make a big mess of It, but learn along the way. Take it easy on yourself.

Purpose: To be able to know GTD inside-out and live a fulfilling, orderly, and productive life.
Ah an elusive wish I have had a long time: an orderly life.
I have found life is anything but. How I approach it can be both orderly and spontaneous and fun.

Enjoy the journey.
Clayton.

mcogilvie

Registered
I was listening randomly to the introduction to “Ready for Anything” and heard David Allen comparing GTD to the martial arts again:

“The “ready state” of the martial artist is not a passive, reactive, or finite one. It is totally dynamic, alive, creative, and expansive. But it’s not free. It is enabled by increasingly refined training and experience with work and life. May these principles serve as road signs and guideposts along your way.”

Cpu_Modern

Registered
what would your advice be to implement the 6-Level Model For Reviewing Your Own Work?
Go from the bottom up. When you have a complete Level 1 projects list, look at these projects and see what Level 2 and 3 items these are corresponding to. This is easier once you completed a couple of Level 1 projects and have developed a better sense for how you are defining and noting down your projects. Develop your projects style first.

For the higher levels 4 and 5 I would remain free-form.

Wilson Ng

Registered
Sorry, I've never read the GTD installation guide. But at USD$10.00 on the GTD store, it might be worth something to try. The physical copy on Amazon is $11.59. I bought it on the Apple Bookstore for $6.99. I've found it helpful to have workbook to go through the different exercises. You don't have to do all the exercises at one time. I read it for the first time to get a sense of the book. Then I started applying different chapters at different times. Think of the GTD Workbook as a "checklist." Go through the checklist so you don't miss anything.

But now that I think of it, I've seen that I've used GTD more for the capturing, organizing, processing, planning part of my productivity workflow. I've resorted to other ideas for the "doing" part.

I have the feeling that the installation guide and the workbook are great for "planning" and not so focused on "doing."

gtdstudente

Registered
Hello GTDers!
I've already read all of Part I, Chapters 4-6 fully, and Chapters 7 & 8 partially. Quite frankly I'm exhausted after reading all the chapters and I just want to start implementing the basics and parts of Part II, and then go back and read when I feel like I've mastered what's being said from Chapters 1-6. IOW, I just want to practice so that I can master GTD, then read once I feel that I've mastered whatever I'm focusing on. I do have thoughts about finishing the book but it won't be too soon to finish. I'd also like to know how each of you guys balances your professional & personal lives and reading + implementing GTD itself. I have plenty of projects that I should start right away. An example, My life will be consisted of part-time work, aiming towards getting a full-time job in a GIS/Geography-related major, etc.) so the chances of it'll take a while before I can read and implement and to a point where I've achieved my purpose listed below.
  • Outcomes/Visions:
If I were starting GTD with what I now know, I would definitely start in Paper [digital seemingly more/too abstract] with my Four Color-Coded Areas of Focus Support Material [Project/Next-Action] Folders

schmeggahead

Registered
that the installation guide and the workbook are great for "planning" and not so focused on "doing."
I value the methodology guide cards for doing.
These cards on concise descriptions and tools for actually doing the methodology on an ongoing basis.
I pull the review card out when I do weekly reviews.
I pull the natural planning model card when I do project planning.
I pull out the 5 phases card and use the 05 ENGAGE section when I am working from my lists and calendar.

They help me be grounded in the current activity methods.
Enjoy the journey
Clayton.

Wilson Ng

Registered
ahhh.... Sorry, I guess my definition of "doing" and "planning" may be different than yours.

"Planning" for me involves sitting down with my task manager and calendar app and processing inbox items, performing the daily/weekly review, project planning. I also pull 3-5 tasks from my task manager and put them on my index card.

"Doing" for me has me putting away my task manager and doing the actual work on my index card. But I can see myself flagging certain tasks as the 3-5 tasks I want to work on today. Then I'll execute a search for all flagged-only tasks and use that as my "Doing" list.

gtdstudente

Registered
ahhh.... Sorry, I guess my definition of "doing" and "planning" may be different than yours.

"Planning" for me involves sitting down with my task manager and calendar app and processing inbox items, performing the daily/weekly review, project planning. I also pull 3-5 tasks from my task manager and put them on my index card.

"Doing" for me has me putting away my task manager and doing the actual work on my index card. But I can see myself flagging certain tasks as the 3-5 tasks I want to work on today. Then I'll execute a search for all flagged-only tasks and use that as my "Doing" list.
Interesting . . . "Planning" on this end would be 'Defining'

mcogilvie

Registered

If I did something like that (I have), working from a short, focused list, I would lose a holistic view of my task list, miss the opportunity to get many small things done easily and early, and have less satisfying and productive days. This is related to David Allen’s point about new tires: either you need new tires or you don’t. If you keep putting new tires off, the “new tires” project will become a crisis. Maybe you have a workaround, but I haven’t found anything like that which works well for me.