Another productive reason for GTD?

gtdstudente

Registered
Another productive reason for GTD?

While it is agreed that . . . Ideas simply seem to just happen and as such, are 'timeless' . . . however, Good Decision(s)/Judgment(s) do require varying degrees of Effort-&-Time and, as such, the best way to reduce the Effort-&-Time for Good Decision(s)/Judgment(s) is a Calm/Relaxed, Empty/Distraction-Free Mind, etc.

Is that another productive/worthy reason for GTD?

Last edited:

dtj

Registered
Perhaps it's just my brain put hurdles in front of me, but some of my best ideas happen well outside the times when I am looking for great ideas. In fact, it's often at the most inopportune times. Thus, having a trusted system to put them in, where the can benefit from context and clear-minded consideration.

Wilson Ng

Registered
I've found a lot of my best ideas were found when doing a daily walk or when I'm mowing the lawn. My mind is free but a thought will pop up randomly that would not have happened if I was sitting down trying to brainstorm like a madman. Thankfully, Drafts on my iPhone is a perfect capture tool as well as "Hey Siri…"

gtdstudente

Registered
I've found a lot of my best ideas were found when doing a daily walk or when I'm mowing the lawn. My mind is free but a thought will pop up randomly that would not have happened if I was sitting down trying to brainstorm like a madman. Thankfully, Drafts on my iPhone is a perfect capture tool as well as "Hey Siri…"
With all due respect, your "mowing" [in the midst of being unable to do anything else actually facilitates ideas?] is my showering/driving

Oogiem

Registered
I get most of my new and wild ideas and the best solutions either as a passenger in the car on the monthly shopping trip or at between 2:30-4:30 in the morning. The 1.5 hour drive each way to shop gives me plenty of time to daydream. I keep multiple notebooks in all the vehicles just so I won't run out of paper no matter which one we take. Most of my difficult problems are solved at night and I wake up and have to document them or I can't go back to sleep. I also keep notebooks on the bedside table and have developed a systm of how I write and turn the notebook so I never over write a page any more.

TesTeq

Registered
I get most of my new and wild ideas and the best solutions either as a passenger in the car on the monthly shopping trip or at between 2:30-4:30 in the morning. The 1.5 hour drive each way to shop gives me plenty of time to daydream.
@Oogiem I can see an interesting metaphor here! Brainstorming/daydreaming is most effective when you're not in the driver's seat (ie. you're not engaged in cranking widgets)! @mcogilvie @John Forrister

Oogiem

Registered
Brainstorming/daydreaming is most effective when you're not in the driver's seat (ie. you're not engaged in cranking widgets)
True, you need to step away to see the big picture and the possibilities. Thats hwy Personal retreats, 12 Week Year resets, Weekly reviews areall so Important.

gtdstudente

Registered
I get most of my new and wild ideas and the best solutions either as a passenger in the car on the monthly shopping trip or at between 2:30-4:30 in the morning. The 1.5 hour drive each way to shop gives me plenty of time to daydream. I keep multiple notebooks in all the vehicles just so I won't run out of paper no matter which one we take. Most of my difficult problems are solved at night and I wake up and have to document them or I can't go back to sleep. I also keep notebooks on the bedside table and have developed a systm of how I write and turn the notebook so I never over write a page any more.
"have developed a system of how I write and turn the notebook so I never over write a page any more." If you so please, all 'eyes'-&-'ears' . . . thank you!

Oogiem

Registered
"have developed a system of how I write and turn the notebook so I never over write a page any more." If you so please, all 'eyes'-&-'ears'
I use top bound spiral notepads that are 3x5 inches. I set my notepad with the cover opened and to the top with a blank page ready to write on towards the edge of my nightstand. I set my gel pen (NOT a pencil, the leads break) clicked open on the left hand side of the notepad. I can reach over and grab the pen and the notebook and write my thought down without turning on the light or waking my husband up. I then flip the page up and rotate the notebook 180 degrees so the bottom piece of paper is always ready to write on. Yes, I waste a bit of paper, 1 thought per page. When the notebook is half way used or so it can become difficult to determing which way toflip the pag. In my cse the notebooks I use have a thinner front cover and a thicker back cover so I can keep track that way. If you accidentally decide to use a pencil, or the pen is a ball point and not clicked on or the ink runs ut, you can often recover the text by using a pencile ato do a delicate rubbing of the text and holding a light at an angle to the paper. If you are not sure if you wrote on a piece o fpaper, rotate the notebook 90 degrees and write you rnote. Te criss crossing text can often still be deciphered in the morning. Make sure you process nighttime notes ASAP in the morning. Trustme, your nighttime penmanship is horrible. You need to try to capture the context and essense in clear letter and hope you can still read it in the morning.

gtdstudente

Registered
I use top bound spiral notepads that are 3x5 inches. I set my notepad with the cover opened and to the top with a blank page ready to write on towards the edge of my nightstand. I set my gel pen (NOT a pencil, the leads break) clicked open on the left hand side of the notepad. I can reach over and grab the pen and the notebook and write my thought down without turning on the light or waking my husband up. I then flip the page up and rotate the notebook 180 degrees so the bottom piece of paper is always ready to write on. Yes, I waste a bit of paper, 1 thought per page. When the notebook is half way used or so it can become difficult to determing which way toflip the pag. In my cse the notebooks I use have a thinner front cover and a thicker back cover so I can keep track that way. If you accidentally decide to use a pencil, or the pen is a ball point and not clicked on or the ink runs ut, you can often recover the text by using a pencile ato do a delicate rubbing of the text and holding a light at an angle to the paper. If you are not sure if you wrote on a piece o fpaper, rotate the notebook 90 degrees and write you rnote. Te criss crossing text can often still be deciphered in the morning. Make sure you process nighttime notes ASAP in the morning. Trustme, your nighttime penmanship is horrible. You need to try to capture the context and essense in clear letter and hope you can still read it in the morning.
Thank you so much . . . agreed . . . elegant . . . nice . . . thank you!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
@Oogiem I can see an interesting metaphor here! Brainstorming/daydreaming is most effective when you're not in the driver's seat (ie. you're not engaged in cranking widgets)! @mcogilvie @John Forrister
I often think of solutions when I step back from driving at the problem. It's most humbling when I realize the way I've defined the problem/project is off, and the problem/project is simpler than I had originally defined it.

gtdstudente

Registered
I often think of solutions when I step back from driving at the problem. It's most humbling when I realize the way I've defined the problem/project is off, and the problem/project is simpler than I had originally defined it.
"the problem/project is simpler than I had originally defined it." . . . W O W . . . H U G E . . . thank you, sir!