Any experience with GTD?

Hello

I've been exploring David Allen's Getting Things Done method of productivity and organization and I'm curious if anyone has used this before. And if you have, what feedback can you give me? I'm really interested to see how he sets up his tools for programs like OneNote and Evernote, etc.

After many years of failed attempts with various productivity programs, I'm really trying to find one that works (for me).

Thank you !

mcogilvie

Registered
Hello

I've been exploring David Allen's Getting Things Done method of productivity and organization and I'm curious if anyone has used this before. And if you have, what feedback can you give me? I'm really interested to see how he sets up his tools for programs like OneNote and Evernote, etc.

After many years of failed attempts with various productivity programs, I'm really trying to find one that works (for me).

Thank you !
Hi, welcome. Around here, we pretty much all use Getting Things Done (GTD for short). I’ve used GTD for a long time now, and it is very effective. A lot of it seems simple and easy, and it is, but it works best when you are honest with yourself and self-aware. Before GTD, I had tried everything available too. GTD works.

GTD is not really a system so much as a systematic framework you can use with your preferred tools. @sharmon02 is an expert on Evernote, and I would defer to her on its use. I did use it for reference, but I have mostly moved on to simpler tools. In some sense, the heart of GTD lies in lists of projects and next actions, and I currently use Things 3 for that.

Last edited:

Mark Jantzen

Registered
I've practiced GTD since 1991 so I'm a little biased. It works. But it's an approach and way of thinking that is truly is tool agnostic. I've used a paper planner as well as OmniFocus over the years. The key is to get the thinking part first. Then tool organization will flow more naturally. For example I've pivoted some of my system into Notion recently. It was simple to do because I already had an idea what kind of content was at hand.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
GTD is a powerful set of principles that allows you to manage all of the inputs in your life. The practices are sound. Most people modify tactical components (I dare say you won't find hardly anyone who has the same contexts, or even uses contexts). GTD is amenable to other approaches to create a thriving, integrated system based on what works best for you. For example, I am a proponent of time blocking for deep, focused work. This works well within a total integrated system. So, explore and ask people here what they do and think. Cheers! :)