Anybody used iOS5 reminder app?

tjhoo

Registered
It syncs tasks with MS Outlook. I can't figure out how to sort tasks within the app. If there are not options to sort, then the app is less useful. Maybe there is a way to do it.

Are there other iOS apps for tasks that sync with MS Outlook that you could recommend?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I'm working on writing up our GTD best practices for Reminders.

To sort your Tasks within the App, you would create a new list for each context/category (instead of using the collective "Reminders" list).

Kevin_AB

Registered
tjhoo;92934 said:
Are there other iOS apps for tasks that sync with MS Outlook that you could recommend?

Check out iMExchange it will sync tasks and notes with MS Exchange servers.

S

supergtdman

I use this as an addition for my system, it's great for daily checklists and daily actions, it's very simple and i dont keep any dates or contexts there. I check it only once a day but everyday.

Here is an example of what stuff i keep there:

* sleep at least 9 hours each day
preferably 10+

* add even obvious projects and actions to Omnifocus because otherwise you might not trust it when choosing what to do

and so on, I got 16 items there overall, most other stuff is too personal and sounds too silly (even those 2 sound silly) but it helps.

i use omnifocus for projects and actions, and project support is in mind maps and evernote so Reminders is just a small addition but I find it very useful and convenient for simple checklists which you want to keep separate from next actions/projects or calendar.

Not everything is a next action or project or area of focus and etc. so such things have to be kept in a separate checklist.
For daily actions I find it easier to use a separate daily actions checklist instead of using calendar or setting repeating actions with due dates for every single day in omnifocus.

Im also interested in what Kelly is going to post about using Reminders as a tool for GTD, I can see how it could work if you create separate lists, separate project list, context lists, waiting list and so on, seems very similar to paper system, it wouldnt be as flexible as omnifocus but might be easier for a beginner in GTD because the app is very simple.

Foxman

Registered
I've been using Reminders as my gtd list since launch. I've been using Toodledo and paper, but this new feature is a game changer (for me anyhow). Just using Siri as a collection tool is unbelievable, and the location based reminder.....! It is so simple to manage all your contexts and see everything at a glance and have it sync to Outlook and all other devices. Yet to put my entire projects list in there as still in testing phase, but loving it as much as I did on day one.

pxt

Registered
I think it's important to test Apple's syncing of data between iOS devices and wherever they turn up on the Mac, presumably iCal.

Apple has a terrible habit of only syncing partial data or having features function inconsistently between iOS and OSX, leaving workflows in bad shape as you move between different devices.

lrydbom15

Registered
iOS 5 and Lion OS

I've been using the Reminders app on my iPhone and iPad and it syncs flawlessly with my Mac, in iCal. You also have access to everything via iCloud.com, if you set it up as such. I too was hesitant at first because of Apple's lackluster performance up until now - but it has been working great for me. I'm not concerned with syncing to my work PC via Outlook because I carry my idevices everywhere with me and don't see any advantage.

tjhoo

Registered
kelstarrising;92935 said:

To sort your Tasks within the App, you would create a new list for each context/category (instead of using the collective "Reminders" list).

Really looking forward to reading this. Moving from Blackberry to iPhone, the thing I miss the most is lack of functionality with task (iOS calls "reminder") functionality. Blackberry could sort and filter via category that synced with MS Outlook tasks, which is central to my GTD.

I can't figure out how iOS sorts reminders within a date. Viewing reminders in:
--"List" view, allt h items seem to be randomly placed without sorting. They do NOT appear to be sorted by "Due", "remind me", or any detail.
--"Date" view..at least I can see what has a due date for a given day. Would like to (for 1 example) filter so can see what is due today AND what is past due.

I usually sort my next actions ("tasks") by
#1 due date (ascending)
#2 reminder time (ascending)..not all NA's have a reminder time..but does help me prioritize
#3 level importance (descending importance)
#4 amt time needed (ascending amt of time needed)

mebstein

Registered
I want it!

Please post where this can be read/purchased when complete. I'll be very interested to read it.

RCL

Registered
Sorting to be added in iOS 6

I'm fascinated by how much people are using the Reminders app, especially as their main GTD list manager. It's a minimalist app, but useful. I use it too, but only as an adjunct to my main system (OmniFocus and BusyCal, which I like better than iCal). It gives me an easy & reliable way to jog my memory for little things like stopping at the store on the way home.

I believe I've read that iOS 6 (which is presumably due out next month) will add sorting capabilities. I'm not sure if any other features will be added.

mcogilvie

Registered
Priorities to be added too

My understanding is that priorities will appear for every item, not just those with priority set in Calendar (the former iCal).

JMarc

Registered
Reminders lists

Hi,

I usually have 6 lists (one for each horizon of focus - the collective "Reminders" list stands for Runway level). Reminders syncs with my exchange account so I keep track of my stuffs in a standalone application both at work and at home.

After reading your post, I will give a try to one more list for the "smartphone context".

Thanks,

JMarc

Tim McIntyre

Registered
TaskTask HD

tjhoo;92934 said:
It syncs tasks with MS Outlook. I can't figure out how to sort tasks within the app. If there are not options to sort, then the app is less useful. Maybe there is a way to do it.

TaskTask HD is the best I have found so far to sync with Outlook. It supports folders for tasks, multiple categories per task ( can create categories like @Home, @Agendas), Reminders, repeating tasks, various sort options.

IMexchange2 is close, but TaskTask HD superior.

tjhoo

Registered
Reminders app is indeed improved in iOS6. Now reminders are sorted by reminder time, which is better than created time. But I still can't find any option to change sorting options.

Notifications could be a powerful tool, but seems limited. If you include calendar, you see all calendar events. I'd like to be able to see only calendar events with an alert..

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I still can't find any option to change sorting options.

You can change sorting by creating categories of lists, rather than putting everything under their default category called "Reminders." I ignore than category and only use the ones I created (Projects, Agendas, Anywhere, Calls, Computer, Errands, Home, Office, Waiting For, Someday.)

We have it in our queue to create a GTD & Reminders Setup Guide. No date on that, but it is in our queue.

TesTeq

Registered
"GTD & Reminders Setup Guide", please!

kelstarrising;102484 said:
We have it in our queue to create a GTD & Reminders Setup Guide. No date on that, but it is in our queue.

Kelly!

Could you please move the "GTD & Reminders Setup Guide" Project to your Top Priority Reminders list?

Due to recent fashion trends I switched to iPhone 4S (I must say that my Nokia E71 had much better GSM radio/antenna subsystem but its software was unreliable and less user friendly) and now I am using Reminders for some of my lists.

tjhoo

Registered
kelstarrising;102484 said:
I still can't find any option to change sorting options.

You can change sorting by creating categories of lists, rather than putting everything under their default category called "Reminders." I ignore than category and only use the ones I created (Projects, Agendas, Anywhere, Calls, Computer, Errands, Home, Office, Waiting For, Someday.)

Too bad categories from Outlook Tasks don't show up in iOS Reminders.