Anybody using ThinkingRock software?

mcogilvie

Registered
DrDave said:
I'm interested in this software.
http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/

Anybody tried it?

I have looked at it. It's in Java, and multiplatform (PC, Mac, Linux), but I have tested it only on a mac. The data is in a single xml file, and should be portable between architechtures. I think the interface is a little clunky, probably because it's Java, but flexible and useable. I'm not sure how it would do if I scaled up to my actual volume of projects and next actions.

M

Mork

Book Title Change?

This site is based out of Australia. At the bottom of the home page it notes that in Australis, "Getting Things Done" is titled "How to Get Things Done". I'm just curious but does anyone know why?

mramm

Registered
It looks very interesting. I may take it for a test run to see well it works.
It adheres to the principals very well, but I would like to see if the implementation is up to snuff.

Michael

cornell

Registered
the book has different titles for different countries

Mork said:
This site is based out of Australia. At the bottom of the home page it notes that in Australis, "Getting Things Done" is titled "How to Get Things Done". I'm just curious but does anyone know why?
I remember David talking about this somewhere - it's a publishing choice. Interesting, though...

F

Frasycl

Positive feedback on Thinking Rock

We have now many users using Thinking Rock and had some very positive feedback, mainly that it is following (or forcing you) to follow the GTD methodology to the letter.

Please have a try at it. It is free, fully tested and documented, and a small download (7.5MB).

Claire
Test and Business analyst of Thinking Rock

R

RADDmom

Thank you for the information. I downloaded the program and am playing with it. I like how intuitive it is and the ability to color code is awesome for a visual person!

Whether it is a long term solution will be seen.

RADD

M

mde

I have tried ThinkingRock for two weeks now - it is easy, great work and very usefull.

BTW, I had no clue of GTD and now have bought the book ...

silvia225

Registered
People are discovering TR

People are discovering TR as a wonderful tool to do all the phases of GTD.
It works in Mac and Windows, it is stored as a xml file.
There is a demo that explain clearly how to use it with pratical examples.
It is easy to use, easy to load, works offline.There is a good forum and kind answers from the developers.

I am very happy because I am learning how to collect all thoughts and process them. The more I write the projects following the steps TR offers (exactly what DA wrote), the more I realise how many ideas I can produce just because I've found the proper stimuli.

Silvia

jarvek7

Registered
I'm a big palm user asnd currently using Agendus as my "all-powerful" calendar/memo/to-do/contacts manager. I downloaded thinkingrock and sort of toyed around with it. I like that it is GTD focused. I would use it more if it were a palm application. Any chances of coming out with a Palm version?

dewwalker

Registered
I'm using it and love it!

This thing is great. It truely adheres to the GTD workflow rather than just being a hacked todo list manager. The developers are actively answering questions on their forums, enhancing the software, and planning new releases.

I'd highly recommend this application to beginners and seasoned GTD gurus alike as it keeps you in the GTD mindset.

Dan

Ruud

Registered
It is indeed a very well streamlined program -- but it suffers from a big drawback: capture/collection.

It wants to include this first stage in its workflow but wants to do it in such a way that you are "forced" through the other stages of GTD in order to process the idea.

For me the result was that I avoided using TR as a capture tool. As a consequence I resented going through all the steps to get data into and through the system.

tavish

Registered
I'm using TR and loving it. They are getting ready to launch version 2.0 in the the coming weeks at which point it will be open source (they announced that this week).

deekod

Registered
TR - best GTD app so far.

Just an update, TR2 epsilon is the current version and it is open source, with TR2 promised in the coming weeks.

I cannot praise Jeremy and Claire highly enough for this product (I am not a TR employee - just an avid user), it really has helped me work more efficiently with less stress, its development seems to be very much user-led and totally in line with the David Allen approach.

If you havent tried it - you really should!

Derek.

J

jakeburton25

I've been using TR for about a month...

Hello,

Overall, I like Thinking Rock...but here is my pet peeve. I like to print a report of next actions...and TR dumps everything to a .pdf, and it's not editable, so you get what you get. It's small for me, the font is small, so it's sort of a pain to read or carry around...I wish there were more choices for the way the pages display, because even those are pretty small on a laptop screen, and I'd like more choices on output. It's good, and clearly the price is right, but I wish it was a little more customizable. Thanks.

jake

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
GTD in other countries, and TR...

- The other countries/languages that have produced Getting Things Done (unfortunately) have no criteria for the translation, nor for the title. My publisher (Pearson/Viking/Penguin) only sells the rights, without the ability to vet the quality of the individual products. As it turns out, because of the negative feedback from locals, there is a new translation of the Dutch and German versions in the works. We're working to get a new version of the Japanese version, because of the growing interest in Japan and the crappy translation of GTD that's out there.

The bad news is that publishers hire translators, not interpretors. For instance, the publisher of Ready for Anything in Japan hired the well-respected business/tech blogger, Gen Taguchi, to do the translation. It's doing well. GTD is languishing, because the literal translation sucks. Hopefully we'll get that corrected in the next year.

- Re: TR. Delighted to have your input. We're ramping up our R&D crew here internally to stay on top of all this, and ideally we'll have a version of our own Wikipedia for such developing products available. Thanks for your patience in this regard, and your contributions to our research.

David

SGuenette

Registered
I love TR and don't find it forces me through collecting thoughts, etc. You can create projects and next actions straight from the projects or actions screens. Maybe the older versions required you to go through and create thoughts and process them but Epsilon doesn't.

Sally

TesTeq

Registered
Any external help is rejected.

DavidAllen;53315 said:
- The other countries/languages that have produced Getting Things Done (unfortunately) have no criteria for the translation, nor for the title. My publisher (Pearson/Viking/Penguin) only sells the rights, without the ability to vet the quality of the individual products. As it turns out, because of the negative feedback from locals, there is a new translation of the Dutch and German versions in the works. We're working to get a new version of the Japanese version, because of the growing interest in Japan and the crappy translation of GTD that's out there.

Additionally local publishers reject any external help and cooperation because of the agreements with the publishing rights owner. Very unfortunate situation that hurts everybody.