Arianna Huffington interview: first reactions:

Dave John

Registered
Firstly I have to express my delight at how well Arianna articulated my major gripe with the news media – so called “balanced” reporting. As Arianna said, things either are, or are not.

Just think of the resources that the major news channels have at their disposal: the staff, the satellite technology, transport, news feeds, syndication etc. Yet when the hard work of a journalist is summarised and prepared for transmission, we often have to listen to some half-baked “balanced” alternative that clearly is often hastily put together at the last minute in order to fulfil this pointless approach to news broadcasting.

Take yesterday morning for example: a national radio station in England was bringing a report in their morning show about childhood and teenage obesity. The British government are currently targeting the 8 to 15 age group because doctors have noticed a new obesity problem there. A member of the government team that is formulating a national campaign to tackle this problem came on the air for interview. The first thing the host said to him was that surely 8 to 15 year olds have the same right to a burger and fries as anyone else? I was hugely impressed by the restraint of the interviewee who managed to hold his temper in the face of such a remark.

That is the standard approach to all news stories on that station. I am not exaggerating when I say that if an astronomer came into the studio to report on the latest discovery in stellar observation, he would be asked if he thought it was right that all this money should be wasted on looking at stars while people were starving?

To put it another way, are the news channels saying to us: “We have state of the art communications, special access privileges, unlimited transport, access to an army of media personnel …. but in the end, hey, we’re not going to tell you anything. You have to make up your own minds about what is going on in the world.”

In terms of the specifics of work, a remark of Arianna’s set me off on a fruitful tangent of thought – she said that when she is trying to stay focused on a piece of work, she does not take phone calls, even though she wants to.

She evoked that scenario so well: a piece of work in front of me on the desk, a deadline starting to ripen, yet I feel that it is absolutely normal to constantly break away to take phone calls, or to tell something to someone in the department upstairs “in case I forget to later” etc. by “normalising” my self interruptions this way I can justify it by saying “well that’s office life”.

Arianna reminded me that better practices will feel “abnormal” and counter-intuitive when first applied. You can’t hurl yourself into a new way of doing things all in one go; it really has to be managed moment by moment.

I encountered the idea of minute-by-minute management a couple of times recently. Firstly, I realised that decisiveness applied moment-by-moment could make me a very purposeful and productive person. In work I continually have dozens of small-scale decisions jostling for closure in my head.

For example, “should I be doing this, or should I delegate it? It’s more difficult work that I usually delegate, but maybe if I took time out to explain it … but it’s needed by tomorrow afternoon, and if my assistant gets it wrong there’s no time to redo it. How much detail should I go into in this report? Do I really need this excel worksheet, or should I just supply ballpark values? Should I type it myself or should I give this handwritten sheet to a secretary to type? Should I us blue or black pen? What about fountain pen – the paper is a little to absorbent, but I work more freely in fountain pen ...but then again fountain pen is not compatible with tippex. What is the trade off between the intensity of effort I am putting into this and the value to my employer and the value to the client?”

Etc, etc, etc …..

If I could turn off this endless inner indecision and replaced it with minute to minute decisiveness I would save oceans of mental energy, and be a hell of a lot happier too.

Another take on the concept of short term self management is what David Allen said recently about visioning: up to then I had regarded visioning as the first stage in planning: imagine wild success, and then work out how to get there. But recently he said try to imagine how you would like to be in ten minutes time, and start trying to make that a reality. For me, that means how do I get back to a mental state of unbridled productivity (i.e. focused) quickly?

Certainty through the jettisoning of all other distracting alternatives is a great state of mind to find oneself in. I think we have to get there minute by minute, or even moment by moment, trying to turn off the endless chatter and re-evaluations that fill our minds. Doing the thinking up front is clearly a major component in getting there.

As for the mind dump, I can’t say enough good things about it. I feel that the mind (mine anyway) is a knot of assumptions, automatic reactions, and some terrible habitual thought patterns. I read somewhere recently that up to 80% of our daily actions and reactions are habit and routine driven. If we want to change behaviour we have to dismantle an awful lot of mental infrastructure.

Over the last few weeks I have been carrying a small notebook in my pocket. I experience immense amounts of stress in work, largely, I believe, self generated. Now, in the heat of battle, I take notes, and I have grabbed some key insights into how to make things better.

Several times David has remarked how quickly we can forget a light bulb moment despite the fact that we are convinced that its brilliance makes it unforgettable. Recording a string of self-observations over a period of time yields amazing information: just compare it to keeping that knot of stress and uncertainty clenched in the front of the mind. Cognition can be distributed along the time line as well as across a mind map.

David

N

nancyrezmer

An impulsive moment inspired by Arianna

Thanks for sharing your post Dave. I enjoyed reading it after listening to David's interview with Arianna.

It was about 24 hours after I listened to Arianna's interview that I found myself asking someone
"How come you are not writing down the information I just gave you down?"

I couldn't believe I had the boldness to ask, especially since I just met the person about 30 minutes earlier at a conference. But I know the question came right out of Arianna's interview. The funny part is that it seemed so natural to ask! Fortunately, my new friend had a great sense of humor...and agreed with me, so I gave him a piece of paper from my handy note capture tool so that he could redeem himself.

I guess I'm not so naive anymore to assume that people who nod their heads as they listen are actually capturing any content. So my own inner signal to "save my breath" is to notice whether or not the listener has some type of capture tool, especially if the information is detailed. I'm sure this one change in my behavior will help my "GTD Next Action" batting average go way up! :cool:

Nancy

rawilson

Registered
waste of my time

Frankly listening to Arianna was a waste of my time - while a very intelligent and thought provoking person, I found this "In Coversation" did nothing to assist/challenge me toward improved life/work effectiveness.

Dave John

Registered
nancyrezmer;43595 said:
It was about 24 hours after I listened to Arianna's interview that I found myself asking someone
"How come you are not writing down the information I just gave you down?"

Nancy

Yes, there are two dangers when someone does not write something down:

Firstly, they feel that what has been said is so self evident that they will never forget it;

Secondly, and potentially more disastrous, they think they have caught your intent, but in fact may have misinterpreted the conversation. Having the next actions externalised on paper will eliminate a lot of misunderstanding and prevent any parties travelling a hundred miles down the wrong road.

David

John Atchison

Registered
Enjoyed it

I ws a bit skeptical at first but after listenin to the whole thing, I found that it was on balace an interest diversion.

B

boumarl

I had the same reaction

rawilson;43720 said:
Frankly listening to Arianna was a waste of my time - while a very intelligent and thought provoking person, I found this "In Coversation" did nothing to assist/challenge me toward improved life/work effectiveness.

I listened to the whole thing last night. Afterward (despite what I interpreted as David Allen's last-ditch attempt at the end to salvage some useful GTD content out of what had been an unfocused hour-long conversation), I felt like my time had been wasted.

Part of it, I confess, was my dislike of her using time that was supposed to help us learn about GTD to instead air her deeply held political views, and to puff up her Huffington Post. (By the way, after you listen to her claim in the interview that her Huffington Post will be focused on facts, and that the site won't get involved in personal ad hominem attacks, take a look at this entry from today (a Thanksgiving Day prayer for the Vice President to die).)

And I thought David Allen was way too reverential in letting her steer the conversation toward politics, which I didn't want to hear about, and not focusing nearly enough on what GTD insights she could share with us.

My complaint is not really her politics. My assumption is that GTD adherents come from all political corners. There may be a number of GTD Connect members who found her political comments correct and deeply meaningful, maybe even inspiring. That's great, but not what I subscribed to GTD Connect for.

Bring on more practical suggestions from guests like Marc Orchant or Merlin Mann. For all I know, their political views are just as deeply held as Ms. Huffington's, but they don't let that bleed over into their GTD commentary.

Rich

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
This has been the most disappointing interview for me since I joined Connect and has left me seriously questioning the value of my subscription... There are some other things that I need to listen to that maybe will restore my faith, like the Horizons of Focus which I am looking forward to, but this interview has just left me struggling to see the point.

As in all the interviews, there were a few nuggets... I know they are there... the problem is I have tried to listening to this interview twice properly and re-wound the tracks several times.. and I get so switched off by the political discussions that I miss the GTD stuff when it finally comes up.

I did pick up that sleep is a good thing to stay on top of your game and made me think that I need to do more to make sure that I am well rested... but there were so many possibilities that could have made this interview great which just didn't come out for me.

Particularly research, writing to deadlines etc. How GTD is applied in this sense.

I keep going back to Peter Gallant's interview as the best guest interview I have heard so far. The reason for this - it was focused on GTD. Peter was willing to share his insights, his system, his processes etc, which, when I am subscribing for GTD content, that is what I want to hear and learn about.

In this interview, and to some lesser extent the Steve Leveen interview, the GTD content was almost secondary.

I am going to try and listen to this interview again this week and see if I can get some more out of it.

Paul

C

cris

I have heard two interviews now, the one with Steve Leveen and the current one, and the advice I found most helpful was that Leveen exercises daily and that Huffington gets enough sleep. I was inspired enough to find time to swim twice last week and to work on my insomnia.

I get the feeling that both of these people have substantial external support. Leveen has a wife and Huffington is a wealthy divorcee, both situations having the potential to remove huge sources of stress in a person's life.

GTD has helped me get my commitments tracked and my paperwork in enviable order, but as far as the next step is concerned - stress-free productivity - the message I'm getting from these interviews is that the world can be your oyster if you're not a married woman with young children.

jodha

Registered
reactions arianna huffington post

What did I get from the interview with Arianna.

1) Procrastination : well I ordered Onbecoming fearless. What keeps me from doing a certain number of things. It started and inpired thinking. That was quit good.

2) What makes me not being focused and how can I improve on this. How can I get beter in getting back on the bandwagon after falling of because of an interruption. Didn't get answers on how to do that but got the inpression that Arianna does a good job in doing that.

3) How to unhook and recharge.

4) The discussion with David about work and Life instead of what's next is inspiring.

5) How A. manages to write blogs and books with a greater ease than before. That there are ways to improve and how to do that.

6) the phrase about what :'I'm pro this, am pro that' keeps resonating with me. It's another way to look at the things. Arianna could have said I'm against this and this.

I must agree that this interview was less about GTd as I would have liked but it gave me other insights.

I liked it.

Johan

S

sniche

Liked it

I like hearing the different points of view people have. I think it is way too one-dimensional to hear people talk about how the use GTD without understanding a little about their lives. Without an understanding of what they do and have done it becomes so academic. That is the kind of info you can get from 43 Folders.

ciordia9

Registered
I really enjoyed "Life has more imagination than I do." and what that really connotates.

I found it worthwhile hearing how her world ticked and how gtd kind of merged into it. It was more of a gestalt conversation than something of specificity but I found it endearing and worth recommending to others. Lots of little gems scattered throughout and if you couldn't bear the few minutes of her world view have a little patience.

-a

johnmcoulter

Registered
Agreed. This and the Steve Leveen interview have plenty of "little gems" in them that warrant repeated listenings. And she has a blog/website with a great deal of political content, what would anyone expect her to talk about? Each of the interviewees to date has talked about their profession, no reason to think she would/could/should be any different in that regard.

John

ciordia9;43827 said:
I really enjoyed "Life has more imagination than I do." and what that really connotates.

I found it worthwhile hearing how her world ticked and how gtd kind of merged into it. It was more of a gestalt conversation than something of specificity but I found it endearing and worth recommending to others. Lots of little gems scattered throughout and if you couldn't bear the few minutes of her world view have a little patience.

-a

darlakbrown

Registered
johnmcoulter;43830 said:
Agreed. This and the Steve Leveen interview have plenty of "little gems" in them that warrant repeated listenings. And she has a blog/website with a great deal of political content, what would anyone expect her to talk about? Each of the interviewees to date has talked about their profession, no reason to think she would/could/should be any different in that regard.

John

I agree with this also John. It's her world. Is she supposed to pretend it's not for the sake of an interview. I thought it was interesting hearing how GTD has helped her balance her home life. Also her thoughts on vacations with a blackberry was an interesting perspective. Additionally, I enjoyed hearing about how she manages her time and her work/home environment.

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Different strokes

Thanks for all your comments. The truth is, I'm picking people I know are very productive in at least some sphere of their lives, who also have some interface with GTD consciously. I'm always fishing for the "gems" and "keys" that may ring others' bells. My intention with these interviews is to provide an ongoing framework within which people can recognize what's common and what's different for all of us, especially with how we're getting things done. We've found that that kind of "triangulation," from various sources, over time, provides the most solid kind of reinforcement of what GTD is about. And, for those of you who are only looking for how someone sets up their lists (which I understand has value), there's as much about GTD that has to do with how someone manifests their standards and visions as keeping track of phone calls. I love peoples' stories - pretty much anyone's - and hopefully I don't manifest too many annoying biases in my tastes. Many different people to come... - David

C

cris

triangulation

I do remember the concept of triangulation which you mentioned at a conference I attended in Boston a few years back. It inspired me to start hosting a monthly brunch for all my different friends, which lasted for about two years. It also occurred to me after I posted my bitter comment about GTD not being for working mothers of school-aged children with high-maintenance spouses (busy doctor), there was one reason to take the Huffington interview seriously. Sure, there is not much about her life that I can apply to mine, other than saying "no" to that beer I was going to have to unwind on Monday night. But who knows, someday I may want to write a book. There are a few book ideas on my someday maybe list.

lisae

Registered
Getting Unhooked

What resonated with me on the Arianna interview was the difference in people's need and comfort with unhooking to recharge. I've struggled with this concept and my own preference is to not unhook and I'm OK with that. But there's a social pressure in phrases or concepts like "work/life" balance, which imply that the 2 are separate and if you dare blend them and don't make a clear break between the two you are going against social norms.

GrantH

Registered
Policing Herself

Arianna made reference to being a sleuth regarding what works for her and what hinders her. That hit home with me when coupled with first GTD Quarterly received this past week. I became a self-appointed detective and investigate myself. One thing I did was to make lists of those things that contribute to my GTD and those things that hinder it.

Wow! Since then I have made some decisions to change behaviors, patterns, and thinking. The result is a greater feeling of control and peace. Now the challenge is to continue to get better.

Thanks!

cwinser

Registered
What I liked best about the Arianna Huffington interview was that she is devoting her life to a purpose that she is passionate about, and she is having an impact. Not that other interviewees are not, but I identified with the risk of speaking out, taking a stand on a controversial subject. I have since noticed how often I am silent in conversations, listening to others but not expressing my opinions, afraid of being attacked. This interview has inspired me to look more closely at what is important to me and what I want to do/say about it. I tend to use the GTD technology at the 20,000 foot level. This conversation challenges me to ascend to a higher level to evaluate my priorities.

Think I'll put Arianna's book On Being Fearless on my Christmas list, too.

Stodge

Registered
GTD Quarterly

GrantHBS;43938 said:
first GTD Quarterly received this past week.

Thanks for pointing out that this was available. Did anyone else recieve an email about this or any form of notification that it was available for download? :(

I'm off to read it now :mrgreen:

R

revmhj

Stodge;43957 said:
Thanks for pointing out that this was available. Did anyone else recieve an email about this or any form of notification that it was available for download? :(

I'm off to read it now :mrgreen:

If you are subscribed via iTunes it should update automatically. That's how it ended up on my iPod and that's probably the only reason I listened to it during a long drive over Thanksgiving. It should have also arrived by mail in the form of a CD.

Speaking of mail, I was please to receive my first Connect Quarterly magazine thingy this weekend. I tried scanning it during the commercials of the SEC Champsionship game but I think I'm going to have to sit down and read it without distraction at lunch today.

Also, regarding the Huffington interview: I liked hearing her story. My gripe is that the sound quality was low. I couldn't hear her very well through my pick-up truck's stereo.