Capturing ideas in the shower

A

Anonymous

Waterproof paper notebooks

I haven't tried this in the shower, but there is a company that makes notebooks with waterproof paper. You can write on it with pencil or pen. Maybe you can find a place to leave this in the shower.

http://www.riteintherain.com/

Good luck.

P

pd_workman

I've heard of others putting pda in a ziploc bag, you can still write on it through the plastic. I think this was on the Llamagraphics board ages ago.

Pam

J

jmarkey

FYI: When I was Christmas shopping, I saw that Sears is selling a noteboard for the shower.

Qeran

Registered
Capturing Ideas in the Shower

I wonder if the Sears Item is similar to the one I noticed in a Get Organized catalog. The picture shows a white writing surface surrounded by a thin grey frame with a small horizontal ledge at the bottom to hold the crayons. :arrow:
http://www.shopgetorganized.com/
Item #22898

----
Note: I am not associated with the organization.

severance1970

Registered
On GTD Fast, David mentions a technique of "getting ideas out of your head in your head" -- that is, without a capture tool handy. When he's out jogging and gets an idea that he can't stop to write down, he very clearly imagines himself where he can write down the idea, suddenly remembering the idea; then he can forget about it. This kind of imagery creates an associational trigger: the next time you see the desk where you can write the idea down, the idea comes back.

It sounded weird (David acknowledges practices like this as "the California stuff"), but it's worked the few times I've tried it, much to my surprise.

A

Anonymous

Using imagery really works. I use it to remember whether I locked the front door, turned off the oven, turned off the iron, the place I parked my car etc. It's saved me quite a bit of time.

On another note, why is it that the great ideas don't nag us continuously like "pay bills" or "change the oil".

J

Jason Womack

The ability to imagine completion

Anonymous said:
On another note, why is it that the great ideas don't nag us continuously like "pay bills" or "change the oil".

Personally, I've found that I can spend time "worrying" about the things that I know how to do / have done in the past.

It's the "big" things that I think about and there's a piece of me inside that thinks, "hmmm...should I really start even thinking on that, if I don't know if I can do it?"

Then, I've realized the the limitation I've faced, time and time again, is not so much the external perameters of what I can/can't do. Too often, I'm limited by what I have been able to, in the past, imagine completing.

C

chinarut

this is a funny thread - admittedly, i think of things in the shower too and in the buddhist tradition, also found that it's a great time (and place!) to let go and meditate! :lol:

moises

Registered
chinarut said:
this is a funny thread - admittedly, i think of things in the shower too and in the buddhist tradition, also found that it's a great time (and place!) to let go and meditate! :lol:

Chinarut,

So that's why DA calls it "mind like water." :lol:

"Meditation" is too heavy a word for me. But there's is nothing more relaxing for me than to make the water very hot and just stand under the showerhead. I go into a trance instantly.

stargazer_rick

Registered
Re: SCUBA Gear

Scott_L_Lewis said:
Somewhere - possibly on this board - I read a suggestion to go to a dive shop and buy a diver's slate. Just put it in the shower, and when ideas strike, write them on the slate.

I've had "Buy a Divers Slate" on my Someday/Maybe list for a long time. This week it made it to my @errands list. During lunch yesterday I stopped by a dive shop about 4-miles from my work and bought one for $10.

This morning I captured 3 ideas that I would have otherwise probably lost. This little tool will pay for itself quickly! If folks don't want to pay for shipping and handling associated with ordering online, I would guess that most medium sized towns will have a dive shop close by.

J

jmarkey

Re: Capturing Ideas in the Shower

Qeran said:
I wonder if the Sears Item is similar to the one I noticed in a Get Organized catalog. The picture shows a white writing surface surrounded by a thin grey frame with a small horizontal ledge at the bottom to hold the crayons. :arrow:
http://www.shopgetorganized.com/
Item #22898

----
Note: I am not associated with the organization.

I think that is the same one I saw in Sears. The product was made by Perfect Solutions. I found it on the web at the following site: http://www.howardluggage.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0309/product-id/526176.html

I think Sears was selling it for less than $10 (it was on sale).

J

JonathanAquino

Another idea would be the Magna-Doodle toy (or clones, which are smaller and cheaper). The tip of the "pen" has a magnet that creates the lines. To erase the image, simply slide the slider. See pictures below.
magna-doodle.jpg

magna-doodle-erased.jpg

J

JonathanAquino

For those who don't want to spend money on a magna-doodle, and have some crayons lying around, just write on your shower wall with crayons. But it takes a bit of effort to rub it out.

Pictures:

3127062_1ba9e7ab18_m.jpg

In-shower idea-capture equipment:

3127087_58b061c915.jpg

J

JonathanAquino

Eric - Great pic -- I love the idea of having a whiteboard *by* the shower. It's so simple, and it sidesteps the water-on-whiteboard issue nicely.

Eric Mack

GTD Connect
Overdoing it?

While I use the whiteboard often, I've found that I actually use the yellow pad more. Why? Because I can take the paper and toss it in my in-box without double capturing.

Just the other day, I had an idea - while in the shower in fact -- that I could take an old polyvision whiteboard and mount it in place of my dry erase board near the shower. This way, notes that I take in the shower would automatically appear in my inbox as PDF, ready to process.

The ultimate in overkill.

Cheers,

Eric

C

CaleMilton

Invented by Shepard Humphries

This item was invented by Shepard Humphries in Wyoming. One of the posters was right-on with the wireless LAN uploading capability.

Shepard is also working onsoftware development to sync the .wav file into audio-to-text and specify via voice command where the file should go, eg. while in the shower push the Record Button and say, "Outlook Calendar.... 10-12-2002 10 am call Ruth regarding her advice. End. " Then you would press the Sync button and the .wav file would be sent to the computer where Humphrie's software would convert it to text and send it to the correct program, in this case MS Outlook.

I think this product has not yet completed R&D and manufaturing and distribution...

He is also working on a "Dream Catcher" alarm clock that does similar... and many other tasks...

L

luann@stardiving.com

Anonymous;19384 said:
I haven't tried this in the shower, but there is a company that makes notebooks with waterproof paper. You can write on it with pencil or pen. Maybe you can find a place to leave this in the shower.

http://www.riteintherain.com/

Good luck.

Ditto - I was about to post this. You can get either individual sheets of paper or various kinds of notebooks. I use wire-bound notebooks underwater, bound journals for field notebooks, and currently have a small stapled notebook for the shower - I always think of my best lesson plans there. Use a pencil.