Color-coding calendar entries

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
How many of you color-code your calendar entries? If you do, what categories do you use? Some people say that color-coding let's you see what type of commitments you have over the week and how you are spending your time.

bupkes

Registered
Yep I do that :)
I have categories for things like 1:1 client work, internal/external meetings, and general time blocks for things like general to-dos (just cranking through my todo list) or for deeper project work stuff.

RuthMcT

Registered
My colour codes mark out particular areas of focus - church activities, study, volunteering, everything else.

zaneta

Registered
My job is broken into two streams, so I have a different colour for both of those as well as for personal and for the couple social clubs I'm in. Since I have to switch gears/code switch a bit I find that helpful.
Though really like @Cpu_Modern for information vs action

Padre C

Registered
I have a color for regular events that happen every day or week, one for appointments (ie not reoccurring), and one for information (things I may or may not need to do something for, but I want to be aware of. I call this one my community calendar).

Marcus Ramtohul

GTD Connect
I use colours for the different calendars in my view: my wife and I can see each other's calendar's and I run/share more than one for the multiple roles I have!

My work and personal calendars are green.

My wife is blue

Family commitments like church, play dates, date night in Orange

Band work - rehearsals, gigs in Purple

Anything in Brown is a "pencil" - a shoot that client has optioned me for - so I need to be aware of - but not 100% committed to until contracts signed - allows me to hold the commitment but also chase for closure if another client is enquiring about my time.

Finally, Liverpool Football Club fixtures are of course in RED ;)

RuthMcT

Registered
I use colours for the different calendars in my view: my wife and I can see each other's calendar's and I run/share more than one for the multiple roles I have!

My work and personal calendars are green.

My wife is blue

Family commitments like church, play dates, date night in Orange

Band work - rehearsals, gigs in Purple

Anything in Brown is a "pencil" - a shoot that client has optioned me for - so I need to be aware of - but not 100% committed to until contracts signed - allows me to hold the commitment but also chase for closure if another client is enquiring about my time.

Finally, Liverpool Football Club fixtures are of course in RED ;)
I like the idea of a different colour for things that are provisional only. At the moment i put them in brackets or with a ?, but I think I'll try the colour version

Marcus Ramtohul

GTD Connect
I like the idea of a different colour for things that are provisional only. At the moment i put them in brackets or with a ?, but I think I'll try the colour version
Works really well for us to see those things at a glance - as we have so many of them in my world!

I also tried different colours for each site I managed - but this was overkill - unnecessary extra step in clarifying and organising that just slowed me down.

Deirdre

Registered
How many of you color-code your calendar entries? If you do, what categories do you use? Some people say that color-coding let's you see what type of commitments you have over the week and how you are spending your time.
I do. I have a color for my many different hats: benefits, committees, personal dev, prof dev, on-off boarding, grant work, staffing and emp relations. I even have a color for my weekly review. :)