Comparing GTD Implementations in Evernote, Todoist, NirvanaHQ, FacileThings a

Eddie Smo

Registered
Hi Gnopps,
Thanks for noticing the typo, I fixed the link now.

I haven't tried both of your suggestions. GTDNext seems to be similar to NirvanaHQ but the UI looks quite messy. Skedpal is a very different beast altogether that doesn't seem to be implementing GTD, but it has an interesting approach to calendar scheduling.

Gnopps

Registered
Hi Gnopps,
Thanks for noticing the typo, I fixed the link now.

I haven't tried both of your suggestions. GTDNext seems to be similar to NirvanaHQ but the UI looks quite messy. Skedpal is a very different beast altogether that doesn't seem to be implementing GTD, but it has an interesting approach to calendar scheduling.
GTDNext is actually very capable, but development is slow. For me, a merge of GTDNext and Facilethings would be awesome.

Skedpal labels itself around scheduling, but I don't use that feature. I use it as a normal GTD-system and let the system show me what tasks to do today.

TesTeq

Registered
Hi everyone, in the last few months I've done a comparison of various tools to implement my GTD system (I've used Evernote for years and decided it's time for an upgrade). I really my write-up helps others make their decision as well.

You can read about it here:
https://eddiesmo.github.io/comparin...evernote-todoist-nirvanahq-facilethings-more/
Great article! But... something is missing... Nozbe? I think it would be fair to look at Nozbe (Michael Hyatt's favorite tool) before declaring NirvanaHQ's victory. ;)

Eddie Smo

Registered
Great article! But... something is missing... Nozbe? I think it would be fair to look at Nozbe (Michael Hyatt's favorite tool) before declaring NirvanaHQ's victory. ;)
Hi TesTeq, I did try Nozbe for just a few minutes but I didn't like it so much. Since I haven't tried it for an extended period of time I feel that I am not in a position to really review it though.

TesTeq

Registered
Hi TesTeq, I did try Nozbe for just a few minutes but I didn't like it so much. Since I haven't tried it for an extended period of time I feel that I am not in a position to really review it though.
Thanks! It's great that we've got so many options to choose from.

blacktiger990

Registered
Great guide Eddie! I'm personally a Todoist user as I found the intuitive interface that much better and there are so many small things that really make the experience. For example: you can copy and paste files/screenshots directly into the comments! I do see myself moving to Nirvana in the future and will keep a close eye on how it matures. But for now, its Todoist for me :)

frank F

Registered
Thank you so much for this overview. I don´t really use GTD that long compared with others (just over two years now) but I agree this is a life changing method. I have always liked efficient processes so this was really something for me. I also like technology so when I started two years ago I tried an abundance of apps and webbased systems. Frankly, if people are only half way tech savvy I can so recommend to rather use an electronic solution instead of paper. This totally reduces time spent and makes for example the reviews much less cumbersome (you can do it on the couch..). As this seems to be a big hurdle for many , do give it a try.

So it strikes me that while two years ago there were seemed to be quite a few alternatives, I have also settled with Nirvana already back then. Other alternatives had disadvantages eg not PC compatible or not cloud based. This is a must, i.e. that you can use both on the mobile and online. The life long pro application now costs 40 USD which at the time was very expensive. in the meantime I have come to find that good online content overall costs much more than a few years ago so it´s less striking.

Agree with the cons - Calendar integration is missing and not many updates - although basic functionality is very good.

It would be interesting to hear from others how they are using software to reflect the principles from the book such as horizons, goals etc, since this can be easier covered in paper format (I think but I am still learning of course)

mcogilvie

Registered
I enjoyed reading the requirements you had for your list tool. A lot is your choice. For example, you don’t necessarily need a way to distinguish next actions from “later” actions, and contexts don’t have to be labels. Most of the systems you mention have a very web-y, cross-platform feel to them. I prefer native apps like Things and Omnifocus which have a smoother interface and better integration. But to each his own.

frank F

Registered
I had not tried this out at the time but from what I have read since then Nozbe might have ticked all my boxes as well - it might just be more recent. Could be useful to include in the overview (or at least keep in mind as an alternative ).

Eddie Smo

Registered
Great guide Eddie! I'm personally a Todoist user as I found the intuitive interface that much better and there are so many small things that really make the experience. For example: you can copy and paste files/screenshots directly into the comments! I do see myself moving to Nirvana in the future and will keep a close eye on how it matures. But for now, its Todoist for me :)

Hi blacktiger, thanks!
Just FYI, I don't expect NirvanaHQ to get many updates in the future. The development there is quite dormant in the last couple of years. They are still releasing features but small ones and very slowly. The software is really mature though - no bugs, everything works. And the support is responsive.
I think with NirvanaHQ you either like it as it is today or use another software.

Eddie Smo

Registered
Thank you so much for this overview. I don´t really use GTD that long compared with others (just over two years now) but I agree this is a life changing method. I have always liked efficient processes so this was really something for me. I also like technology so when I started two years ago I tried an abundance of apps and webbased systems. Frankly, if people are only half way tech savvy I can so recommend to rather use an electronic solution instead of paper. This totally reduces time spent and makes for example the reviews much less cumbersome (you can do it on the couch..). As this seems to be a big hurdle for many , do give it a try.

So it strikes me that while two years ago there were seemed to be quite a few alternatives, I have also settled with Nirvana already back then. Other alternatives had disadvantages eg not PC compatible or not cloud based. This is a must, i.e. that you can use both on the mobile and online. The life long pro application now costs 40 USD which at the time was very expensive. in the meantime I have come to find that good online content overall costs much more than a few years ago so it´s less striking.

Agree with the cons - Calendar integration is missing and not many updates - although basic functionality is very good.

It would be interesting to hear from others how they are using software to reflect the principles from the book such as horizons, goals etc, since this can be easier covered in paper format (I think but I am still learning of course)

Hey Frank, looks like we arrived at similar conclusions :)
I also just bought the lifetime account for 50$, which compared to the competition seems more than fair.

I mostly do the rest of the principles from the book in a digital notebook: OneNote.
I write a new page every week, month and year with the appropriate review.
I write goal pyramids once a couple of years or so.
I also track habits I'm trying to form and generally write my thoughts once in a while.

Hope this helps!

Eddie Smo

Registered
I enjoyed reading the requirements you had for your list tool. A lot is your choice. For example, you don’t necessarily need a way to distinguish next actions from “later” actions, and contexts don’t have to be labels. Most of the systems you mention have a very web-y, cross-platform feel to them. I prefer native apps like Things and Omnifocus which have a smoother interface and better integration. But to each his own.

Hi mcogilvie. Great to read another perspective.
I agree that next and later do not have to be separate.
And yes, I choose cross-platform apps cause I use mac, windows and android :)

Eddie Smo

Registered
I had not tried this out at the time but from what I have read since then Nozbe might have ticked all my boxes as well - it might just be more recent. Could be useful to include in the overview (or at least keep in mind as an alternative ).
I'll add a section to the post for other products that I haven't reviewed.

TesTeq

Registered
Just FYI, I don't expect NirvanaHQ to get many updates in the future. The development there is quite dormant in the last couple of years. They are still releasing features but small ones and very slowly. The software is really mature though - no bugs, everything works. And the support is responsive.
In this context I would like to add two more things about Nozbe:
1. They will be releasing a major update "Nozbe 4" with a preview available on April 4th, 2019. (Coincidence? I think not!).
2. Nozbe is 12 year old company and you can meet its founder - the real person (https://sliwinski.com) during the GTD Summit in Amsterdam. There are of course 20+ people in the company but you can directly tell the guy what you like and don't like in the software he has designed and created.
cc: @frank F

frank F

Registered
In this context I would like to add two more things about Nozbe:
1. They will be releasing a major update "Nozbe 4" with a preview available on April 4th, 2019. (Coincidence? I think not!).
2. Nozbe is 12 year old company and you can meet its founder - the real person (https://sliwinski.com) during the GTD Summit in Amsterdam. There are of course 20+ people in the company but you can directly tell the guy what you like and don't like in the software he has designed and created.
cc: @frank F
Thank you, I might try this out :)

frank F

Registered
Hey Frank, looks like we arrived at similar conclusions :)
I also just bought the lifetime account for 50$, which compared to the competition seems more than fair.

I mostly do the rest of the principles from the book in a digital notebook: OneNote.
I write a new page every week, month and year with the appropriate review.
I write goal pyramids once a couple of years or so.
I also track habits I'm trying to form and generally write my thoughts once in a while.

Hope this helps!
Hi interesting to see that we might "tick" in a similar fashion. I have started to use a habit former as well (way of life app - quite good but I stopped after a while since it better gets on your radar by itself after a while). Can also recommend the book atomic habits.

Before I went for Nirvana there were so many other things I have tried out. Starting with list apps of course, but in the end those were only lists. I also tried Trello which is a bit better but nothing close to a real GTD app. The big difference is that something like NIrvana (or similar apps) are literally like 3D To do lists. The tagging function which goes perpendicular to just 2D lists through everything which ever might to be done is just so powerful. I also very much like to establish projects and all sorts of lists which are somewhat interrelated.

Incidentally I had also used onenote for a while but then stopped. It´s kind of cool but nothing which can´t be done by windows. I feel that electronically I manage with windows and NIrvana. Then there is outlook. I have tried tasks, calendar, categories, inbox zero. Nothing works for me. it is a burden which can´t be kept up and which for me is not worthwhile.

Forgot to mention that for more complex projects, in particular also for work, I use mindmapping. This is also very good.

vino

Registered
Hi Eddie,
Great review, I have been using evernote for a year now. I find capturing data very easy with evernote.

Eddie Smo

Registered
Hi Eddie,
Great review, I have been using evernote for a year now. I find capturing data very easy with evernote.
Hi vino, yeah Evernote is really great for that.
The good news is, you can capture efficiently for other apps as well. Some even sync with Evernote so you can keep using your favorite capture tool :)