Considering Switching to Nirvana from FacileThings, Thoughts?

ivanjay205

Registered
I have been using FacileThings for a few months now.... I love how focused on GTD it is. Really great in that context. However, the UI is ugly, takes a lot of clicks to get anywhere, and the interface is VERY nonconsistent. In some areas even limits functionality. The developer is rapid to respond and great in that regard but it kind of feels like it is just him and when things happen they happen...

I looked at Nirvana, so sleek looking. Really love the interface. However, they clearly never update the app. That concerns me... but I guess not sure if it should? And the lack of calendar integration I will miss. I do like how in FT I can assign a next action a day and time if it is critical and it pops into my Outlook calendar.

Thoughts from anyone that has done this or is using Nirvana?

tdurden

Registered
I've looked at FacileThings and share your criticisms. Too clicky. I use Nirvana and while I continuously keep my eyes open for alternatives, I always come back to it.

I also don't like the slow updates for Nirvana, but... that doesn't change the fact that the functionality in the app as it is today - stale though it may be - is the best choice for me.

PS: There's been some mention that Nirvana may incorporate google calendar integration. No idea when though.

ivanjay205

Registered
Yea I am giving Nirvana a try now. Biggest headache is the transition as I have so much in FacileThings that I am trying to move. I just couldnt deal with the inconsistencies...

ivanjay205

Registered
I am an avid user of Nirvana. It is wonderful. They ARE coming our with updates, so stay tuned.
Do you know or teasing me on that :) lol They post nothing, share nothing, and do nothing update wise so it is so frustrating. I asked them in November they said its coming.... Now it is March and its coming....

I wish they would post something.... It seems like such a strong tool with some added features it would be a home run.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Do you know or teasing me on that :) lol They post nothing, share nothing, and do nothing update wise so it is so frustrating. I asked them in November they said its coming.... Now it is March and its coming....

I wish they would post something.... It seems like such a strong tool with some added features it would be a home run.
I am not teasing you. I have been in contact with them and they promise that exciting things are coming. But no timeline.

Brenaud10

Registered
I am not teasing you. I have been in contact with them and they promise that exciting things are coming. But no timeline.
Thank you, your words have restored my confidence and trust in the app. It is a beautiful piece of software that does exactly what it is suppose to do...organize my life.

ivanjay205

Registered
Thank you, your words have restored my confidence and trust in the app. It is a beautiful piece of software that does exactly what it is suppose to do...organize my life.
Hopefully. I was even nervous to sign up as I have looked for months but been afraid they would disappear.

TesTeq

Registered

In the meantime Nozbe's CEO has a "coronavirus/remote work" "ask me anything" live sessions everyday. Just saying...
I think the confidence that the team cares about the application and users of this application is essential.
Reputation is built on frequent and honest communication and action.
@Longstreet @Brian Renaud

Brenaud10

Registered
In the meantime Nozbe's CEO has a "coronavirus/remote work" "ask me anything" live sessions everyday. Just saying...
I think the confidence that the team cares about the application and users of this application is essential.
Reputation is built on frequent and honest communication and action.
@Longstreet @Brian Renaud
I whole hearty agree. Communication is key, something that I wish the developer(s) of nirvana would take into account. Thank you for sharing

Hammer

Registered
I started GTD with IQTell and moved to Facilethings after IQTell imploded. At that time looked at many systems (I hate to think about the amount of time I spent looking at and agonizing over the options...) and settled on Facilethings. I have to admit to still watching a couple of other systems (Everdo and MyLifeOrganized mainly) and share the concern that Francisco Saez is the key to Facilethings...

Francisco has made good progress on the parts of the system he has redesigned and the "look and feel" has grown on me. I am still a new GTDer and probably need the structure enforced by Facilethings :) I have also had several different email conversations with Francisco and find him to be very concerned about issues people have and willing to take suggestions. Many of the initial suggestions I had were items he had setup the way it is to keep to a more strict GTD style. After using the program, having email interactions with him (and reading his ebook) I can feel his commitment to GTD.

I find the more I use the system the more I figure out better ways to make the most of it (as you do with any system - the more you use it the better you get). Other than a native client and not having my data in the cloud the only things I would change at this point are mainly minor (and more of a preference in the way I want to work than a glaring omission of the system).

ivanjay205 I would be happy to compare the way we each use the system to learn from each other if you decide to stay with FT (also there is a reddit group that just started up for FT - not allot of activity yet but hopefully it gets more traction).

And for Longstreet - hi from a little south west of you (Ottumwa) - take care - you are in the CV hot spot for our state. Stay safe.

Scott

ivanjay205

Registered
I started GTD with IQTell and moved to Facilethings after IQTell imploded. At that time looked at many systems (I hate to think about the amount of time I spent looking at and agonizing over the options...) and settled on Facilethings. I have to admit to still watching a couple of other systems (Everdo and MyLifeOrganized mainly) and share the concern that Francisco Saez is the key to Facilethings...

Francisco has made good progress on the parts of the system he has redesigned and the "look and feel" has grown on me. I am still a new GTDer and probably need the structure enforced by Facilethings :) I have also had several different email conversations with Francisco and find him to be very concerned about issues people have and willing to take suggestions. Many of the initial suggestions I had were items he had setup the way it is to keep to a more strict GTD style. After using the program, having email interactions with him (and reading his ebook) I can feel his commitment to GTD.

I find the more I use the system the more I figure out better ways to make the most of it (as you do with any system - the more you use it the better you get). Other than a native client and not having my data in the cloud the only things I would change at this point are mainly minor (and more of a preference in the way I want to work than a glaring omission of the system).

ivanjay205 I would be happy to compare the way we each use the system to learn from each other if you decide to stay with FT (also there is a reddit group that just started up for FT - not allot of activity yet but hopefully it gets more traction).

And for Longstreet - hi from a little south west of you (Ottumwa) - take care - you are in the CV hot spot for our state. Stay safe.

Scott
Thanks Scott! I appreciate that although I started the process of abandoning ship and transitioning to Nirvana. I LOVE the implementation of GTD and I LOVE how responsive Francisco is, I too have had a lot of conversations with him....

My concerns are that while it is pure to GTD it really lacks any type of modern day interface and whoever the designer is, is clearly not a polished designer that is with the times. Now I do own a design company (not web design but architectural for foodservice and hospitality) so I am a bit biased to good design :). But, the number of clicks are frustrating. I also find he is VERY strict on to suggestions, which in some ways is good, and even if it makes a lot of sense often I got the we are not going to do that. But he has agreed with stuff and said it is on the pipeline.

But, for example, during the weekly review it would drive me nuts that you could not clarify with time, energy, and all of the information you could clarify in the main clarify stage. As I mentioned just inconsistent....

It is by far the best implementation out there in the clunkiest of software. And my primary concern is that it is all Francisco.... If he ever lost interest, had a financial problem, etc. FacileThings is gone.... And they have no way to get data out of the platform.

Nirvana is a polished UI, good implementation (probably a solid #2 and right there with Things but it works with web on pc). My primary concern has been the lack of development but if you contact support they respond promptly so I guess they are working on stuff as mentioned earlier in this thread. I just dont understand a software company issuing yearly updates at this point in life....

If Francisco hired a real designer and straightened out the functionality and UI I would stay there for sure....

Brian Cohen

Registered
But, for example, during the weekly review it would drive me nuts that you could not clarify with time, energy, and all of the information you could clarify in the main clarify stage. As I mentioned just inconsistent....

They have stated the Weekly Review is currently being updated/re-designed to be more functional to the same UX as the current updated sections, so this is coming.

I don't know if I agree with you completely on the UI/UX, but I do see some of your points. I have come to actually enjoy using the FacileThings UI, and don't think there are too many clicks for my usage, no more then other apps significantly. Nirvana does have better keyboard shortcuts (As does Things, etc) so I give you that.

Why I really like Facilethings is the integration with Google Calendar and Evernote. I can use Evernote's ubiquitous capture, and immediately see it in FacileThings Clarify, images and all. Also, I can have Project and general Reference material in Evernote tied into the FacileThing UI. And then with Google Calendar (also Office 365), I can clearly see my hard landscape and must-do dated tasks right next to my Next Actions that are not as time sensitive. Honestly, if Nirvana had Google Calendar and further integrations with something like Evernote, different story, at least for me...I likely would be using Nirvana :)

ivanjay205

Registered
They have stated the Weekly Review is currently being updated/re-designed to be more functional to the same UX as the current updated sections, so this is coming.

I don't know if I agree with you completely on the UI/UX, but I do see some of your points. I have come to actually enjoy using the FacileThings UI, and don't think there are too many clicks for my usage, no more then other apps significantly. Nirvana does have better keyboard shortcuts (As does Things, etc) so I give you that.

Why I really like Facilethings is the integration with Google Calendar and Evernote. I can use Evernote's ubiquitous capture, and immediately see it in FacileThings Clarify, images and all. Also, I can have Project and general Reference material in Evernote tied into the FacileThing UI. And then with Google Calendar (also Office 365), I can clearly see my hard landscape and must-do dated tasks right next to my Next Actions that are not as time sensitive. Honestly, if Nirvana had Google Calendar and further integrations with something like Evernote, different story, at least for me...I likely would be using Nirvana :)
Evernote doesnt do anything for me, but I do like the calendar integration and will miss that. But even that too I had problems with (outlook not google) as sometimes times would mess up on sync especially if I changed time zones. I have suggested calendar integration to Nirvana but at their pace maybe 2023

Brian Cohen

Registered
@ivanjay205 ,
All fair points. I was just playing around with Nirvana this morning, and yeah, the speed and keyboard shortcuts help. Really, a few more Nirvana features (local notification, Google calendar, etc.) would put it over the edge for a lot of folks, including myself.