Considering Switching to Nirvana from FacileThings, Thoughts?

Lopatamd

Registered
I really wish Nirvana had a full trial. I'd love to transfer my entire system over to test it out, not just monkey around with the limited free version.
the first month is 5$. try it.
once i uploaded all the projects/next actions/someday list/references to Nirvana, and i APPLIED the tags/areas i never went back and saw Instantly the power of the app - having that Bird's Eye view on Everything, and bought the whole app (around 49$)
I'll be using this for years

Lopatamd

Registered
but it also lacks any quick capture functionality.
i noticed that also so i'm using it rarely for 'capture' phase ( i mostly use a notebook for capturing the ideas if i'm not on my PC, then i'm processing them in the next 1-2 days )
but on the mobile APP it's that hard to input the capture stuff - all it takes is just 2 taps (open app -> click '+' icon)

Lopatamd

Registered
At some points, I have very similar feelings. That's why I strongly support Everdo project. It has all the good things that Nirvana has and great roadmap.
woah.. looking at the screenshots, the design is basically a copy of Nirvana lol :)

it's actually identical copycat to nirvana LOL - https://everdo.net/upgrade/
they added some checklists and renamed 'Reference list' to 'Notebook'

JMartinez

Registered
I wonder how we measure GTD faithfulness? What does it mean that Nirvana is "very faithful to GTD" and Nozbe, OmniFocus, Things and Todoist are "less faithful to GTD"? Is Nirvana's faithfulness 97% while Nozbe's 91%? And what about iOS Reminders? Faithfulness to GTD = 7%?
Let me be clear: IT'S RIDICULOUS. GTD is about maintaining the trusted system of lists and pieces of information. So all these apps are 100% faithful to GTD. @Longstreet @mcogilvie @JMartinez @Mateusz

Fortunately, GTD is tool-agnostic and any list management system can become a perfect GTD management system.

The perfect GTD tool doesn't exist, you know Allen himself tried it without success and in the past GTD submit made it public.

Nirvana is as GTD Friendly as any other tool. I think the implementation of GTD is done by the user and not by the tool. Proof of this is that in the David Allen Store itself, we have setups with Evernote, Omnifocus, Todoist, Google Apps, Onenote... Anyway, they are all 100% GTD Friendly

JMartinez

Registered
Hi, @JMartinez!

So, do you have a project called Someday/Maybe? And then list the someday categories as tasks, and make the list using the notes field inside the task?
Why do you have the tags? How od you use them?

I was doing like this: using the Reference area to create the lists:
View attachment 687

I once had those types of lists in Evernote, so I'm testing the options available on Nirvana.

Hi, excuse me, I haven't been here in days and now I saw your question.

No. I don't use reference lists as someday/maybe lists.

I put all the tasks that belong to Someday/Maybe in their corresponding organizational category, that is, in Someday/Maybe.

But I like to add a little more detail, as I learned in the Level 1 course in Barcelona (Spain)

Someday / Maybe it is very ambiguous, and a simple label, such as "Books" or "Restaurants" does not help cognitively to have Someday / Maybe well defined lists.

That's why I use longer tags, which allow me to add some more detail, leaving Someday / Maybe as a higher level and the tags as sublists.

I give you some examples:

Someday / Maybe...
Personal development books to read
Productivity books to read
Places to visit
Movies to watch
Things to check after COVID-19
Someday I want to...
Things I'd like to buy...
I'd like to write about...

I hope to explain myself well... Someday / Maybe I treat it like a folder and labels it like subfolders

GTD is about managing lists,
Next
Waiting
Scheduled
Someday

are smart, but they are very ambiguous and inconcrete, so the labels add one more level of detail

Here you can see my Someday / Maybe in Nirvana
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-24 a las 18.45.53.png

And here My Someday / Maybe in Microsoft To Do when i manage my lists with this tool

Approximately is the same structure....

Level
- Sublevel
- Sublevel
- Sublevel

Captura de pantalla 2020-04-24 a las 18.48.25.png

if you have any question, please, tell me

Greetings from Barcelona (Spain)

JMartinez

Registered
[QUOTE = "Fedja_b, publicación: 124044, miembro: 11419"]
Mis dos centavos en Nirvana:

Fui usuario pago de Nirvana HQ durante dos años. Realmente me gusta su aplicación web a pesar de la falta de actualizaciones. Es robusto y muy limpio. Incluso intenté replicar la GUI de Nirvana en otras aplicaciones.

Pero donde Nirvana falla para mí es en sus aplicaciones móviles muy por debajo de la media. La aplicación de Android no solo es torpe y engorrosa de usar, sino que también carece de cualquier funcionalidad de captura rápida. Mi teléfono es una herramienta de captura ubicua perfecta. Siempre está conmigo y ya soy adicto (no es algo bueno, pero bueno). Es por eso que lo primero que busco en una herramienta digital GTD es una buena aplicación móvil que tenga un widget o un acceso directo de notificación para capturar rápidamente cosas en la bandeja de entrada.

Realmente deseo que intensifiquen el desarrollo de sus aplicaciones móviles y los pongan al día con los estándares modernos. Si eso sucediera, estaría de vuelta en el abrazo de Nirvana en un instante.
[/CITAR]

puedes usar braintoss para capturarlo eficientemente en el nirvana.
Allen lo recomienda

Ariadne Marques

Registered
No. I don't use reference lists as someday/maybe lists.

I put all the tasks that belong to Someday/Maybe in their corresponding organizational category, that is, in Someday/Maybe.

But I like to add a little more detail, as I learned in the Level 1 course in Barcelona (Spain)

Someday / Maybe it is very ambiguous, and a simple label, such as "Books" or "Restaurants" does not help cognitively to have Someday / Maybe well defined lists.

That's why I use longer tags, which allow me to add some more detail, leaving Someday / Maybe as a higher level and the tags as sublists.

Thank you, @JMartinez ! Now I understand. I had my Someday/Maybe lists in Evernote and decided to move them to Nirvana. My concern was that I didn't want to see my "Maybe" list grouped together with things that I had temporarily parked or were "on hold" for the week. I like to keep my "next action" list for things I want to do in a timeframe of a week.

So, I'm using the Someday/Maybe category for everything that is off my radar for the next 3 months, and the "Later" category for everything else that is not currently on my "next action" list.
But instead of tags, I'm using projects for things like:
- Places to visit
- Courses to take, etc.

Luis Neto

Registered
Hi, all,

I decided to join this forum so I could take part in these discussions about Nirvana.
I used it from the end of 2017 until the beginning of 2019, and at that time I abandoned it and I have been using other applications.
The very slow pace of development, including to release issues I was reporting to them, contributed to my decision to abandon it.

A few days ago, I decided to revisit Nirvana and I am now giving it another try and I am enjoying it.

@Ariadne Marques : I prefer to use reference lists for type of items you mentioned ("places to visit", "books to read", etc)
I don't want to see these items mixed up with my tasks in Someday/Maybe.
I think it's good to be careful about using tags - not just in Nirvana but also in software applications in general - as having too many tags can make things difficult to manage.
Personally, I only have 2 kinds of tags in Nirvana: Areas (I have about 16 of them) and contexts (all of them prefixed with @).

Last edited:

Stephen Brown

Registered
Hello again @Ariadne Marques Nice to see you again here.

Hello.
Oh my good !!!
Seeing Todoist with so many colors, I feel like when I'm at a concert with 2,000 other people and I want to find my friend... it's hard for me to concentrate.

If you really want to have a bird's eye view in nirvana seeing all the content categorized according to the list in which it is stored, in the central panel, ... just follow these steps and enjoy what I call "The Hawk's eye"

1. Select an area of responsibility (you can do the same by selecting "All" but a lot of information will be displayed

2. Scroll on the sidebar to the label section.

3. Select the first "All" label

Look at the central part of the screen and see how all the content is organized by lists, including active, inactive and reference lists.

This is only a small example with one of my Areas of Responsability
View attachment 683

By the way.
I came to that conclusion in the year 2015. The feature that I was trying to replicate in the other task managers was "Focus" but the magic of "Focus" in Nirvana is that it is practically unattended. Just set a start date, expiration date, or both and it will appear only in Focus.

In the other tools the management and replication of a "Focus" was totally manual.

Nirvana for me is by far the best.
Hi, could you explain how you use the recurring tasks feature please? I see you have 3 recurring tasks that you use as triggers for your GTD reviews but what about normal recurring tasks?