Countries where GTD is popular

alsa

Registered
My guesses in order of most popular to less popular (as in "percentage of population that has heard of/tried to apply/are well aware of GTD:

US
Canada
UK
Norway
Sweden
Australia
New Zealand

As you can see these countries have a similar outlook on culture and life in general

I am inclined to place potentially high-ranking Germany, Japan, Italy down the list actually due to certain (perceived?) stereotypes.

If you consider the general computer-aware, technology-aware layer of the population of ANY country, I would think we would notice a potential interest in countries like India, Russia, Brazil, South Korea, Eastern Europe in general

alsa

Registered
Again, these are just hunches based on generalities but I am pretty sure I am correct.

Due to my many years of sifting through GTD-relation information online, I seem to notice these general trends through various web communities...

haga2000

Registered
Strange that Norway is on 4th place, being a Norwegian I have strugled for years to practise GTD, in a company where no one else do (or have heard of GTD.) I have copies of Getting things done and 7 habiths in my office, and get a laugh when people (collegues) see them.

I have never ever heard of a GTD seminar in Norway, but I have seen lecturer in productivy that had knowledge of the method. However I have taken a course where Stephen Covey 7 habiths where lectured and I known that franklin covey methods are teached at university level

alsa;77757 said:
My guesses in order of most popular to less popular (as in "percentage of population that has heard of/tried to apply/are well aware of GTD:

US
Canada
UK
Norway
Sweden
Australia
New Zealand

As you can see these countries have a similar outlook on culture and life in general

I am inclined to place potentially high-ranking Germany, Japan, Italy down the list actually due to certain (perceived?) stereotypes.

If you consider the general computer-aware, technology-aware layer of the population of ANY country, I would think we would notice a potential interest in countries like India, Russia, Brazil, South Korea, Eastern Europe in general

TesTeq

Registered
Shouldn't you contact Frode Odegard?

haga2000;77766 said:
Strange that Norway is on 4th place, being a Norwegian I have strugled for years to practise GTD, in a company where no one else do (or have heard of GTD.) I have copies of Getting things done and 7 habiths in my office, and get a laugh when people (collegues) see them.

I have never ever heard of a GTD seminar in Norway, but I have seen lecturer in productivy that had knowledge of the method. However I have taken a course where Stephen Covey 7 habiths where lectured and I known that franklin covey methods are teached at university level

Shouldn't you contact Frode Odegard? See his Oslo GTD Tweetup Video. He was one of the panelists during the GTD Summit last year.

alsa

Registered
You know you just proved my point by being from Norway yourself. :)

I think this forum in general is a good way to gauge the topic in question. Is there any way to have a "cloud of visitors" to this site like some blogs have? We would find out where most visitors come from.

It's interesting that we get a lot of people from Scandinavia with populations like 4 mil in Norway, 5 or so in Denmark, 9 mil in Sweden and not that many from countries with many millions more people.

I do think general computer and internet penetration plays a role (which isn't surprising).
Most GTDers and those with minimal interest in the approach have at least at some point experimented with a computer or electronics-based setup.

haga2000

Registered
Its probably true that in scandinavia, there are on average a higher propotion of a highly education work force, high IT use etc. and this is the reason that Dave Allen co. have a lot of customers from here.

but still, after having practised gtd for almost 8 years, I have never ever seen advertised a gtd seminar in Norway (I havent looked carefully eighter since i feel have basic command of the method) or heard of a company where gtd is common routine amonge the whole staff.

alsa;77771 said:
You know you just proved my point by being from Norway yourself. :)

I think this forum in general is a good way to gauge the topic in question. Is there any way to have a "cloud of visitors" to this site like some blogs have? We would find out where most visitors come from.

It's interesting that we get a lot of people from Scandinavia with populations like 4 mil in Norway, 5 or so in Denmark, 9 mil in Sweden and not that many from countries with many millions more people.

I do think general computer and internet penetration plays a role (which isn't surprising).
Most GTDers and those with minimal interest in the approach have at least at some point experimented with a computer or electronics-based setup.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Norway GTD Seminar

To clarify, Frode Odegard is not a GTD facilitator. He hosted our team to do a GTD Seminar in Oslo, as well as an "GTD Tweetup" in Oslo.

GTD Connect offers a networking option to see who the other members are near you. We do not enable that feature in the free, public forums.

toremor

Registered
GTD in Norway

haga2000;77779 said:
Its probably true that in scandinavia, there are on average a higher propotion of a highly education work force, high IT use etc. and this is the reason that Dave Allen co. have a lot of customers from here.

but still, after having practised gtd for almost 8 years, I have never ever seen advertised a gtd seminar in Norway (I havent looked carefully eighter since i feel have basic command of the method) or heard of a company where gtd is common routine amonge the whole staff.

I have practiced GTD for 5+ years now. The last year I have made contact with other GTD'ers i Norway. Until recently there was 3 GTD connect members from Norway, me and two others. Now we are 9 connect members.

Wayne Pepper and Ed Lamont did a great public seminar last October in Oslo with 10-12 participants.

alsa

Registered
It's interesting that you are the second person from Norway replying to this thread.

What about the rest of you? Come out from the shadows and let your country be represented!

TesTeq

Registered
Maybe they are just Getting Things Done...

alsa;77819 said:
It's interesting that you are the second person from Norway replying to this thread.

What about the rest of you? Come out from the shadows and let your country be represented!

Maybe they are just Getting Things Done... in shadows. :)

serge

Registered
I'm a Canadian living in the Netherlands. Can't say that I ever met another GTDer in the flesh!

Cheers,
Serge

Barb

Registered
Well...

Well, I live in Dallas, TX and I've only met ONE! We need a secret handshake or something. :p

TesTeq

Registered
"Pulp fiction" dance variant.

Barb;77845 said:
Well, I live in Dallas, TX and I've only met ONE! We need a secret handshake or something. :p

Here is my proposal for GTDer's secret sign.

Do you remember John Travolta dancing in the "Pulp Fiction" movie?
The first and second fingers of both his hands are straight and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. He moves his hands from left to right and from right to left in front of his face.

GTDers should do the same but they should have four fingers straight in the right hand and three fingers straight in the left hand (you know, 43 folders :) ).

Additionally GTDers must not dance longer than 2 minutes. :)

Oogiem

Registered
Barb;77845 said:

You say something and the other person pulls out a mobile device or notepad to take the note :)

hth

Registered
Oogiem;77854 said:
You say something and the other person pulls out a mobile device or notepad to take the note :)

Thats it!

Yours
Alexander

(from Germany, knowing at least one person who practiced GTD)

burnayev

Registered
I'd like to share some numbers based on the usage of ActionComplete application for Android. The statistics has been collected over the past 9-10 months.

Below are the top 10 GTD countries measured by the number of total user sessions with the application.

Country No. of Sessions
United States 305680
United Kingdom 9280
China 7878
Germany 4122
France 4044
Netherlands 3661
Spain 3044
Sweden 2571
Austria 2555
Poland 2195

Kind regards,
Borys Burnayev
actioncomplete.com
GTD for Android and Web

micfitzgerald

Registered
That's interesting to see it getting popular in China and non-existent in Japan. I would have thought Japan strong in this type of area. Maybe they have their own systems in use for a long time?
Still if you have a GTD product, the US is by far the main market.

Regards,
Michael @ OnePageCRM.com

TesTeq

Registered
Android?

micfitzgerald;78073 said:
That's interesting to see it getting popular in China and non-existent in Japan. I would have thought Japan strong in this type of area. Maybe they have their own systems in use for a long time?

Maybe they don't use Android phones in Japan?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
FYI--while interesting, Borys's report is about where his product is popular, and does not necessarily reflect where GTD is popular.