David Allen on the Power of Naming Things

mcogilvie

Registered
I think we should have a discussion of how this works in other languages, such as German, Japanese, Hebrew, and Latin, where the conventions for subject-verb-object are different. ;)

TesTeq

Registered
I think we should have a discussion of how this works in other languages, such as German, Japanese, Hebrew, and Latin, where the conventions for subject-verb-object are different. ;)
In Polish it works perfectly:

[EN] Project: "«The Power of Naming Things» episode listened."
[PL] Projekt: "Odcinek «Potęga nazywania rzeczy» wysłuchany."

[EN] Next Action: "Download «The Power of Naming Things» episode."
[PL] Najbliższe Działanie: "Ściągnij odcinek «Potęga nazywania rzeczy»."

mcogilvie

Registered
In Polish it works perfectly:

[EN] Project: "«The Power of Naming Things» episode listened."
[PL] Projekt: "Odcinek «Potęga nazywania rzeczy» wysłuchany."

[EN] Next Action: "Download «The Power of Naming Things» episode."
[PL] Najbliższe Działanie: "Ściągnij odcinek «Potęga nazywania rzeczy»."
What about Reverse Polish? ;)

TesTeq

Registered
What about Reverse Polish? ;)
I think the name of the Project: "«The Power of Naming Things» episode listened." is formatted according to the Reverse Polish (or postfix) notation rules. The operator ("listened") follows the operand ("«The Power of Naming Things» episode"). :cool:

mcogilvie

Registered
I think the name of the Project: "«The Power of Naming Things» episode listened." is formatted according to the Reverse Polish (or postfix) notation rules. The operator ("listened") follows the operand ("«The Power of Naming Things» episode"). :cool:
In Lisp, it would be (listen “The Power of Naming Things”). Once a student in one of my classes forgot to bring his calculator to an exam, so I loaned him mine. It was an old HP calculator that used reverse Polish, and he complained afterwards that he found it very awkward. I was not particularly sympathetic. :)