Digital reference files: how do you approach it?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by GTD123BRO, Mar 29, 2018.

1. AFG

AFG Registered

This may be the last straw that makes me install OmniFocus on MacOS as a VirtualBox guest on Windows!!

Thanks! Or, rather, unthanks - since I will probably waste a lot of time on that. :-( :)

2. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

Yes Omnifocus is slowly improving recurring and delayed actions/projects to almost get to the old Palm Pilot capability.

3. Rose

Rose Registered

You'll be pleased to hear OmniFocus for Web is currently in beta ;)

For reference material I use DevonThink, you can choose if you store your data in the cloud, and if so you can choose from iCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV, Box, and a few other options. What I really like is I can create a link to any group of documents or individual document and paste that link into a task or project.

Like OogieM I use OmniFocus, and you can set tasks to repeat X time after completion which is excellent, the repeat features in OmniFocus 3 are really powerful.

4. Mindfulcraig

Mindfulcraig Registered

I have Devonthink Pro and while I like it I also know I am not using it to its capacity. Devonthink's own help files are pretty bad. Any recommendations of Devonthink training?

5. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

I also use DEVONThink and I got a lot of usefulness out of Joe Kissel's book "Take Control of DEVONThink". It does talk about DT rev 2 so still useful even though it was publised in 2016.

Mindfulcraig likes this.
  6. AFG

AFG Registered

Maybe.

Unfortunately, I live in an area where web.connectivity is by no means guaranteed. So I insist on SW that allows disconnected operation. E.g. synch to DropBox, and then merge when connected.

7. Gardener

Gardener Registered

On the iPhone it does allow disconnected operation. So you would need to swap devices when your home connectivity goes down, but you'd still have your data.

8. AFG

AFG Registered

Let's see if I have this straight:

OmniFocus is available for Mac, iOS (iPhone, iPad), and on the web. But not yet PC.

Similarly, OneNote is available on PC, web(--), Mac (--), iOS (iPhone, iPad)(--).

(--) => not fully functional. I know that only OneNote 2016 on PC is fully functional. I suspect that OmniFocus is not fully functional except on Mac, but don't know, and welcome information.

So I think that you are suggesting that

On a PC I could use OneNote (2016/tablet) and OmniFocus Web.

On an iPhone, I could use OmniFocus-4-iOS and OneNote (iOS--, or web).

I imagine that I could store weblinks to {OmniFocus,OneNote}-web in any appropriate app.

Interesting. Thanks for giving me food for thought. I am worried at how many moving parts there are - I have wasted way too much time making Rube Goldberg systems work. But OmniFocus is so highly recommended...

Q: is OmniFocus/web usable on an iPad (probably?) or an iPhone (screen size problems??) ?

As for disconnected - I imagine that I would lose whatever I am typing into OmniFocus/web when net.connectivity disappears. Only lossage in that scenario.

9. Gardener

Gardener Registered

I find it functional enough--I would never have complaints about missing features if I didn't have the even more feature-rich on-Mac version to compare it to--but everybody's critical features are different. Offhand, I've forgotten what's missing, presumably because I've become habituated to acceptable workarounds.

(snipped)

Actually, I hate OneNote with a fiery fiery passion. :) It's what I've got at work, but that isn't enough of a reason for me to use it privately.

For the stuff that one would use OneNote for, I'm starting to use Scrivener, which exists on Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad. It does lack some functionality on iPhone and iPad, or at least it does in the version I'm in; I have a Mac that I want to include in the system that can't take an OS that can support the very latest Scrivener.

It works fine for me--they did a good job of moving things around and changing navigation to make it easily usable on the small screen.

I can't say yes because I haven't used it, but that's what I'd assume.

10. clango

clango Registered

Thank you for this experience.
    I widened the field of vision and I'm developing it! :);)

Could you please tell me if you already expanded your experience on this. It seems to me very difficult only 1 level of folders. What did you mean? @A,@B,@C,....and maximum one folder in each one of this letter?