Error 3259 when downloading podcasts

N

nastryker

Where we're at

Unique Situation
This problem is unique to the GTD Connect podcast because our podcast is transmitted over a secure connection and requires a username and password. Any number of pieces of security software (such as anti-virus, firewalls, anti-spyware, and apparently web browsers) could potentially block or clutch access to large binary data (such as mp3s). ASCII data (such as the XML podcast list) is passed along fine, which is why you can see episodes, but downloads timeout. While this is an intermittent problem among users depending on their settings, an individual user will continue to have the problem until their settings change.

This is also why you may have free access to other podcasts which are largely not password protected.

Apple Acknowledges the Problem
The error codes you receive point to the communications issue described above and the official recommendation from Apple is to adjust your settings on whatever software is blocking the communication.

Our Systems Match Spec
The XML file we publish, as well as the mp3 encoding, security method, and storage method match Apple's official specifications and other web standards.

What You Can Do
  • If you are experiencing this issue with our podcast and get another password protected podcast without error, I would love to hear from you: nathan@davidco.com
  • Report other error codes you have received. Codes reported so far:
  • Continue to suggest software which may be blocking communication. Here is what has been suggested so far:
    • Reenter password in iTunes
    • Change your Connect password
    • Remove Internet Explorer 7
    • Whitelist www.davidco.com and 67.43.171.229 in your firewall, antivirus, etc
    • Deactivate your firewall for the duration of the download (not recommended)

J

jackiwhitford

3259 Error Message - ITUNE Suggestions

All -

Here is the link from ITUNES about what to change in your Control Panel folder - Firewall.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1601

You will need to insert your IP address. Here is how you find it:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-out-Your-IP-Address

I have tried this, checked and double checked my entries and I am still getting the error. I have re-entered my password, and I have taken the David Allen podcast URL and re-subscribed.

I still get the error. That is why I think David Allen Company should work with ITUNES and/or IT experts outside their company to get this resolved. This has been going on since November 2008.

TesTeq

Registered
I've never had any errors.

I've never had any errors downloading GTD Connect podcasts in iTunes (except for duplicate entries in podcast list). My setup is WinXP SP2 + Norton Internet Security.

hwend

Registered
Never had any errors either

Same here. I've never had any errors downloading GTD Connect podcasts in iTunes and I am a member since GTD Connect started. My setup is Apple Mac OS X 10.5.6 with OS X firewall.

ArcticGTD

Registered
I had some issues at first but it was I believe due to the fact that my internet had a dip in speed. When I only load one at a time it seems to work well. Unlike a typical podcast you don't see the progress in your download so that threw me off a bit.

Once I was a bit more patient and waited it out I was fine.

I am now in podcast heaven listening to a treasure trove of information. Who knew Arianna Huffington was a long time GTD'er?? :)