Experiences with waking up at 5:30 AM for a productive workday?

Sander8

Registered
After reading "23 Successful People Who Wake Up Really Early", I am wondering whether there are people here who have experience with waking up as early as 5:30. What time do you wakeup and get to sleep again? What do you do on such a morning and how do you feel in the evening? Do you feel tired during the day? Do you need a powernap? Is your day truly more productive?

lito0

Registered
Sander8;103016 said:
After reading "23 Successful People Who Wake Up Really Early", I am wondering whether there are people here who have experience with waking up as early as 5:30. What time do you wakeup and get to sleep again? What do you do on such a morning and how do you feel in the evening? Do you feel tired during the day? Do you need a powernap? Is your day truly more productive?

I have found that starting your day early really helps you be more productive, but as everything in life, you need to adjust your routine. I normally start my day at 5:00am, as my work requires me to be at the office 7:30am. I am not an early person, so getting up early is really a challenge for me, however that quiet time between 5:30-6:00am has proven to be invaluable for me, your mind is clear of the day's worries, so you can really focus on the challenges ahead.

Hope this helps!

Oogiem

Registered
Sander8;103016 said:
I am wondering whether there are people here who have experience with waking up as early as 5:30. What time do you wakeup and get to sleep again? What do you do on such a morning and how do you feel in the evening? Do you feel tired during the day? Do you need a powernap? Is your day truly more productive?

Some times of the year I am not only awake but up and outside already by 5:30 am. It's during lambing and I am there at first dawn checking for newborn lambs and tagging and weighing them and assisting any ewes in labor who need help. During lambing we are out from dawn to dusk. I am often tired but also energized, from great happiness when saving the life of a lamb or ewe to depths of despair when we lose one. Some days we do get a brief nap at noon, just like the sheep, some days not. Yes my day is productive. It's a necessary part of the farming business to be there for the birthing of my animals.

CJSullivan

Registered
I usually wake up at around 4.30 or 5.00am (but am in bed by 9pm), and I have to be out of bed by 5.30am to feed the cat! Better than any alarm clock.

The interesting thing is that, while I've had little success in imposing a consistent routine on my mornings in order to get more "this would be cool to do" stuff done, I am consistently, like clockwork, 30 minutes late for my day job! So clearly I have a routine, it just needs to be shifted back half an hour! :)

vbampton

Administrator
If I'm writing, I'm up around 4:45 and working by 5. I get SOOOOOOOO much more done at that time of the morning, and then I can justify a couple of hours nap after lunch. As long as I get a nap, I'm actually better in the evenings than I am with a later start and no nap.

That said, my body isn't impressed by getting up at that time of the morning, even with afternoon naps and early nights, so I couldn't keep it up year round. I get my best sleep between about 4 and 7, so the rest of the year it's more like 6-6:30 start.

bishblaize

Registered
For me it depends on when I go to sleep. If I only get home from work at 8pm, it can a bit grim to go bed at 9.30 for a 5.30 start. But assuming I get home on time and get to bed on time, 5.30 is my preferred time.

That way I get to do some meditation, laze around reading the news, think through my calendar/next action lists and shower/groom/etc in a relaxed way rather than missing any out or rushing though.

There's also a practical benefit, which is that I ride my bike to work straight through Central London and its easier to do that before 8am, so I have to leave for work at just after 7.

OF user

Registered
I get up at 5:15 am after reading something similar to what you mentioned. Like the others who have posted it makes me quite productive. I do it on weekends as well. I have to admit though, I like Victoria's idea about taking a nap. Might have to have it set up in my calendar :-D

Popeye

Registered
Zleeepy.... zzzzz....

I´m up from the bed at 5:20......

Not productive at all.. just tired...
Going by bus for an hour to work... trying to get a nap... ´cause I´m so tired.. You see, I´m no a "morning person", but I have to go up at this time to go to my job.

I always have been a night-owl so it´s hard to get in bed in proper time so I´m always late in bed.. apprx 10:30 pm or so... so my beauty-sleep is to short.. ;)

TesTeq

Registered
Waking up as late as 5:30?

Sander8;103016 said:

I wake up at 4:44 (I like funny numbers). I would lose 46 minutes of my most creative waking up as late as 5:30! :)

I go to sleep at 22:00 (22:22 would be too late unfortunately :) ).

Sander8

Registered
Thanks for the interesting responses!

Popeye;103035 said:
I´m up from the bed at 5:20......

Not productive at all.. just tired...
Going by bus for an hour to work... trying to get a nap... ´cause I´m so tired.. You see, I´m no a "morning person", but I have to go up at this time to go to my job.

I always have been a night-owl so it´s hard to get in bed in proper time so I´m always late in bed.. apprx 10:30 pm or so... so my beauty-sleep is to short.. ;)

How long have you been doing this? Is it that you need a few weeks/month to adjust accordingly? How do you anticipate to keep your day productive (even though you are tired)?

TesTeq;103048 said:
I wake up at 4:44 (I like funny numbers). I would lose 46 minutes of my most creative waking up as late as 5:30! :)

I go to sleep at 22:00 (22:22 would be too late unfortunately :) ).

You are sleeping on less than 6:44 minutes a night! Aren't you awfully tired and how long have you been doing that?

Suelin23

Registered
I used to get up at 5:30, and go to bed 10:30-11, and was tired all the time. After advice on this forum, I'm sleeping longer now, go to bed at 10m and wake at 6am, and feel much better and get a lot more work done. I used to only be productive in the morning, now I am productive for most of the day, till about 4pm.

TesTeq

Registered
Lazy sleepyhead on Saturdays and Sundays.

Sander8;103068 said:
You are sleeping on less than 6:44 minutes a night! Aren't you awfully tired and how long have you been doing that?

How long? About 5 years since my company moved to the opposite part of Warsaw.

I am not tired too much. My secret is that I am a lazy sleepyhead on Saturdays and Sundays when I wake up at 6:44 (what a coicidence!) and go to a local swimming pool.

Barb

Registered
Discovery

I discovered something, quite by accident. If you drink no caffeine...none at all...you sleep way more deeply and wake up feeling much more rested. I was amazed. Even just 1 cup of coffee in the morning can affect your sleep a bit.

If you decide to try giving it up, do it very gradually, though.

NewbGTD

Registered
I think the bottom line is if getting up at 5.30am suits you and your schedule then do so, but if it doesn't then don't.

treelike

Registered
Sander8;103016 said:

On work days I'm up before 5am and I go do work (widget cranking). On non-work days I usually wake up at a similar time, without the alarm because my body clock is set to that. I usually go to bed not long after 9pm, although I'll go later if I'm not tired. No point trying to sleep if you're not tired.

I find non-work mornings generally good for reviewing and planning as it's quiet (once the cat's fed) and without interruptions. I try and wind down in the evening by making a point of doing nothing productive and veg out in front of the TV/ read pointless forums on the net (not this one :)). If I try to do something stimulating like work on a complicated project during the evening then I don't sleep so well during the night.

Occasionally I feel tired in the afternoon and sleep for 1/2 hour to an hour. Some people believe that humans naturally sleep "biphasically" like this, with a portion of sleep during the night and a portion during the day. I have come to the conclusion that everyone is different, and different in different circumstances when it comes to sleep. Don't get worked up about sleep because this is the one guaranteed way to stop you sleeping!

I've noticed that if I let my body clock drift during holidays i.e. get up later, go to sleep later then I tend to get depressed. This could be unproductive but I have also noticed that a more depressed state causes a re-evaluation of the higher levels, which maybe doesn't occur when I am more focussed on runway projects and activities. But, yes, keeping my body clock advanced seems to have an anti-depressive and motivating effect.

CJSullivan

Registered
treelike;103139 said:
I've noticed that if I let my body clock drift during holidays i.e. get up later, go to sleep later then I tend to get depressed. This could be unproductive but I have also noticed that a more depressed state causes a re-evaluation of the higher levels, which maybe doesn't occur when I am more focussed on runway projects and activities.

Really interesting observation. I've found the same kind of effect on activities in the idea generation phase of the creative process. If I'm a little (not a lot) overtired, my censor isn't as active, ideas come more easily, and it's easier to do big picture thinking. I wouldn't label it depression in my case - just a relaxation of my usual framework that can lead to a slight (not unpleasant) feeling of disorientation. A bit like having one drink too many!

macgrl

Registered
How do you guys get going that early in the morning? I do believe that you can be more effective by getting up early. The problem I find is that when I get up at around 5/6am that I feel really groggy / not very sharp until around 11 or 12 where as if I get up at 9am Im good to go and alert...any tips or is it just getting used to it

PatinSC

Registered
I don't think there is anything special about getting up early

This is not meant as a slight to those who really have to be up early. Or even to those who do better when they get up early. I would be willing to wager a small sum that it would be possible to find 23 people who succeeded by staying up late, and almost impossible to sell a book about them.

I am a natural night owl, struggling to manage in a world organized around larks. I suppose I could say that I get up early, but it's really that it takes me a long time to get up. I have a layered approach to waking up on a work day. The lights come on at 5:30. The first alarm is at 5:40 and the second is ten minutes later.

When I can.. which is almost never anymore... my most creative time is between midnight and 3:00AM. But to meet that morning schedule, I have to be in bed by 9pm. Every once in a while, my body rebels at this treatment, and I will find myself unable to fall asleep, no matter how tired I am until three or four in the morning.

MarkDillon

Registered
Rise One Hour Earlier Without Effort...Starting Sunday

macgrl;103150 said:
How do you guys get going that early in the morning? ...any tips or is it just getting used to it

Hi macgrl,

I used to be a late sleeper. Then something shifted for me and I began getting up early. It was due in part to having something to get up for! If you don't have a reason to rise early, why would you?

I think it is like most things and boils down to habits. Can you create the habit of rising at 7, 6 or even 5am? I now wake around 5:15 whether my alarm wakes me, weekdays, or on the weekend when my habit is to wake up around that time automatically. As we look forward to setting clocks back an hour here this weekend I plan on rising at 4:15 and sticking with it.

I am much more productive in the morning...and truth be told; I love the stillness of the morning, the hope of a new day, the chance to do it all right once again.

If you are setting your clock back this weekend I encourage you to play with it and see if you can start a new habit...join us Morning Risers...we're an okay group! :D

TesTeq

Registered
Yet another Standard Operating Procedure.

macgrl;103150 said:
any tips or is it just getting used to it

Just get used to it. No excuses. Yet another Standard Operating Procedure.