Experiences with waking up at 5:30 AM for a productive workday?

treelike

Registered
macgrl;103150 said:
How do you guys get going that early in the morning? I do believe that you can be more effective by getting up early. The problem I find is that when I get up at around 5/6am that I feel really groggy / not very sharp until around 11 or 12 where as if I get up at 9am Im good to go and alert...any tips or is it just getting used to it

Everybody has a chronotype, from early bird to night owl as PatinSC puts it. My personal opinion is that it is most effective to match your daily routine to your chronotype rather than the other way round. For you to get up at 5am might be the equivalent of me getting up at midnight. It is said that the body clock speeds up as you get older which was certainly true for me. As a teenager I would stay in bed past 10am on weekends.

The night owl might be better working back shift or night shift. Also eating meals later than "normal" meal times.

You can modify your body clock to wake up earlier if you have to. Some methods off the top of my head.
  • Wear sunglasses five hours after your natural wake up time
  • Keep lighting low for the few hours before you go to bed
  • Turn down light levels on your TV or computer monitor in the few hours before your natural sleep time- or don't use them at that time
  • Force yourself to eat breakfast first thing after getting up
  • Avoid caffeine later in the day
  • Physical exercise soon after waking up, especially outdoors in the sun (if available)
  • Expose yourself to very bright light two hours before your natural waking time
Obviously you have to be awake before your natural waking time for the last one. Look up "chronotherapy" or "chronobiology" for the rational behind these kind of methods.

TesTeq

Registered
I am the master of my day.

treelike;103163 said:
Everybody has a chronotype

Chronotype? I don't care. Now I sleep 22:00 - 4:44 but some years ago I used to sleep 0:00 - 7:30 or even 1:00 - 8:30. No differences in my productivity.

My attitude is: I am the master of my day - not a slave of "chronotype" or any other type.

treelike

Registered
TesTeq;103170 said:
Chronotype? I don't care. Now I sleep 22:00 - 4:44 but some years ago I used to sleep 0:00 - 7:30 or even 1:00 - 8:30. No differences in my productivity.

My attitude is: I am the master of my day - not a slave of "chronotype" or any other type.

I'm not a slave of my chronotype either. But I find it better to live in harmony with my natural rhythms rather than constantly fighting against them.

alfred333

Registered
Sander8;103016 said:
After reading "23 Successful People Who Wake Up Really Early", I am wondering whether there are people here who have experience with waking up as early as 5:30. What time do you wakeup and get to sleep again? What do you do on such a morning and how do you feel in the evening? Do you feel tired during the day? Do you need a powernap? Is your day truly more productive?

when i was going to university i was usually up around that time to get ready for school in the morning, and usually went to bed at midnight. i found that it work okay for awhile then i would need a day to recharge so to speak so i let myself sleep in one day and then i was good to go again. never really felt like needing a nap unless the class was boring;)

MalucoMarinero

Registered
TesTeq;103170 said:

That's sort of missing the point though. Your body has natural rhythms that make your body more ready to sleep / work at certain times, which will make you more effective if you try and adhere to it.

I do my work at night because I look after my son full time during the day. Once I pass my window of sleep, around 7pm - 8pm, I won't be able to until around midnight. This seems to just make it harder to function and be focused when I'm suppose to be working, but I reasoned that it would be the only time for me to knuckle down and get things done.

I'm realizing now that that's the wrong way to approach it though. I'm now starting to just go to sleep when my son does, and naturally wake up at 3-4 am. Less time, but more energy available to stay focused.

I guess what I'm saying is that you really aren't the master of your day necessarily. Your body establishes a rhythm over time (mine was probably established from when I worked at sea, basically at 4am - 8pm working day with a 2 hour break in the middle). Establishing a new rhythm takes time, or you can just pay attention to the one you have and can feel, and work a schedule that works with it rather than against it.

TesTeq

Registered
My attitude is to set the rules.

MalucoMarinero;103413 said:
Establishing a new rhythm takes time, or you can just pay attention to the one you have and can feel, and work a schedule that works with it rather than against it.

My attitude is to set the rules and feel a great satisfaction when my body accepts them. And it works for me.

It is not "working against something" - it is "leading by example".

I find a real pleasure in setting new standards and seeing how the environment (including my body) adapts to them.

speeding

Registered
get up at 5:30

Yes, I set my alarm at 5:30 every workday. In weekend, I wake naturely, but I usually wake at 6:00. I must go to work before 7:30, so there are some things to do in the morning, reading, doing exercise, make breakfast, have breakfast, select the most important 3 things. so I hope I can wake up at 5:00, but I will annoy my wife because she want to oversleep.
I sleep at 22:30. I am not tired in common.

cwoodgold

Registered
treelike;103163 said:
Obviously you have to be awake before your natural waking time for the last one.

I have an alarm clock designed to expose me to light before waking up. I've found it very effective, though I haven't been using it recently.

Other things that can help to get up earlier:
*Having protein for breakfast
*Taking vitamin D (I think)

Anyway ... my real reason for posting in this thread was that I thought it might be a good place for this xkcd comic, even if it's probably been posted on this forum before. I ran across it while googling for "Time Management" (To see if my own web page would come up. Nope -- though I'm currently at the top of the list for "explanation electrolysis of water"!):

http://xkcd.com/874/

DenaDahilig

Registered
cwoodgold;103517 said:
Anyway ... my real reason for posting in this thread was that I thought it might be a good place for this xkcd comic, even if it's probably been posted on this forum before.

It's worth posting just for the disclaimer:
Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

:D

Dena

kkuja

Registered
Earlier I wake up, more productive I can be. From productivity perspective around 5 am would be the best time for me to get up. I don't know what's the magic about those morning hours, but somehow I manage to get more done than if I work some number of hours in evening, for example. Maybe it's because other people are away at early morning.

Unfortunately I am evening person, with some kind of sleeping disorder (insomnia). I can postpone sleeping as much as I like, but if I try to sleep at 22 for example, it's just rolling at the bed until 2 am or something like that. Time I wake up has nothing to do with time I can fall sleep again. I have medication (melatonin) for that problem, but it's only a slight help.

treelike

Registered
kkuja;103741 said:
Earlier I wake up, more productive I can be. From productivity perspective around 5 am would be the best time for me to get up. I don't know what's the magic about those morning hours, but somehow I manage to get more done than if I work some number of hours in evening, for example. Maybe it's because other people are away at early morning.

Maybe you could use the time after 2200 when everybody else has gone to bed and it's all quiet. Depends what kind of stuff you want to do of course. Performing woodwork in the middle of the night is not likely to be appreciated by those asleep!

kkuja;103741 said:
Unfortunately I am evening person, with some kind of sleeping disorder (insomnia). I can postpone sleeping as much as I like, but if I try to sleep at 22 for example, it's just rolling at the bed until 2 am or something like that. Time I wake up has nothing to do with time I can fall sleep again. I have medication (melatonin) for that problem, but it's only a slight help.

You may or may not have insomnia but it sounds like you do have a delayed body clock. If you are able to sleep 0200 to 1000 with no problems then I suggest that you don't have "insomnia". Melatonin is not a sleeping tablet, it is a body clock modifier. Taking it at the wrong time could make things worse.

kkuja

Registered
treelike;103757 said:
Maybe you could use the time after 2200 when everybody else has gone to bed and it's all quiet. Depends what kind of stuff you want to do of course. Performing woodwork in the middle of the night is not likely to be appreciated by those asleep!

Somehow I have found morning hours most productive. I have no idea why evenings don't work as well. If I need to get something done, I better force myself to wake up at 5 am (and try to get at least 6 hours of sleep).

treelike;103757 said:
You may or may not have insomnia but it sounds like you do have a delayed body clock. If you are able to sleep 0200 to 1000 with no problems then I suggest that you don't have "insomnia". Melatonin is not a sleeping tablet, it is a body clock modifier. Taking it at the wrong time could make things worse.

This is a bit off topic so lets not delve too deep to this subject. Natural rhytm for me would be around 30 hours. Sleeping is never non problematic to me. Falling to sleep is always problematic. Also, light affects me quite a much, so summers, with their 20 hours of sun light are nightmare to me. Anyway, thank you for your insight.

E

ericmage

Experience

When I'm about to wake up, I find my Ipod, connect it to my speakers and then adjust the volume. After everything is done, I play Scorpion music on my Ipod. That's how I start a new day :)

jasont

Registered
I'm an early riser and an early to bed person.

Up at 0420, workout, breakfast and start work at around 0600-0630. I really value the early morning time for clearing my head, working on key projects etc. I'm very productive early in the AM and it's some of my best time. Because of the crazy awake time I do go to bed between 9-9:30 every evening. Staying up much beyond 10:30 will pretty much render me useless the next day!

The above noted, I recently listened to an HBR podcast and one of the discussions was on people who are naturally wired to get up early and those who were later risers. I definitely think that trying to force something that is not natural is not always a good thing. Give it a shot for a few months and see what happens!

Sander8;103016 said:
After reading "23 Successful People Who Wake Up Really Early", I am wondering whether there are people here who have experience with waking up as early as 5:30. What time do you wakeup and get to sleep again? What do you do on such a morning and how do you feel in the evening? Do you feel tired during the day? Do you need a powernap? Is your day truly more productive?

NewbGTD

Registered
jasont;103788 said:

Up at 0420, workout, breakfast and start work at around 0600-0630. I really value the early morning time for clearing my head, working on key projects etc. I'm very productive early in the AM and it's some of my best time. Because of the crazy awake time I do go to bed between 9-9:30 every evening. Staying up much beyond 10:30 will pretty much render me useless the next day!

The above noted, I recently listened to an HBR podcast and one of the discussions was on people who are naturally wired to get up early and those who were later risers. I definitely think that trying to force something that is not natural is not always a good thing. Give it a shot for a few months and see what happens!

Do you seriously sleep and rise at those times consistently? I just find life to never be that forgiving much like the philosophy behind GTD with its 'in the moment' decision making based on the topsy turvy nature of life and ourselves.

macgrl

Registered
jasont;103788 said:

Did you find that it took time to get used to getting up at 420 and do you feel "awake" - full or energy etc or sleepy..does it take a while to get going?

Many thanks

macgrl

treelike

Registered
NewbGTD;103792 said:
Do you seriously sleep and rise at those times consistently? I just find life to never be that forgiving much like the philosophy behind GTD with its 'in the moment' decision making based on the topsy turvy nature of life and ourselves.

GTD's great for making use of snippets of time which come about due to this topsy turvy-ness. When I was on night-shift I would usually wake up in the middle of the nights when I was not working unable to sleep. All I needed to do was look at my "computer" or "net" next actions, get on the computer and make good use of this time, rather than waste it awake in bed.

rkndavis

Registered
I have to get up at 5:30 so I can get my son up for school. I recently decided to set a habit to sleep at least 6 hours a night but I'm not making it most nights with going to bed coming in around midnight most days.

I'm usually pretty good through the day - no breakfast, lunch at noon, granola bar mid afternoon, dinner around 7.

What I do find though is on days when I sleep in past 8:00 am I'm truly miserable and not fun to be around. What I've come to realize it that it's because I feel I've wasted the best hours of the day - I could have been achieving something.

paulmcdonald

Registered
Up at 5:00. Down at 11:30.

I'm up at 5:00 or 5:15 at the latest every weekday. I find that I have to get up early at this time because part of my morning duties include helping my family get ready, and that's a lot of work for us.

I was getting up at 5:30, but I found myself rushed. So I bumpted it back to 5:00 and it's been good.

I usually get to sleep around 11:30 at night. That means that I have about 5 1/2 hours of sleep every night. Gosh, when I type it in, that looks terrible!

On weekends I normally get a full 8 hours in plus a nap (usually during the third quarter of any given football game) so I do well that way. Also, I find that the better food I eat, the less sleep I need.

If I don't set my alarm, I usually wake up anyway.