• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Filing Cabinet Too Full

My filing cabinets are so full that it is a little bit of a struggle filing a single sheet of paper.

Many times I have moved the last 3 inches or so of a draw into the front of the next draw and then reduced the padding in the back of that draw to make extra space. Its a bit of a drag having to do this.

Is there a better way to solve this problem?
 
Do you really need everything in the files?

Maybe you have already done this, but worth thinking about if not.

I have just thinned out the material in my office files. Questions I asked myself:
- Can I get another copy of this (electronic or paper) easily if I need it?
- Has this been replaced by a newer version?
- Is the project still running?
- Am I responsible for this area, or just keeping it 'for information'

In my work, I am not responsible for filing 'compliance' documentation (signed contracts etc), so it is relatively easy to cull.

At home, at financial year end, I put all financial documents for the previous year in an archive box, marked with the year, and destroy the archives over 5 years old (tax record keeping guidelines). I also review the 'warranties & manuals' folders and throw out anything expired or no longer in use.
 
I like to purge my files every 12 months, but this issue comes up more often than that.

Really I am looking for a solution like some inexpensive spring loaded spacers or something.
 
Top