CameronMaciel

Registered
I'm in the process of developing my own version of an apple ecosystem database using FileMaker Pro as my development tool. Considering the introduction of Shortcuts application coming to macOS, the Shortcuts application is now across all Apple devices and I feel that was the last key feature to starting a GTD software because I feel that GTD software also needs to extend the hardware and I believe apple is the best at integrating their Software and hardware seamlessly.

I have attached a preview of the direction I'm taking with workflow and UI - 1 Day in!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 8.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 8.19.07 PM.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 40

CameronMaciel

Registered
Looks interesting. Windows user here but I would still be interested in following your progress.

Jim
Thank you for your feedback, I know windows is a little more open with their operating system and creating useful tools with visual studios, now that Filemaker is taking advantage of API and FileMaker Connect I'm sure ill be able to build for both OS' but they definitely will be different When it comes to automation.

jwsamuel

Registered
I just looked at the Filemaker website because I have not used it for a few years. Is Filemaker no longer a physical product? It appears to be only a cloud service.

FocusGuy

Registered
I just looked at the Filemaker website because I have not used it for a few years. Is Filemaker no longer a physical product? It appears to be only a cloud service.
Yes I used Filemaker pro for years professionaly. I made myself with the help of a developper a data base for realestate. I noticed I must buyed a new expensive licence every 3 years. I also had to buy a server licence for having it on my iphone. Finally they decided to make it on web 5 licence minimum

Really I was furious. So I decided to take, for a while, a professionnal solution which cost me 58 € per month and that's all. In the same time I discovered Tap forms for Mac and may be I will make my own data base with it and have it on myiphone. It is afordable and powerfull.
Indeed I am fed up of all these companies such as Salesforce and so... witch cost a lot and are un realistic when you are alone or with a very small team (2 or3 people)

jwsamuel

Registered
I used to use Filemaker because it was so easy to use and because it worked equally well on Macs and Windows (I used both). I stopped because they were making the upgrades too expensive while Microsoft was making Access much easier to use. MS Office is also a subscription but is reasonably priced at $99/year for five computers. The problem with Access is that there is no Mac version, however I am 100 % on Windows now.

Jim

CameronMaciel

Registered
Yes I used Filemaker pro for years professionaly. I made myself with the help of a developper a data base for realestate. I noticed I must buyed a new expensive licence every 3 years. I also had to buy a server licence for having it on my iphone. Finally they decided to make it on web 5 licence minimum

Really I was furious. So I decided to take, for a while, a professionnal solution which cost me 58 € per month and that's all. In the same time I discovered Tap forms for Mac and may be I will make my own data base with it and have it on myiphone. It is afordable and powerfull.
Indeed I am fed up of all these companies such as Salesforce and so... witch cost a lot and are un realistic when you are alone or with a very small team (2 or3 people)
That's awesome you mention real estate and MS access because my parents made a real estate database in ms access as well, and over the years they wanted more functionality with phones and servers online so I learned Filemaker Pro for that. I have a construction and Real Estate application that is made for both online and off made with FileMaker, I'm also in the process of making a modern look and feel with their original real estate database with MS Access - thethink.studio is my website for that software now.

Many people don't know that MS Access can still be purchased as a single license with no renewal needed only $159 it can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/access/CFQ7TTC0HHMX?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I also understand what you are saying about FileMaker and their Licensing cost, it's really best to buy a perpetual server license for 5 users and buy a computer and new upgrade the software, and just keep it running current software can get about 5-7 year out of that.

FocusGuy

Registered
That's awesome you mention real estate and MS access because my parents made a real estate database in ms access as well, and over the years they wanted more functionality with phones and servers online so I learned Filemaker Pro for that. I have a construction and Real Estate application that is made for both online and off made with FileMaker, I'm also in the process of making a modern look and feel with their original real estate database with MS Access - thethink.studio is my website for that software now.

Many people don't know that MS Access can still be purchased as a single license with no renewal needed only $159 it can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/access/CFQ7TTC0HHMX?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab

I also understand what you are saying about FileMaker and their Licensing cost, it's really best to buy a perpetual server license for 5 users and buy a computer and new upgrade the software, and just keep it running current software can get about 5-7 year out of that.
I thought acces was only on PC. There is a huge lack of data base on Mac... This may be why File maker is so expansive...