GTD newbie - using google apps but work is on office

B B

Registered
Hello all!! I am very excited for GTD. I am a new mom to 5 month old twins and since going back to work, am collapsing under all the new tasks, responsibilities, and overwhelming ideas. I can't get anything done OR focus on my baby boys lately. I have never been very organized but now its a crisis because two other tiny humans, my family and my household depend on me and my organization and productivity!!

I'd heard of GTD, read most of the book years ago, but had not implemented it. I have watched several youtube videos of how people manage their GTD (Paper versus Digital) and in the end decided Digital makes more sense for my life and style. I feel like the google suite would be best for me because I use the apps significantly and it is my main email.

With that said, please any tips you can offer would be incredibly appreciated!!

(1) HOW HAVE YOU SET UP YOUR GOOGLE APPS TO WORK WITH GTD?

(2) MY COMPANY USED MICROSOFT OFFICE! HOW DO I WORK THAT IN TO STAY ON TOP OF ALL OF MY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES?

Finally there is something that I feel like wasnt addressed in any video or the book. I can have my next actions, projects, etc. But in the day to day things come up that need to be addressed that same day at the office. Where do you hold that? How do you manage that "to-do" list and make sure it gets done *in that day*

Please please share your tips. Thank you!!!

mcogilvie

Registered
Davidco has implementation guides for both Outlook and Google Apps. At $10 each, they will give you a baseline implementation to build on. When I started GTD, I found the Outlook setup guide very helpful, even though I never used Outlook for GTD.

B B

Registered
Davidco has implementation guides for both Outlook and Google Apps. At $10 each, they will give you a baseline implementation to build on. When I started GTD, I found the Outlook setup guide very helpful, even though I never used Outlook for GTD.

Thank you for the tip!!

Does that show how to combine both into one system? Bc I understand that the point of GTD is to not have separate work and personal systems that cause you to forget one or the other, but o have everything in one single system. But considering my email and calendar for work are on office and everything personal on GMAIL, I dont know how to make it so im not duplicating the work just to have it on a single system

mcogilvie

Registered
Thank you for the tip!!

Does that show how to combine both into one system? Bc I understand that the point of GTD is to not have separate work and personal systems that cause you to forget one or the other, but o have everything in one single system. But considering my email and calendar for work are on office and everything personal on GMAIL, I dont know how to make it so im not duplicating the work just to have it on a single system

I think you are misinterpreting “single system.” Some people are bound by requirements that force them to keep work and personal items separate, and GTD works for them too.

In my workplace, the organization uses Microsoft Exchange and my department uses standard imap. These plus gmail all show up in one unified inbox on my phone, tablet, and two computers. Calendars work the same way. You need to explore what’s possible with someone knowledgeable about your situation.

John Ismyname

Registered
Hello BB;
You need to explore what’s possible with someone knowledgeable about your situation.

Agreed. In a better world, one would be able to combine the email, contacts, calendars, tasks, and lists into one unified view and GTD system. If your personal data is on your work computer, it opens the door for privacy issues.

Conversely, an employer might have concerns with an employee copying company data to the employee's Google account.

A great ap for synchronizing between Google and Outlook us gSyncit ttps://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit5/