GTD with EN: What happens to your Waiting For items (Notes)?

What happens to your Waiting For items (Notes)?

• Transfer to the Waiting For List with Tags

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Transfer to the Next Action List

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Transfer to the Project's Notebook/ Folder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jan Ernest

Registered
I am just curious when an actionable item is deemed to be a Waiting For item, what do you with them? How do you manage them? Where do you organize them?

bcmyers2112

Registered
None of the above. I have a separate notebook for each list including Waiting For items. Each Waiting For is a separate note within that notebook. I rarely if ever tag them.

My GTD setup in Evernote is based on a guide available from the David Allen Company, available here: https://store.gettingthingsdone.com/setup-guides-s/107.htm. It's only $10 and shows you how to optimize Evernote for GTD in a way that is very functional and easy to use. If you're struggling in any way with using Evernote for GTD I'd suggest getting a copy.

treelike

Registered
I am just curious when an actionable item is deemed to be a Waiting For item, what do you with them? How do you manage them? Where do you organize them?
I manage Waiting Fors in the same way as Next Actions, but use "WF" as the context (in the same way as I would use "computer", "home", "work" etc as contexts for actual Next Actions). I don't use Evernote but would probably vote for the second. This works great for me but I don't know if it would work so well if I had lots of Waiting Fors. Being on the Next Action list they are reviewed daily, which adds time to the review (although I find reviewing WF's takes minimal time anyway).

bcmyers2112

Registered
I manage Waiting Fors in the same way as Next Actions, but use "WF" as the context (in the same way as I would use "computer", "home", "work" etc as contexts for actual Next Actions).

That's actually what I described when I suggested organizing lists by notebook. In other words, each context (calls, errands, at home, at computer, etc.) gets its own notebook, as do Waiting For items, Projects, and Someday/Maybe items. For the purposes of this conversation it helps if you understand Evernote.

Jan Ernest

Registered
In my current system, once a "stuff" has been determined to be a series of actionable items or, is a waiting for item. I move them to a Waiting For Item Notebook. The Waiting For Notebook contains ALL Waiting For Items, but is tagged according to the Project's name, and other context.

I am just not sure if some of us here who use Evernote, also does the same. Do you move the Waiting For Item to a Waiting For Notebook? or sustain them inside the Project Notebook? or next action notebook?

bcmyers2112

Registered
Like I said, I keep them in a dedicated notebook called Waiting For. I don't bother to tag them with the project name or anything else.

bcmyers2112

Registered
@treelike: I realized re-reading this thread your suggestion was different from mine. I mis-read what you wrote. I also apologize for taking the tone I did. I certainly don't want to discourage people from participating in this discussion.

treelike

Registered
@treelike: I realized re-reading this thread your suggestion was different from mine. I mis-read what you wrote. I also apologize for taking the tone I did. I certainly don't want to discourage people from participating in this discussion.
That's OK :). Actually I thought it was a fair point, I did have a quick look at Evernote a while ago but I don't think I spent enough time evaluating it properly so might have another look at it.