how do you deal with an obsession?

M

mystery_man

Hello.

I'm back. And I'm doing GTD.

Here's what I've done:

I rid my hard drive of all materials related to pick up. Tons of audiobooks and ebooks deleted forever.

I started going to church and studying the Bible again.

I've also found the woman for me. We're not exclusive yet, but we're getting there.

The business is much better. So far we're getting consistent sales and not running out of money, yet. Although still, there are plenty of improvements left to be desired.

Sometimes there are still quarrels in the family, but I think I can bear it now, because I've taken care of my social life and am closer to and have more friends now.

So I just wanted drop by and thank you guys. It took a long time but I'm now much happier. If any of you have any further advice I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks.

Barry

Registered
Thanks for the update and I am very glad to read that you are in a much better place now than just a few months ago.

I didn't catch this thread the first time it was active, but my one thought about your business that I wanted to express is that if you are not sure this is what you want to be doing, but are currently at a loss for what else to do or how to get out of it, then I would caution you against just letting things slip through neglect. It sounds like that is already less of a problem for you. In any case, I would encourage you to think of this situation as an opportunity to cultivate and practice excellence.

You never know what opportunities will open up for you through your business (or in spite of it) in the near future, and practicing excellence in your business responsibilities will put you in a position to take full advantage of those opportunities. Maybe you are selling widgets and you hate widgets. But if you are the best widget seller in the region anyway, then soon you may be pursued by a company that sells speed boats (or whatever excites you). We often find ourselves in one job wishing we were in another, but our real job is always to be excellent. That is the only thing we really have to sell.

Another advantage of practicing excellence is that you might actually propel the business into something greater than it is now or into a different direction and find it to be more rewarding that you now think possible. At a minimum, if/when you decide to pursue another career direction, that will be easier to do if you can at least say that you had x, y, z successes in your current business rather than having to say that it just fizzled out and died during your involvement because you were never really committed to it.

In any case, I wish you luck and congratulations on your success with your obsession.

F

faris

I here the reason in psychology is that
that there is a gap in your life and and you try and compensate for whats missing by filling in this gap with something else something similiar and maybe its this "pick up" thing related. think of it as a puzzle piece your trying to fill the gap with the wrong piece it may seem similiar to the piece that goes theres.