How to study long life education with GTD help?

DanielCe

Registered
Hello comunity! :)

My question today goes to long life education. For example you are studying some martial arts like brazian jiu jitsu, which is endless study of techniques, principles and then training them.

How would you aproach this? It is stressing me to make projects out of that, or putting anything else than training itself into the calendar.
So far it helps to have it in goals as something like "Become a blue belt in jiu jitsu" but I know I have to do something like "Learn a mind map of chosen techniques". Is it because I wrongly specify the projects? If I do a project like "Learn a mind map of chosen techniques" it doesnt seems right to me and I loose motivation to continue or even start, even If I really specify my why, do brainstorming and choose the right action steps (atleast it seems to me).

Oogiem

Registered
How would you aproach this?
It's an area of focus.

I think you are on the right track of adding concrete projects for that. As to the why you lose motivation I can't help with that but to me the project of learn mind mapof chosen techniques makes sense but I'd probably break it down further to learn mind map of specific item or pattern or form or whatever the smallest unit of thing you need to learn is and go from there. Maybe learn mind map of a specific technique but to me even that is too large a project.

Example:
I want our sheep flock to be the best performance flock in the US. That's both a goal and an AOF for me. Concrete projects include "Evaluate rams against breed standard" and "Collect weights of all ram yearlings for EBVs" and "Update data entry for NSIP in time for September EBV run"

Eventually it will be "Select breeding rams for 2021" and I will use the evaluations and the EBV results to make that determination.

I have similar projects for selecting breeding ewes, deciding which sheep to butcher and which to sell and so on. All with the focus of improving our flock.

mcogilvie

Registered
Yep, it’s an area of focus, or at least part of one. I’ll give an example of what I mean by part of one. I have been playing acoustic guitar for a long time, since my early teens. I have three guitars and I play at least one of them almost every day. Right now I’m working on a fingerstyle arrangement of Fields of Gold. I play for my own pleasure, and I don’t practice to near-perfection like a professional musician would. Very little of this appears in my GTD system. I think right now I have a next action to download some arrangements I want to try. It‘s a next action related to my Personal area of focus. Changing guitar strings on all three guitars is an occasional project. I’m scheduled to give a talk to the local woodworkers guild this fall about tonewoods and guitar construction, and that’s a project, but that invitation came out of a physics and music public talk I gave last year, so it’s under my Teaching area of focus. The rest of it is mostly habit: I play, I read guitar player stuff, both paper and digital. I have a mild case of what players call GAS- Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, but it’s manageable. If you’re comfortable with your practice, progress and habits, you don’t need to artificially create stuff in your GTD system. GTD is supposed to serve you, not the other way around.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Yep, it’s an area of focus, or at least part of one. I’ll give an example of what I mean by part of one. I have been playing acoustic guitar for a long time, since my early teens. I have three guitars and I play at least one of them almost every day. Right now I’m working on a fingerstyle arrangement of Fields of Gold. I play for my own pleasure, and I don’t practice to near-perfection like a professional musician would. Very little of this appears in my GTD system. I think right now I have a next action to download some arrangements I want to try. It‘s a next action related to my Personal area of focus. Changing guitar strings on all three guitars is an occasional project. I’m scheduled to give a talk to the local woodworkers guild this fall about tonewoods and guitar construction, and that’s a project, but that invitation came out of a physics and music public talk I gave last year, so it’s under my Teaching area of focus. The rest of it is mostly habit: I play, I read guitar player stuff, both paper and digital. I have a mild case of what players call GAS- Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, but it’s manageable. If you’re comfortable with your practice, progress and habits, you don’t need to artificially create stuff in your GTD system. GTD is supposed to serve you, not the other way around.
One of my areas of focus is creative expression. Messing around with the guitar fits nicely. It's not a project; I just pick it up when I want to.

What are the details about your three guitars? I have gone back and forth for years selling and then buying guitars. I currently have a Martin OO-17S. It's a 12-fret parlor model (as contrasted with dreadnoughts where the fingerboard meets the body at fret 14) that I played today for a few minutes. Forget the cheap ukulele in my profile pic. I gave that away when we moved from California in 2018.

mcogilvie

Registered
One of my areas of focus is creative expression. Messing around with the guitar fits nicely. It's not a project; I just pick it up when I want to.

What are the details about your three guitars? I have gone back and forth for years selling and then buying guitars. I currently have a Martin OO-17S. It's a 12-fret parlor model (as contrasted with dreadnoughts where the fingerboard meets the body at fret 14) that I played today for a few minutes. Forget the cheap ukulele in my profile pic. I gave that away when we moved from California in 2018.
There’s a tune for every mood, isn’t there? Even if you have to make it up yourself.

I have a Taylor 410. It’s over 25 years old now, a dreadnought with mahogany and spruce. Then there’s a Huss and Dalton OM; it’s rosewood and spruce. For trips and other out and about, I have a Seagull S-3 which is cherry and cedar. As you might gather, I Tend towards the Taylor Signature clarity and brightness more than the characteristic Martin sound. The Huss and Dalton is awesomely balanced though.

DanielCe

Registered
@mcogilvie @Oogiem @John Forrister Thanks for the examples and replies! Telling me its an area of focus was a great help! It helps me to do not put a lot of stuff into my system with knowing, its an area of focus. Now I feel I can move on. Also thanks for telling me I should break it down more, that would be alsco correct with this new perspective.

Thanks people, rams and quitars!