Is my desk TOO clean (for my coworkers)?

tnoyce

Registered
A range of responses...

Its a problem that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I suggest you confront them with your quality, that you review your project list and NAs with your boss once a week: GTD provides the tools for doing just that. You will rigourously establish with her exactly what you are doing and how effectively you are working. Then you will be in no danger on that front and any gossip that reaches your boss will get squashed.

This is a cultural problem and the tone of your post suggests that it is emotionally oppressive. You can also tactically print out your project and NA lists and put them visibly on your desk.

My wife suggested also having a small sign in the middle of your desk for when you are not there: "clean desk due to GTD, ask me how or see www.davidco.com"

moosie

Registered
I use dummy folders too.

I work in what equates to a 12' x 6' hallway with up to 4 other people, so any inch of clean desk is very valuable real estate. It's a restaurant, and I'm only there M-F which causes the brunt of my problems.

Due to GTD and the massive amounts of confidential information I handle, when I left the office on a Friday night my desk was beyond spotless. When I came in on Monday, my desk was absolutely destroyed. (I work with a bunch of freakin' slobs. They drive me NUTS). I went to so far as to post a sign that says "my desk. do not use under penalty of death" (with the boss' permission). That worked for a week.

Then I noticed if I left out a bunch of unprocessed invoices or mail from Friday all over my desk, no one used it. I started to create dummy folders - all stuffed with important looking, but totally meaningless, paper. When I leave on Friday, my desk is a disaster. When I come in on Monday, it's an untouched disaster.

The things we do to keep from killing our co-workers, huh? :-D

Cpu_Modern

Registered
TesTeq;48504 said:
It wasn't a fiction in the communist countries where you could go to jail when you had set the price too high or when you had produced and sold the goods that had not been planned by the government.

And ironically in american auto racing series like NASCAR.