Levenger Circa Suggestions?

marcia

Registered
I'm looking at changing from a 3-ring binder to a Circa junior notebook. I like the idea of a smaller size system. This would be following David Allen's article on setting up a paper planner, except my calendar is seperate (Staples' pocket calendar). I think all I'd need is the junior notebook and the plastic dividers to get started. I'm also considering the compact Circa paper for action lists, or maybe for checklists, they'd be easy to pull out and take with me if needed. For those using Circa, do you have any suggestions and ideas to share? Do you buy the blank pages and print out your own forms? Do you use any of the preprinted forms, like the to do list?

R

ReBuild

Appears no one uses this system! Never-mind, did a little sleuthing on the net and suggest that you look at the following links:

http://alanlnelson.typepad.com/seat_1a/2006/01/how_i_use_my_le.html

This is a "how I use the Circa" story. The author appears to use the GTD methodology plus it's a good read on using a paper based system.

http://kvet.ch/articles/2006/05/04/review-of-levenger-circa-junior-notebook

Another review.

www.rollabind.com

This is the company that invented the binder system you are looking at and then licensed itto Levenger (and others).

T

thoppa

Ok, I have the full size Circa notebook. I had great ideas, basically along the lines of the links provided above.

So, I got the tabs, and I labeled them with my handy labeler.

Then I realized it just wouldn't work for me.

My system is largely electronic, and the analog to digital sync never really worked for me. So, everyday I carry around this notebook that I never look at, and every week during my weekly review, I print new calendars which I punch and put in the notebook. But, when I want to look at lists or the calendar, I grab the blackberry or I look in entourage.

So, if a paper-based system works for you, I think you'll like the Circa. I love the Levenger company and the Circa is a nice product.

S

sonia_simone

Thoppa, how do you incorporate new NAs, changes, updates, whatever into your system? That's the benefit of paper for me--I just write it in the margins of my NA list with a good old pen.

Shame you got those nifty tools set up and found you didn't enjoy them!

BrianK

Registered
I use Circa

I use Circa, but only for certain lists. I have the full-sized notebook with 5 tabs: Actions, Projects, Waiting For, Agendas, Errands.

I keep my Project and Someday/Maybe lists in Outlook, and every week I print those out and put them in the notebook. The rest of them I keep by hand because they're so dynamic. Switching pages in and out was and is so simple, which is why I finally settled on this.

I found the Circa system to be truly amazing. I bought the hole-punch and a half-dozen notebooks, and I use them for various other things as well. Sometimes a project will need a dynamic notebook, so I grab one and use it. I used a cover and the punch to create a one-time "presentation" notebook for someone. I recently took a group trip that involved lots of planning, maps, timing, etc., and used a Circa notebook to hold all of those things. Pretty much anything I'd use a 3-ring binder for, I now use these.

tulipcowgirl

Registered
I use circa junior (along with my Palm). It is set up based on DA's PDF on a paper-based planner.

I use the plastic dividers:
  • notes in
  • calendar - I am currently using the circa agenda
  • action lists
  • projects
  • agendas
  • project plans
  • reference
  • tel/add

I use the leather notebook cover and it works well especially for work. I can bring it to a job site and not worry about it falling apart. I have a lot of stuff jammed in there so I upgraded to the 1" rings. My only concern is that I am not sure if they are still making the agenda/calendar for 2007. I have to have a paper-based calendar. So if they stop making the agenda I am up the creek and may have to switch to filofax.

kewms

Registered
tulipcowgirl said:
My only concern is that I am not sure if they are still making the agenda/calendar for 2007. I have to have a paper-based calendar. So if they stop making the agenda I am up the creek and may have to switch to filofax.

The 2007 agenda was advertised in the catalog that appeared in my mailbox yesterday. Huzzah!

I recently added a bunch of new clients, so I'm thinking I may need a better planning calendar to keep track of all the overlapping deadlines. I take it you are happy with the Circa?

Katherine

tulipcowgirl

Registered
also...

I have found that I can print stuff at 1/2 the size of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, punch it and put it in my junior notebook. I forget what standard size that would be. Those 1/2 size sheets are a little taller than the levenger junior size sheets but can be easily trimmed.

I like the DIY Planner forms a lot for that.

Katherine, if you are asking me if I am happy? Yes, I am. It is very flexible and that's what I like the best. And that you can take out and put back in the pages anytime you want. It does take a little more time to set up since you don't have all the preprinted forms like you do with a filofax.

Thanks for the tip about the 2007 agenda!

T

thoppa

Stuff gets into my electronic system in a few ways. First, if I happen to be working at the computer when it comes in, or when I complete a previous task, I just check it off and enter the new one. Otherwise, some piece of paper, note, reminder, business card, whatever related to the project gets dumped into my inbox and when I process it all gets entered.

sonia_simone said:
Thoppa, how do you incorporate new NAs, changes, updates, whatever into your system? That's the benefit of paper for me--I just write it in the margins of my NA list with a good old pen.

Shame you got those nifty tools set up and found you didn't enjoy them!

C

Chet

Get the Circa punch. It'll be your best Circa investment ever. Cuz you can punch your own papers - use recycled and do your bit for the environment.

I bought one years ago when it was very expensive, but I've come to appreciate this one expensive investment. With it, I've made my own notebooks. Oh, and I've bought Circa rings (you'll need these to complete the notebooks).

What I really like about the Circa system is I can easily move pages around in my notebook to their appropriate sections.

Aspen

Registered
Rolla at Staples?

Someone mentioned to me that there was a cheaper version of these notebooks now at Staples. I bought one tonight...it is a leather cover (not the nicest I've ever seen but ok) and the ruled paper inside is about 8.25 x 5.5. I've just been at levenger's website and this sounds like the junior size to me. It has 8 circa rings, and I am wondering if anyone has used one of these Rolla brand notebooks with pre-printed levenger pages. I am considering ordering some sample pages to see if I want to tweak my system in this direction, but I am concerned that the pages work.

GrantH

Registered
Circa Junior Printing

I would like to use a circa junior (rather than letter size).

At the times a person wants to print a list or calendar, how do you do it efficiently for a circa junior without getting really complicated?

Thanks for any advice.

Grant

kewms

Registered
GrantHBS;47571 said:
I would like to use a circa junior (rather than letter size).

At the times a person wants to print a list or calendar, how do you do it efficiently for a circa junior without getting really complicated?

Using your tool of choice, format your calendar to print 2-up: two pages on one 8.5x11 sheet. This is a common requirement, so the appropriate commands shouldn't be too hard to find.

Cut or tear the sheets along the gutter between the two pages.

Punch the resulting pages using the Circa punch available from Levenger's.

Done.

You can also print on Levenger's blank paper directly. Whether the "ears" of the Circa pages get caught will depend on your printer.

Katherine

Barb

Registered
Circa is my portable system

I use the Circa Jr. as my portable system. It fits nicely in my briefcase and I love the quality of the paper. In my purse, I keep Circa 3x5 cards so I have something going this way and that. I use outlook as my main system, however, and print out what I need using the Franklin Jr. size. I have a portable circa punch (way less expensive and very well made).

I saw a post awhile back that David Allen was talking with the CEO of Levenger about offering something together. I'm not sure where they are on that, but since the CEO was one of the recorded Connect interviews, something tells me they are still in touch.

I have emailed the CEO of Levenger before and got an actual response! Why don't you just call him up? My guess is that he'll talk to you!

S

Suziloo

Staples or Circa?

I bought both the 8.5 x 11 and "junior" size binders from Staples because I prefer to shop the old-fashioned way. I've found that the pages don't slide around the rings smoothly, they seem to get stuck and I have to force them to move. Are the Levengers any better? I would pay more and wait for delivery, but am afraid that I'll end up w/ more of the same.

Sue

Barb

Registered
Levenger Circa and guarantee

I don't find any problem with pages not sliding around well UNLESS you try to cram too many pages on the rings. At any rate, Levenger stands behind their products and, if you call and discuss it with them, my guess is they would agree to refund your money even if you just plain didn't like it. Below is the actual wording on their guarantee (a little vague, so I'd recommend making a call):

The Levenger Guarantee
We promise to deliver quality and value in every Levenger product. If you are not 100% satisfied, please let us know and we'll make it right.

Hope that helps.

johnmcoulter

Registered
It's Also The Paper

Levenger paper is thicker and far higher quality than "normal" paper. I have ok luck when I Circa punch regular paper, but it works far better when the majority of the paper in the binder is 60lb Levenger.

John

ggrozier

Registered
Rollabind rings & difficulty turning pages

If you go to DIYPlanner.com, and do a search on Circa rings, you'll find quite a bit of discussion about the Rollabind rings you get at Staples catching on the pages. The problem seems to be that the Rollabind rings aren't perfectly smooth--there are little burrs from the molding process. If you turn the rings around, feeling the outer edge of the ring as you go, you'll find the burrs. The fix is to take a metal nail file and gently file off the burrs. Then your pages will turn smoothly.

See this page:
http://www.diyplanner.com/node/2289

I got my Circa order last week and haven't noticed this problem with the Circa rings.

And Levenger has phased out their former Junior page sizes and is using the 5 x 8 1/2 sizes to be more compatible with other US paper sizes and planners. I've been cutting letter-size paper in half (as Katherine suggests) and it fits perfectly into my Levenger notebook covers, so things should work smoothly now.

I hope this helps!

Trish

Registered
head's up, you are being listened to.ll

Guys,
The guy who does all the creative stuff for Levenger reads this Forum---so you are actually speaking right to his ears right now.

Also, David Allen and Levenger have gone separate ways, but a lot of his impact is evident in their new products..for a reason.

Also, Levenger is a much, much better quality than Rollabind. No comparison.

Also, Levenger has just improved it's rings and that is why they roll so smoothly. They really are even better than they were last year.

And, yes, it is in their gorgeous paper.

Trish:cool: