Meetings Video

Barb

Registered
How cool to see Kelly and Wayne via video today. Of course--great advice, great tips--but great to see you!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi Oogiem

1/ Our team suggested the latest Flash Player may fix the problem you're experiencing. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

but...

2/ They are also reworking the file to make it suitable for downloading. The compression is funky too, apparently. So by this afternoon, that should be fixed and they may view fine for you.

Kelly

12hourhalfday

Registered
purpose based

Thank you for doing this Kelly! I have read the recommendations on meetings before but it took the video to get the concept of the natural planning model during the meeting to click. I can really understand how just redefining or re clarifying the purpose of the meeting can realign the meeting on the path towards productivity.

Oogiem

Registered
kelstarrising;69796 said:
Can you try it again please and see if it works for you now?

Got it now FWIW I already had the latest flash player so didn't try to do that first. I didn't try to download it this time.

Barb

Registered
Meetings

12hourhalfday;69802 said:
Thank you for doing this Kelly! I have read the recommendations on meetings before but it took the video to get the concept of the natural planning model during the meeting to click. I can really understand how just redefining or re clarifying the purpose of the meeting can realign the meeting on the path towards productivity.

You know, you can use the statement "who is going to do what by when" before a meeting closes with non-GTDers. That's the same as saying:
  • What's the next action?
  • Who's got it?
  • When is completion expected?

Even WORSE than face-to-face meetings for many people these days are long conference calls. Not only are the majority of people checking email and doing other things, without someone getting NA's and responsibilities down, they are an even worse time waster.

12hourhalfday

Registered
Barb;69815 said:
Even WORSE than face-to-face meetings for many people these days are long conference calls. Not only are the majority of people checking email and doing other things, without someone getting NA's and responsibilities down, they are an even worse time waster.
I KNOW!!! Thursday is my only conference call free day! The others days I have at least three 1 to 2 hour calls. One of those gets canceled and I am like wooohoooo!

Barb

Registered
My husband

12hourhalfday;69818 said:
I KNOW!!! Thursday is my only conference call free day! The others days I have at least three 1 to 2 hour calls. One of those gets canceled and I am like wooohoooo!

My husband is on conference calls ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I might also add, too, that they are often required on weekends. If the very, very senior management schedules a call with other very senior people, the calls are often at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. Very hardworking people, but I cannot even imagine how effective one could be in the long run.

Oh, and here's another observation I wonder if others face: People have stopped responding to emails so everyone IM's each other all day. So a busy manager gets a couple of hundred emails a day AND probably close to that in IMs.

Anyone else have to deal with that?

12hourhalfday

Registered
Barb;69821 said:
My husband is on conference calls ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I might also add, too, that they are often required on weekends. If the very, very senior management schedules a call with other very senior people, the calls are often at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. Very hardworking people, but I cannot even imagine how effective one could be in the long run.

Oh, and here's another observation I wonder if others face: People have stopped responding to emails so everyone IM's each other all day. So a busy manager gets a couple of hundred emails a day AND probably close to that in IMs.

Anyone else have to deal with that?
we have the IM function but the only real thing we use it for is to check to see if someone is at their desk so we can call:twisted:

Barb

Registered
Now this is actually funny

12hourhalfday;69822 said:
we have the IM function but the only real thing we use it for is to check to see if someone is at their desk so we can call:twisted:

My husband NEVER gets phone calls, although he has two lines for some reason. Of course, he's always on a conference call so nobody could get through anyway.

Kind of funny: with all the emailing and Iming and on conference calls and nobody ever picks up the phone and just calls someone. It's just not the company culture. It's a PHONE COMPANY!:-D

Flyer

Registered
Now I get it :)

Of course! I´ve had that possiblity on my work computer only for about six weeks now, but I have heard that people in bigcompanyland actually work with it... I knew this is a differnt world!

In our company it´s used only to agree on when to go out and have a beer or possibly to send a few words of encouragement to a colleague who is in the middle of a particularly frustrating phone call that you happen to overhear in the open office. :cool:

Barb

Registered
Hmmm

Flyer;69835 said:
Of course! I´ve had that possiblity on my work computer only for about six weeks now, but I have heard that people in bigcompanyland actually work with it... I knew this is a differnt world!

In our company it´s used only to agree on when to go out and have a beer or possibly to send a few words of encouragement to a colleague who is in the middle of a particularly frustrating phone call that you happen to overhear in the open office. :cool:

With your "relationship culture", I'm surprised you wouldn't get up from your desk and go hug the person on the frustrating call! :)

Flyer

Registered
No hugs, jokes yes

Not really, but a joke or two is fine. Using IM for discussing who goes to the municipal farmer's market today to get some fruit for a snack for the team, too.

Today I was experimenting on how to invite people to an IM meeting to be more efficient in deciding what would be the best day for that beer. Now, I don´t know if that´s an improvement in efficiency compared to e-mails going back and forth, or a terrible rabbit trail that may destroy my efforts on learning GTD... :rolleyes:

12hourhalfday

Registered
Flyer;69838 said:
Not really, but a joke or two is fine. Using IM for discussing who goes to the municipal farmer's market today to get some fruit for a snack for the team, too.

Today I was experimenting on how to invite people to an IM meeting to be more efficient in deciding what would be the best day for that beer. Now, I don´t know if that´s an improvement in efficiency compared to e-mails going back and forth, or a terrible rabbit trail that may destroy my efforts on learning GTD... :rolleyes:

hahaha! Anything that has to do with beer is an improvement on everything!