Mindmap Software Suggestions

YannCharlou

Registered
I use freeplane (https://docs.freeplane.org/) for many years and never found better for my needs.

It does'nt look modern but it is amazingly fast. You can create mindmap only from keyboard with only few simples shortcuts.
It offer some extremely advanced options like formulas and scripting.

For example, you can use it to prepare a complex quotation for a project and add days or costs on leaf and get the total on the root node.

It can export maps in a wide variety of formats and because it is open, you can extend it for your own needs. For example, I've created export that generate directory structure on filesystem directly from a mindmap.

It also works great with big maps.

It's only drawback is the lacks of live collaboration feature. But it is also the reason of it's speed. (A good old local app)

FocusGuy

Registered
Hi everyone,

I recently was turned on to mindmapping by someone in one of other forums to help me solve a challenge I was having. I am now in love lol.

However, I am trying to figure out some software to latch onto. I LOVE doing it on the whiteboard. But that doesnt go everywhere with me and there is not infinite space which quickly became a challenge. I am also far from an artist so the idea of cool pictures, colors, etc. sounds fun in a program.

My primary work computer is a mac, and I have an iphone and a ipad so I am heavily vested in the apple ecosystem. HOWEVER, when I work from home I do have a big 32" all in one desktop computer I love to use so having something I can use on that is not essential but would be really a big advantage. Taking advantage of that screen real estate could be cool for mind mapping vs opening my 14" macbook pro.

I am currently looking at (but not limited to feel to suggest others):
  • mindnode
  • xmind
  • simplemind
  • mindmeister
  • coggle
  • ayoa
I dont mind paying for good software. I currently have a subscription to lucidchart and will replace this with that as I never use it. And the mindmapping in there is not good. Bonus points if any program could do flow charts as well as I do use those for work sometimes in lucidchart but again very very rare.

I dont need to collaborate with others other than a share screen in a conference room. This will really be for me for my personal and work stuff only.

Thanks in advance for feedback, things you like and dont like, recommendations, etc on this!
I still use Xmind (free version) and often Freemind (old also free but OK)
Xmind is a good software. I used a lot mind map before learning GTD I did everything with it even my realestate memory (I wrote fastly after).
I dont use it a lot now except for my H4

strannik

Registered
The best I have found for the iOS/iPad/Mac/PC combo is iThoughts. I would second Mindomo as a second.

QuickPlan can take exports from iThoughts and turn them into project plans / GANTT charts.

bishblaize

Registered
Mindmapping software is great, but sometimes an outlining tool is a better fit. Works to the same principles, you start with a branch and then add sub-branches and sub-sub-branches. But while mindmapping I find better for pulling ideas out of my head, I find outlining tools better for putting my thoughts into order. Some mindmapping software has outlining tools built in, but they tend not to be as good as dedicated tools.

I use OmniOutliner, but Bike Outliner looks pretty good as well.

FocusGuy

Registered
Mindmapping software is great, but sometimes an outlining tool is a better fit. Works to the same principles, you start with a branch and then add sub-branches and sub-sub-branches. But while mindmapping I find better for pulling ideas out of my head, I find outlining tools better for putting my thoughts into order. Some mindmapping software has outlining tools built in, but they tend not to be as good as dedicated tools.

I use OmniOutliner, but Bike Outliner looks pretty good as well.
I use task paper for this. it helps me a lot or sometime i also use workflowy. I never tried omnioutliner as i use omnifocus. i Dont know the difference of version too...

bishblaize

Registered
I use task paper for this. it helps me a lot or sometime i also use workflowy. I never tried omnioutliner as i use omnifocus. i Dont know the difference of version too...
Omnioutliner and omnifocus are by the same company. I think that people were using omnifocus as an outliner a lot so they spun it out into its own product. Workflowy was good when I tried it, but I just prefer something I can install locally.

mcogilvie

Registered
Omnioutliner and omnifocus are by the same company. I think that people were using omnifocus as an outliner a lot so they spun it out into its own product. Workflowy was good when I tried it, but I just prefer something I can install locally.
Other way around. Omni group had OmniOutliner as a product, and a user adapted it for GTD. This led Omni to develop OmniFocus as a standalone product.

bishblaize

Registered
I should also mention that whenever I have a mindmap or outline task these days, I very often do it in chatGPT. If you're doing something fairly generic its a huge time saver. You always have to edit the results and its wholly unoriginal, but its still a lot easier to tidy up a list than create it from scratch.

List 20 things to include in my small business branding guidelines for staff to use in their day-to-day use of comms and branding materials

1. Logo use guidelines – including size, placement and color variations
2. Color palette – defining the primary and secondary colors used in branding
3. Font guidelines – specifying the typeface and sizes to use
4. Tone of voice – outlining the tone of written communication (e.g. formal, friendly, inspiring)
5. Message guidelines – defining the key messages to communicate to stakeholders
6. Editorial style guide – including grammar, punctuation, and style conventions
7. Image guidelines – specifying the type and quality of images approved for use in branding materials
8. Stationery guidelines – specifying the design format of letterheads, business cards and other printed materials
9. Social media branding guidelines – specifying how the branding should be used on social media platforms
10. Email signature guidelines – specifying the format and content to be used in email signatures
11. Website style guide – defining the layout, color, and font use on the website
12. Video guidelines – specifying how branding should be used in videos and presentations
13. PowerPoint template – specifying the approved design format for presentations
14. Branding collateral – identifying all supporting materials such as banners, posters, brochures, etc…
15. Event branding guidelines – specifying branding elements for events such as logos and backgrounds
16. Merchandise guidelines – specifying how the branding should appear on merchandise items such as t-shirts
17. Compliance guidelines – detailing regulations or laws that must be adhered to when using branding materials
18. Permissions – specifying who has permission to use the branding, and under what conditions
19. Branding training – providing training to staff to ensure they understand and can adhere to branding guidelines
20. Review process – setting out a process for reviewing branding materials for adherence to branding guidelines, including who has final approval.

schmeggahead

Registered
switch syncing engines without creating duplicates?
I don't know of any guide on the subject. I would close all iThoughtx applications on all devices, then backup the dropbox directory where you are keeping the mind maps. I started out on iCloud, so I don't think I created the folder where the mind maps are stored. If you already have a folder under your iCloud directory called iThoughts, I would thinking moving the files there would suffice. (have that backup handy).

RegTech_Frank

Registered
I used MindMeister very frequently in the past and sort of fell out of the habit a couple of years ago. It was very flexible and helped speed the brainstorming process. A couple of applications for it: 1). Laying out all aspects of a problem in a visual format helps keep a balanced view. I would brainstorm maps with benefits one side of the map and drawbacks on the other to weigh pros and cons visually, then would change the font to represent weighting. The ability to expand or collapse the nodes was helpful for zooming in and out. 2). Structured interviews (e.g. like in an Audit or Risk Assessment scenario where you have to have the same conversation with multiple respondents: I would use the mind map to list all the topic areas I needed to cover in the interviews, break out the sub-areas, then have the granular questions at the lowest level. Once happy with the template, I would clone it for each interview. As I was conducting the interviews, I would take notes directly in the mind map. At the end of the interviews, could export all content into Excel to collate.

RegTech_Frank

Registered
Mindmap to Gantt chart seems intriguing! I do a lot of my organization for a non-profit that I am starting, in MindNode. The mindmap is helpful at a strategic level, but causes problems at a tactical level. Basically now the actions are out at the periphery, and a whole lot less like marching orders.
there is an export to excel capability in MindMeister so if you institute the discipline of naming convention on next actions, can use filters after export. It also offers linkage to MeisterTask task management to the extent you designate a node in the mind map as a to-do (similar to how Word now allows Comments to be assigned and become tasks),

Murray

Registered
How did you find it Murray?
Hi Chris, I went on to sign up for a year's subscription to MindManager. It's an incredibly powerful tool which I'm still in the early stages of learning to fully utilise. I can see that it is starting to redefine how I approach brainstorming, project planning and reference materials.

chrisstribbs

Registered
Hi Chris, I went on to sign up for a year's subscription to MindManager. It's an incredibly powerful tool which I'm still in the early stages of learning to fully utilise. I can see that it is starting to redefine how I approach brainstorming, project planning and reference materials.
Mind View or Manager is my mind sweep capture tool and list manager. Glad you like it. Hope those videos help, the site also has manuals.