• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Moving through Next Actions

  • Thread starter Thread starter scollins01
  • Start date Start date
S

scollins01

Guest
Hi, I am currently struggling with how to move through Next Actions. In other words, I have several projects with NAs on the list. When I finish a NA is it better to look back at the project for the next action? OR check off the current NA and move to another NA in the context list?

The reason I say I struggle is that if I work through the NA list it seems like some projects take too long and cause me to become overwhelmed. If I stay with a project and continue to knock off the next actions I spend too much time on that project and not enough time on the context NA list.

If I work through the NA list checking off as I go, when does the next action in a project get put on the list? A weekly review seems too long to wait for and a daily review seems to contradict the simplicity of the system.

I may be analyzing this too much, but regardless, it is confusing to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shawn
 
Re: Moving through Next Actions

scollins01 said:
If I work through the NA list checking off as I go, when does the next action in a project get put on the list?

Generally, once I've started on a project, I may take several actions in a row on it before I hit a snag (I'm in the wrong context, need to hear back from someone, whatever). At that point, I will jot down the next action (@Waiting For: response from Bob re: hardware quote) and then look again at my list for the next thing I can do in this context.

The real answer to the question of "work down a list, or work through a project?" is however it works best for you. Some people apparently like cranking down a list; I tend to be more project-oriented, so my next action list functions as a series of bookmarks (or answers to the question, 'What's the next thing I have to do to get rolling on this project?')
 
Top