Music you listen to during weekly review?

ivanjay205

Registered
100% music! I have Apple Music and I rotate through some acoustic stations. Acoustic rock, pop, etc. It is nice as its good music but since its acoustic it is soft and not distracting. I find it puts me in such a better mood.

It also paces me, since the playlists repeat I kind of know when I am rushing vs going too slow on the review :)

mickdodge

Registered
This is interesting to me because I'm not able focus as well with music. I can think more freely and creatively with music (let my mind wonder), but even instrumental only music seems to reduce my ability to concentrate on performing tasks, like doing a weekly review. I'm not sure why music does that to me? :confused:

However, if I listen to anything to help me focus on something, it's usually repetitive nature sounds (wind, birds chirping, etc) or brown noise (e.g. https://noises.online/player.php?g=cg5da5gb5).

dtj

Registered
When i'm doing review like stuff, Focus@Will is my jam. Kora, to be specific. For other stuff I have a wide variety of tactically deployed albums, depending on what i'm doing. Deep debugging (programming), it's Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime" or Roger Waters "Amused to Death". Programming slogging its more Accept "Eat the Heat" or about a dozen other albums.

OliverG

Registered
When i'm doing review like stuff, Focus@Will is my jam. Kora, to be specific. For other stuff I have a wide variety of tactically deployed albums, depending on what i'm doing. Deep debugging (programming), it's Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime" or Roger Waters "Amused to Death". Programming slogging its more Accept "Eat the Heat" or about a dozen other albums.

Can't find that, would you have a link?
Btw I am collecting this:

Jim

GTD Ninja
In macOS Ventura, you can turn on Background Sounds.

Being native, it runs very well in the background.

You can turn on Background Sounds by going to: System Settings > Accessibility > Audio > then toggle it on and off.

I put it in the menu bar by going to: System Settings > Control Center > Hearing > Show in menu bar

As a menu bar item, it is very easy to turn on and off with a couple of clicks:

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 9.47.20 AM.png

Murray

Registered
For quite a while, I listened to album Global by Paul van Dyk: it seemed to keep me moving forward.
There are many, many Paul van Dyk albums on Apple Music and Spotify. Interestingly, Global (2003) does not appear to be among them.

But I'm listening now to a curated Apple Music playlist if his stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

Speaking of EDM, I'm going to see Rufus Du Sol this weekend.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
This is interesting to me because I'm not able focus as well with music. I can think more freely and creatively with music (let my mind wonder), but even instrumental only music seems to reduce my ability to concentrate on performing tasks, like doing a weekly review. I'm not sure why music does that to me? :confused:
Music stimulates the associative processing in my brain, so I usually don't listen during a review. I need to hold myself in the sequential mode to keep reviewing and not slip into doing or diving into a rabbit hole.

Oogiem

Registered
I'm not able focus as well with music
I can't tolerate any noise at all if I am working. My husband is the same. We can sit in our shared office space, 6 feet away from each other and never speak for hours, each of us quietly getting stuff done.

I don't like to listen to podcasts etiher. Even watching video is tedious. I'm much rather read an artcicle than watch a demo.