Musician needs help

mcogilvie

Registered
But that means you already have the habit. The person in this example would be a person who has struggled, perhaps for years, with kitchen chaos, and has failed. (Edited to add: And is it not clear that pretty much all of it, other than the 7am and 7pm ticklers, is a one-time project?)

“Wash dishes” assumes there’s room between the dish pile in the sink and the faucet. It assumes that there’s counter space to drain the dishes, that isn’t full of dirty dishes. It assumes that there’s free counter space to wipe.

When none of those things are true, some planning is called for.

So it’s clear that I should have started with a more familiar struggle. :) This one doesn’t happen to be my struggle, but it’s not all that rare.

if you tell me this approach has helped you or someone you know, I believe you but it is hard to comprehend. It seems very un-gtd, and seems to involve a lot of planning. Every thing I have read suggests very small incremental steps And lots of support. I don’t think this is a one-time cure either. Someone who has trouble at that level in washing the dishes will not succeed until the underlying issues are addressed.

Gardener

Registered
if you tell me this approach has helped you or someone you know, I believe you but it is hard to comprehend. It seems very un-gtd, and seems to involve a lot of planning. Every thing I have read suggests very small incremental steps And lots of support. I don’t think this is a one-time cure either. Someone who has trouble at that level in washing the dishes will not succeed until the underlying issues are addressed.

The idea, in summary is:

- Washing a day's dishes every day is easier than washing the dishes once in a long while. So you set yourself up for that habit.
- Part of setting yourself up for that habit is clearing the backlog.

Again, this is a one time project. You're not doing the whole thing, complete with doughnuts and brunch reservations, every day or every week.

Hey Peter.

I wouldn't email to Notion even if I could. I found previously emailing to my task manager's inbox overwhelming and messy and wasn't for me. I ended up having emails everywhere and got confused very quickly. Now, since only recently overhauling my email process. I manually add the task into the task manager if I feel I need to, otherwise I leave it as an action in email. The action of manually writing the email as a task in a context I can control and tag any way I want, to be the key for me. I become numb to hundreds of random emails in my inbox otherwise.

Hey Kelly, thank you for the insight into your system. Much appreciated. I, too, am beginning to not forward email to my task manager largely because most task managers that I have used do a lousy job of keeping the html format and it just becomes a big mess - including Nozbe, my current task manager.

Marie's work in Notion is fantastic. A couple of months ago I was in Toronto for work (I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia) and Marie, who is from Vancouver, was in Toronto doing a Notion meet-up, so I went there. Very cool and interesting - also that I was by far the oldest person in the room LOL. The photo of Marie in the link you provided was actually taken at that meetup in Toronto.

Thanks again Kelly!

Peter