My favorite To Do list app is shutting down, would love recs for something similar

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by DAG, Sep 10, 2019.

1. DAG

DAG Registered

After dabbling with many different apps over the years, I discovered Task Labels - the most amazing to-do list app I've ever seen. It has everything: a gorgeous, engaging interface; multiple ways to view tasks (calendar, list, context); and it is incredibly user-friendly. [​IMG] There's also a website version of the app.

I have used this app faithfully for years and I'm just crushed that they are basically shutting the app down. It is so much better than any of the other apps I've wasted time on such as Remember The Milk and Wunderlist.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions for an app that is similarly beautiful and user-friendly. Thanks!:)

2. Mike Brennan

Mike Brennan Registered

I’ve tried nearly every single app out there. Right now, I believe Things 3 is the best.

David Popely and DAG like this.
  3. Peter Van Harmelen

Peter Van Harmelen Registered

CPA
    You might like Amazing Marvin. Not cheap, as I recall.

https://www.amazingmarvin.com/

I've recently switched to Trello, something I swore for 10 years I would never do. I wasn't a Trello person, I told myself. But I love it.

Peter

Boxy07 and DAG like this.
  4. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Professor of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
    David Popely, DAG and Mateusz like this.
  5. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

I've never heard of Task Labels so my first question is what operating system and what devices do you need to use?

Personally I use Omnifocus but it's Mac and iOS only.

6. bproffitt1010

bproffitt1010 Registered

Asana and My Life Organized are very good.

7. PanPiotrS

PanPiotrS Registered

TickTick will meet your requirements, I think.

DAG likes this.
  8. DAG

DAG Registered

Wow. You guys rock! Thank you all for your suggestions. I was bereft before but now I’m excited to check out these app recommendations. Since you're all GTD folks, I know these recommendations have been well vetted. Civilians (non-GTDers) can't appreciate all the features we need from our to-do apps. :D

Oogiem, regarding Task Labels - it was a very obscure but beautiful app available on the Iphone.

9. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

So... if everybody is advertising their well-known preferences, let me add Nozbe. Many poeple like its design and functionality but there's one very important thing: I know its founder and his dedication to keep Nozbe well and indepenent. So there's a very small probability that it will disappear like Wunderlist or the pace of improvements willl be slow.

DAG likes this.
  10. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Web & graphic designer, marketer
    Home Page:
    We meet again! The internet is indeed a small place.

Peter Van Harmelen likes this.
  11. Thais Godhino

Thais Godhino GTD Connect

GTD Master Trainer
    Todoist
    Asana
    Tick Tick
    Nirvana
    Toodledo

DAG likes this.
  12. mclDeveloper

mclDeveloper Registered

Hello folks,

I know, I just registered account about 5 min ago and already trying to "sell" you something.
    I beg your pardon for that.

As any of you I've been walking through belief and disbelief. I wouldn't write this message if I haven't gone over it finishing my first project and launching it.

Tbh, I'd tried some different apps, some of you mentioned, to keep me on my track. I can't really say they're simple to use. Some of them suggest whole lexicon just to be able to get how to use it.
    It can be simpler - notes with notes inside.

Let's say I'd like to learn programming (one of few things I understand more or less deep),
    1. then you create your first note "learn programming".

Good start, but not specific enough.

Then you need to choose a programming language, that's how you learn that there's plenty of them.
    2. you create new notes inside "learn programming":
    C++
    Java
    Ruby
    Python

At this point you think you must keep focus only on one of them.
    Let's say C++.

3. add note named "courses" into "C++", now you can find as much as you can and save links inside "courses" note. Or inside any other note.

Passing some good course you learn what's syntax, how it works, you save some code examples in "Syntax" note, that you'll create later on.
    You're doing great, you're on your track. And you will be, because with DoDone you recreate your unique understanding, save information the way you can easily find it.

As you learn a new thing the new structure is building inside your mind - it is difficult, you sweat and feel pain.
    But you're moving towards, one step at a time. Things don't get done. You're making them real.

So... I'm making DoDone (https://dod.one) and looking for the first users to find the answer - whether it can be any useful for someone other than me.
    Feel free to contact me, I'd be glad to answer your questions.

Using these invites grants 10k notes and 1gb for attachments.
    55TT97ZX
    8PMUM96Z
    Z5TT8B7N
    CY474QQG
    AGPBQ7BH

Thank you for your time,
    Michael Avin

13. PanPiotrS

PanPiotrS Registered

What's different/better in your app than in any type of already established outliner-type app on the market - Notion, Dynalist, Workflowy, Omnioutliner, TaskPaper, org-mode, etc.? And how one can use GTD workflow in your app?

14. mclDeveloper

mclDeveloper Registered

Frankly speaking, from the apps you mentioned I tried only notion. Others had been Trello, Evernote and Notes in android (then iOS).

When I was using those apps the main focus was on anything, but actually making notes and thus doing stuff.
    To be more specific let's take Notion as example - it shoots me with many different buttons and menus (just 17, 17 items in menu alone...) and I haven't even started a single note.
    "It can be simpler" was my first thought.

In my solution all the focus is on note you write, the functionality is built around notes. The workflow is not predefined by application. You create your own instead, which suits better to your mindset.

On the main page you might see it in action.
    UPD 15.09:
    another thing worth mentioning is search, my final goal is to make a powerful search (ofc, not Google-level, but as close as I can get). It's capable of something interesting even now.
    end.

Regarding to how does it fit with GTD workflow (based on fundamentals https://gettingthingsdone.com/what-is-gtd/):
    you start with a single aim - to do something, as you go towards its completion you clarify how it can be accomplished, creating nested "sub-aims".
    When you have plan of actions you can prioritize some notes putting them in the beginning of list or vice versa.
    After you can organize your notes - let's say my goal is "learning guitar", I might start with:
    - guitar basics
    -- exercise 1
    -- exercise ...
    -- exercise N

but then some of trainings seemed to be harder, you just organize them as:
    - guitar basics
    -- exercises
    --- basics
    -----* -- exercise 1
    -----* -- exercise 2
    --- advanced
    -----* -- exercise 3
    -----* -- exercise 4

At last, engage - there's no magic, you just get to act if you think it's worth your time.
    Not lying to myself on what actually matters must be the most difficult thing - I can watch a movie & something or, actually, stand up and do something useful for myself.

Once this video hit me:

it still helps me time to time to distinguish what's urgent and important

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  15. PanPiotrS

PanPiotrS Registered

Do yourself a favor and read the GTD book. And if you really want to make some money on that software, learn first about your competition, I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay for such basic outline functionality in 2019+. Also you said on your website: "There's no free stuff in the World, always someone pays." - that's not true, there are open source solutions one can use, things like org-mode, https://github.com/zadam/trilium and also more and more commercial services provides free access for single users to promote their software while getting money from bigger teams.

BTW. generic outliners can be used to implement full GTD workflow, especially Dynalist - it has tags, Inbox, GCal sync, bookmarks for nodes and search results, web/mobile/desktop apps, etc. There are even outliners dedicated for GTD, like MyLifeOrganized and GTDNext. But I personally think that outliners provide too much freedom. I use them for braindumps and to plan my projects, but they're not that great for listing actions (or even to store references / project support stuff). One pretty soon, instead of focusing on actions linked to some contexts and projects, try to organize everything into sub-sub-sub projects, sub-sub-sub areas of focus, sub-sub-sub goals etc, and it becomes overwhelming. I guess some people can be consequent enough to not overuse those features, but I saw many times that people (myself included) are getting lost with outliners. Nirvana provides perfect balance IMO giving ability to store actions linked to projects, but no subprojects. Thanks to that one can organize actions better than in typical task managers, but still not overorganize.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    mclDeveloper likes this.
  16. mclDeveloper

mclDeveloper Registered

Excuse me for the little offtop, just one point.

Is this fair someone pays for "single" users ?

When I come to a shop I pay for stuff I'd like to have; the thing is I also pay for people stealing things, the price is slightly increased, just to cover the expenses. It's not fair; however that's the only way to keep business profitable for an owner, otherwise there's no business.

I wouldn't like for my users to pay for someone else. They pay their bills.

17. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

IMHO there's no business in single user todo list managers. It was a business when Nozbe, OmniFocus, Things, or Todoist were created but now it's a free commodity. OmniFocus thrives because it is a really good list manager and a very fashionable one. Nozbe is successfully becoming team-oriented. The trend is towards a team workflow management.

mclDeveloper likes this.
  18. Kevin James

Kevin James Registered

Sr. Software Engineer
    I'd suggest the following:
    * NirvanaHQ - if you want something very GTD centric, excellent app, web/iOS/Android, my favorite right now.
    * Todoist - On every platform, very flexible, one of the best rapid entry interfaces I've seen, tons of integrations
    ** Be sure and get the Todoist Shortcuts Chrome Extension if you want hotkeys galore!
    * RemeberTheMilk - Also very flexible, some the best shortcut keys (can navigate entire system from keyboard), powerful filters
    * Asana - if you're working with teams
    * Toodledo - will be interesting to see where they go under new management now, used it for years early on.

Longstreet likes this.
  19. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Professor of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
    Of course....I would strongly suggest Nirvanahq.....:D

David Popely and Kevin James like this.
  20. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

It’s a “trend” that has been out there for a while. Devs have their eyes on many-seat contracts and much money. I think there are a lot of problems:
    • There is no theory for how such an app should work
    • Why should corporations pay somebody else for things Microsoft says it can do?
    • There are many enterprises which do not fit well with current team apps
    • Team apps don’t meet individual needs well
    I’ve tried out both m’softs new todo app and apple’s New version of reminders, and I don’t think the market for individual-oriented todo apps is going away. The free apps are not as good as the paid apps.

TesTeq likes this.