My favorite To Do list app is shutting down, would love recs for something similar

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by DAG, Sep 10, 2019.

1. OF user

OF user Registered

If you like the iPhone, you may want to look at the new Reminders on iOS 13 or on the iPad OS.

2. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

There are a lot more companies with 5-20-50 employees than corporations. It is a huge market for Nozbe and others who support team work. They don't use Microsoft's tools.

3. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

I suppose. There are a lot of technical fields where Linux is ubiquitous, for example.

TesTeq likes this.
  4. KW7

KW7 Registered

I've been using Evernote for years. It's hardly a "task" app but it allows me to collect support info of all kinds (PDF files, text notes, pictures, etc.) and keep them in the same place as the tasks. For me, that's a big help. There is also a PDF manual from David Allen that walks you through the steps of setting up GTD in Evernote. Worth the small investment, in my view. If you read a lot of PDFs for work, the ability to read them on a tablet, highlight passages and have a summary of the highlights generated automatically is amazing. A 50 page document for me can be reduced to 1-2 pages of highlights and comments. That's a big deal.

Now that I've said that --- Nirvana, another app, looks very interesting to me and I was only recently made aware of it. If I were in your place, starting from scratch, I think I would try Nirvana first. It provides next actions automatically and has a number of great project management tools that I like. I just can't decide if I want to move my whole world from Evernote to it...

One final note, before selecting another software package, consider how likely the developers are to continue their work. I've done some very rudimentary software work myself and it is just that -- work. People need to get paid for work and for improvements. Too many people think software should be free for ever. I'll let you do the math on how sustainable that business model is likely to be. I would much prefer to pay a few dollars per month (Nirvana Pro is $5/month, I think) with some level of confidence that an important tool will be there in a year than save a few bucks and take a chance that the app disappears. I watch news on Evernote's corporate and financial progress closely.

Good luck with your search and please report back and what you choose and why.

5. KW7

KW7 Registered

Thanks for the Nozbe suggestion. Heading to take a look now. Any idea how long they've been around?

TesTeq likes this.
  6. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

"Nozbe was launched more than 12 years ago in February of 2007 as a web app written for a desktop computer by yours truly. Nozbe resonated with people, and it quickly became popular. Initially, Nozbe was run by a single guy and was just a system inspired by Getting Things Done® for a single purpose." https://nozbe.com/blog/nozbe4-beta-launch/

7. Peter Van Harmelen

Peter Van Harmelen Registered

CPA
    It is that! :)

8. David Popely

David Popely Registered

Provided you are in a 100% Apple ecosystem.....

Boxy07 likes this.
  9. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

My perception is that there is more quality productivity software available on Apple hardware. I certainly don’t read nearly as much about PC software, or Android. Of course, some people use iPhones personally and PC’s at work, and make do. Or use a web app plus smartphone app. In my opinion, Things is really well-designed and way ahead of everything else on any platform.