Need Tips for Taking Notes in Meetings.

tm_meier

Registered
My preferred note taking tool is OmniOutliner, and I'll sometimes use MindManager for brainstorming during meetings. My OO notes are pretty much "stream of consciousness", just capturing what's said as it's said. I go back after the meeting and review the notes for action items. MM and OO have worked pretty well for me, but I'd like to hear how other people take notes in meetings. Thanks!

U

unhinged

Meeting Template

I use this paper template I created that was inspired by the Cornell system. It works great and provides a nice reference for meeting minutes or for my action items later.

Brent

Registered
Nice topic!

I use a simpler form, adapted from the Cornell method. The left third is a one column, the right third is another column, and the bottom fourth is a single row. The left column is headed "My Actions". The right column is headed "Notes". The bottom row is headed "Summary." At the very top are little labels for "Topic:" and "Date:"

So, as the meeting begins, I write down the topic/subject at the top of the page, and the date. I then take notes in the large column on the right. If I'm assigned or take on any work, I note that in the "My Actions" column. At the end, if needed, I rewrite the notes into a concise, well-worded summary in the row at the bottom.

The paper goes into my inbox, of course.

Jeff K

Registered
Livescribe pen suitable for some notetaking situations

I'm looking forward to the Livescribe pen being released in Canada. One of these things where technology will probably start to change how we think about how we relate to our written notes.

njones4213

Registered
I am a total digital geek for processing, but for me taking notes with paper is the way to go. I don't know, there is just no replacing taking notes for me with a pencil. It seems to set me in the right mood to open my mind and not try to judge the merits of anything.

I use a standard letter sized padfolio with ruled paper. For each item i consider worth noting, I skip a line and write it down. I could care less if the notes use 10 pages for a half hour meeting. I used to try to cram everything in as small a space as possible, but since I got used to capturing one idea per page in capture mode, I got over that and now leave ample room for added ideas. I also only strike items with a single line. I find it useful later to read the thought process and not just the final thing decided on.

I use a simple coding system in the left margin during the meeting lulls. I put a star next to action items for me, and and arrow next to action items delegated to others, a question mark for items that I need to get more information about. I use a square for dated information (such as boss will be out tuesday). Someday/Maybe Items I am a little fuzzy about. Sometimes I use a circle, and sometimes I use nothing. The last thing is I put a check next to anything relating to what I consider my currently active big projects. I have lots of projects going, but only 3 or 4 that are my main focus at any given time.

This simple coding makes it really easy to enter everything into my system. I use thinking rock combined with lotus notes and google calendar.

-nj

tm_meier

Registered
Thanks to all of those who responded. You've given me some great ideas I can use at my next meeting.

I noticed that most of you are using paper and pen to take meeting notes. I tried that for a while, but I've converted to digital for a number of reasons:
  • I can type a lot faster than I can write
  • My hand gets crampy after writing for a while, even after trying every ergonomic pen and writing utensil out there. (This problem is probably due to my very limited range of wrist flexion, an anatomical quirk I was born with.)
  • Since I got a laptop, I've made a goal of going as paperless as possible. If my notes are going digital eventually, why not just take them digitally?
  • If I have to draw something by hand in a meeting, I can simply scan the drawing and stick it in my OmniOutliner document.
Just a few reasons why digital works better than paper for me.

Brent

Registered
Do whatever works for you; I certainly appreciate the time savings while typing.

However, I do want to note for everybody's reference that using a laptop during a meeting--even if you insist you're only taking notes--is often seen as unprofessional or disruptive. It may hurt your ability to advance...or it may be absolutely fine at your place of work. Just be sensitive.

I will also suggest that, if you're taking so many notes that your typing speed vs. your writing speed is a factor, you may want a different way to take notes. Ever noticed that even highly effective executives don't type away on laptops during meetings? You may not need to record as much data as you're recording.

That said, when I have taken notes digitally, I've used either Wordpad, or in one case Excel for a complex set of shared tasks that we were meeting about every week; the Excel spreadsheet was saved on a shared drive so everyone could review it throughout the week.

wordsofwonder

Registered
Brent;57914 said:
Ever noticed that even highly effective executives don't type away on laptops during meetings? You may not need to record as much data as you're recording.

I've been reading an interesting book about personal power and business effectiveness recently, and one of the underlying themes that the author touches on has to do with the impressions we create in our interactions with others. One of my focus areas at the moment is being mindful of those impressions in my own business interactions, and so I'm paying a lot more attention to the impressions I have of others as well. It feels to me that, rightly or wrongly, scribbling/typing away endlessly during a meeting tends to undermine the impression that the person I'm meeting with has my full attention.

Translating that back to the topic at hand, I've definitely noticed that my natural tendency is to record a whole lot more information than is really needed, and that I don't end up doing anything with the majority of that information anyway. So I've been trying to only record commitments (deadlines, deliverables, price quotes, action items, etc.) in my notes. And so far, 4 weeks into the experiment, I'm not finding that I'm missing anything significant that way.

Just food for thought.

kewms

Registered
wordsofwonder;57916 said:
One of my focus areas at the moment is being mindful of those impressions in my own business interactions, and so I'm paying a lot more attention to the impressions I have of others as well. It feels to me that, rightly or wrongly, scribbling/typing away endlessly during a meeting tends to undermine the impression that the person I'm meeting with has my full attention.

I think that depends on the meeting. If the purpose of the meeting is information transfer, then the more notes you take (and the more questions you ask), the more confident in your understanding the other person is likely to be.

Katherine

wordsofwonder

Registered
kewms;57919 said:
I think that depends on the meeting. If the purpose of the meeting is information transfer, then the more notes you take (and the more questions you ask), the more confident in your understanding the other person is likely to be.

True, and this is to some extent also a personal style thing. For the kinds of work I do, asking questions (and restating my understanding of things) helps with confidence more than notetaking. For others, I'm sure this is not the case. As I think about it, I think a useful question might be what percentage of one's notes, taken during meetings, are actually referred to later on. If you're filling pages of a notebook creating a written record you never refer to, or if you're missing critical information in your notes, it might be worth looking at whether you're taking an appropriate number of notes or not.

sdhill

Registered
wordsofwonder;57916 said:
So I've been trying to only record commitments (deadlines, deliverables, price quotes, action items, etc.) in my notes. And so far, 4 weeks into the experiment, I'm not finding that I'm missing anything significant that way.

This is exactly what I picked up from the Manager Tools podcast referenced earlier in this thread and have been practising for the past 6 months. Works very well.

Brent

Registered
kewms;57919 said:

Oh, not necessarily. I take it as a sign that the person I'm with is just good at transcribing spoken words to written text, not that they're necessarily listening or learning anything. I've been in plenty of meetings with folks who scribble like mad, then demonstrate lack of comprehension. They're so focused on transcription that they miss what's being said.

tm_meier

Registered
Some people have made some valid comments about the perception I might create in a meeting by typing on my laptop. Others have asked the fair question, am I taking too many notes. Both are important issues that I've given much thought.

My taking of detailed notes in meetings has put me in good stead with my boss, the head of one of the two major divisions in our corporation. On a number of occasions he's asked meeting attendees what we decided in a previous meeting, and, more importantly, why we made that decision. I was the only person able to answer the second question because of the notes I took. Because my notes have proved so useful, he's asked me to send copies to everyone after the meetings to remind them of what we decided and who is responsible for taking action. In short, far from making an unfavorable impression, my detailed note taking has made a very favorable impression and given me the reputation of being detail oriented and someone who doesn't let anything slip through the cracks. It would be impossible for me to take those notes by hand and still remain involved with the meeting.

Nor do I stand out by typing on a laptop during the meeting. Everyone, including the boss, has a laptop open. The boss is the one checking his email on his laptop and his blackberry every few minutes. Drives me nuts, but what can you do: he's the boss. :wink:

I do understand that my situation may be different than what most people face in meetings, and I do appreciate all the tips people have provided. There are a few I plan on using at my next meeting in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

wordsofwonder

Registered
I've had a bit of free time this morning to process the backlog in my RSS reader, which I've been ignoring lately because of higher priority items, and I came across an interesting post on the 43 Folders blog about "topless meetings" (as in, "no laptops"). Some great comments on that post, too.

sdhill

Registered
tm_meier;57933 said:
Nor do I stand out by typing on a laptop during the meeting. Everyone, including the boss, has a laptop open. The boss is the one checking his email on his laptop and his blackberry every few minutes. Drives me nuts, but what can you do: he's the boss. :wink:

Amazing what tm_meier has described for us......why even have a meeting if everyone is sitting there not fully engaged in it? Better that each person grabs their laptop and heads back to their office/cubicle to continue working on what was presumably more important.

As we've learned through GTD there's no such thing as multi-tasking, focusing on one thing at a time is crucial. Therefore when you're in a meeting you can't be doing anything else. Probably also the reason tm_meier's colleagues weren't aware of the decisions and actions from the meetings he was in - they weren't listening!

It's amazing to me how much time is lost in meetings that should never occur in the first place.....

Brent

Registered
tm_meier;57933 said:
Nor do I stand out by typing on a laptop during the meeting. Everyone, including the boss, has a laptop open. The boss is the one checking his email on his laptop and his blackberry every few minutes.

Wow. Just wow. What a terrible example he's setting.

dhlesq

Registered
I am an estate planning attorney, and so a large portion of my work is meeting with clients to learn of their intentions, family members, assets, etc.

I mentally divide my intake meeting into three sections.

The first section takes about 10 minutes. I do not have pen and paper. I make good eye contact and talk to the client about who they are and how it is they came to be in front of me. This is where I form a bond, encourage trust, and communicate that I am all ears.

In the second section I open a folio, grab a pen, and grab an intake questionaire and retainer agreement. This section takes about an hour. During this time I am furiously writing notes, but pausing at the end of each section to re-engage eye contact, and assess whether the client is comfortable with their decisions, or whether they need further eplanation, exploration, or suggestions.

In the third section I say that I think we are about done. I close the folio. I put the pen away. I say that wasn't so bad was it. I explain the steps going forward. I tell them about how long it will take. I ask if there are any questions. Then I converse with the client for as long as they like in order to leave with a feeling of trust and comfort.

While this is primarily an information-exchange meeting, if I do not do the first 10 minutes, then the client will never be comfortable enough to open up to me and give me the information that I need. Also, if I do not do the lasts 10-20 minute section, then the client will leave with concern, uncertainty, and a shadow of doubt as to whether I actually understand them.

Incidentally, I used to do the information-exchange portion of the meeting with my laptop computer, however the screen between myself and the client created a social barrier that prevented efficient information exchange.

These principles are not just true for my specific circumstance. In any meeting, in any area of our life, we go through the same three steps. Being conscious of them prevents us from short-circuiting or rushing one of the phases and ultimately creates a stronger bond at the outset, better information exchange, and a stronger bond at the close.

Even telephone calls follow this pattern:

1) Hi how are you, long time no talk, how is the family
2) The reason I called is becasuse...
3) It was great talking to you, I'll talk to you soon, I look forward to seeing you soon, goodbye.

A long post for just $.02.

sdann

Registered
Prior to reading the thread here, I used to think that electronic note-taking was not effective and it created a disconnect. I believe the majority of people still feel that way. I also thought that electronic notetakers were doing other things, such as checking email, etc. This is particularly true of pdas, since they are so small to type on. Obviously that is not the case here, but it'll be interesting to see if I can shake off that presumption at the next meeting.