New to GTD and a Gmail Addict, looking for feedback

SCOTTeVESTceo

Registered
Hi everyone. I am 75% through the book and committed to this, but struggling setting up my Gmail Inbox properly and could use some help. Previously, I work with zero inbox using no labels but snoozing heavily. I feel that I need to use labels/folders along with snoozing feature, but not sure the best set up.

Also, having some issues determining hard edges for Projects but hope to resolve that on my own.

I'd love to see screenshots of your Folder/Label structure. Mine is here, obviously very early.

I am also struggling with the Waiting For/Delegated folder structure. Seems that most things I do are delegated. Any input here is appreciated. It seems that working with non-GTG folks makes life difficult.

The good news is that for the most part, ALL of my GTD Inbox is somewhere in my Inbox or Gmail (snoozed), so my inventory phase should not be that hard.

Thanks very much. I look forward to being an active member of this community.

Scott

Attachments

chirmer

Registered
Here's mine. It's nothing crazy or revolutionary - just my key needs.

Pasted Graphic.png

I keep labels for key statuses - Awaiting Reply, Following, Pay Stubs, Policies, and Receipts.

Then I have a master label for active projects, with each project having its own sublabel, and completed project, where I move them when they are done. All active projects have the same label color, as well as all complete, so I can visually associate a label as active or complete when in my email list.

That's it, really!

Re: snooze, I use it when I cannot act in any way on an email until a later date. I will snooze it until then. If I need to see it when going thru my lists, I will add it there, but if it's just going to be clutter... nah. Snoozed and forgotten!

Hope this helps.

SCOTTeVESTceo

Registered
Thanks so much. So you do labels by "Project" too, along with the key status too, and color coded?

So, if I have a project, e.g. Facebook Advertising, I should have the GTD categories/status for that project?

PeterByrom

Registered
Very glad you're using GMAIL! Much better for tagging than Outlook!

Here's the principle I recommend:

You need to have two types of tags:

1. Normal tags, named after whatever the item is about.
2. Special tags with a "-" or "@" prefix, named after whatever you need to DO with the item.

And the simplest setup, indeed, is to just make two special tags:

-Action
-Waiting For

That means, when you're processing your inbox, you can tag an email with BOTH the detail of what the email is about, and what you need to do with it. for example, you find an email from the Finance Dept asking you to review a report and send feedback, so you add the tags "finance" and "-action".

After you've completed the action, and you remove the "-action" tag, then that means you've archived the item already, because it will just sit in "finance"!

SCOTTeVESTceo

Registered
Very glad you're using GMAIL! Much better for tagging than Outlook!

Here's the principle I recommend:

You need to have two types of tags:

1. Normal tags, named after whatever the item is about.
2. Special tags with a "-" or "@" prefix, named after whatever you need to DO with the item.

And the simplest setup, indeed, is to just make two special tags:

-Action
-Waiting For

That means, when you're processing your inbox, you can tag an email with BOTH the detail of what the email is about, and what you need to do with it. for example, you find an email from the Finance Dept asking you to review a report and send feedback, so you add the tags "finance" and "-action".

After you've completed the action, and you remove the "-action" tag, then that means you've archived the item already, because it will just sit in "finance"!
OMG. This is soooo helpful. I find that I do extremely well before GTD using inbox zero principles along with snooze, but ensure I can manage not just by snooze but the GTD principles it would be so much better.

I still haven't figured out what to call a "project" yet, but perhaps that will come to me. Also, having difficulties with Waiting For and delegated tasks as most people seem to ignore emails and it requires a ton of Follow Up just to get the ball moving.