Newbie Q: Should my Reference papers be stored in the same place as my Projects ?

Ship69

Registered
Hi

Newbie question:
- Is there supposed to be a difference between where "Reference" stuff is filed vs. where "Project" stuff is filed?

Background
I have bought the following hardware:
- Two good quality 2-drawer filing cabinets with foolscap hanging files (Bisley BS2e)
- About 200 cardboard squarecut folders
- A Brother hand-held labelling machine (P-Touch H75)

My plan is to put all paperwork for each of my "Projects" (for my entire life) into it's own cardboard file.... with each file named using (labeling machine) and each hanging file also named (also using labelling machine - press print twice!). But I am concerned that my reference material may get in the way of my projects. OR should there be a whole new place to store my reference material separately from my projects?

Either way I notice that in David Allens video on YouTube ("How David Allen Gets Things Done")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ULWQ_tnM8

Either way I notice that in practice, he keeps a few of his project files OUT on his desk, not in his "alpha system". IE he keeps some of his "current projects coming towards me", plus some of his "System folders" such as "Travel", "Talk to Catherine"...

Many thanks

J

SiobhanBR

Registered
I have one filing system sorted alphabetically at work and one at home. At work, I keep a list of the file names in a word document (I can print the label from there so it's no extra work) and that allows me to search as needed when I can't remember what I filed it under. I'm not sure why you would need to label the hanging files; I just label the folders.

My project support materials are stored in this same system. However, I do have a "current project" storage area in the bottom left drawer of my desk for projects I am actively working on. This gets them out of my way but still handy. When no longer active or when I run out of room, they get filed in with the rest of the files.

I am in and out of my files all day and adding a piece of paper to a file or creating a new file is easy and quick. I do have another cabinet on the far side of the room that is for "Deep Storage" - for things I'm not quite ready to throw away but don't need as easy access to. When my regular drawers start to get full, I find it easier to relegate files there than worry about what to shred. Once a year on our office clean-up day, I'll go through all the files and actually get rid of things I no longer need.

Ultimately, your filing system needs to work with you and your workload and your workspace.

Oogiem

Registered
That is a rather difficult question to answer. In the end do what works for you. However, here are my suggestions:

First off, ditch the hanging folders, or at least don't bother to label them, only use them as holders to keep your inside folders upright. IMO it's too hard to manage any other way.

I keep my main filing system in 4 four drawer file cabinets behind my desk. In it are folders for all reference materials, also folders for projects that are in Someday Maybe but that have support materials already. Everything is filed A-Z. I have a small 2 drawer file cabinet beside my desk. The top drawer has my current project files and my tickler system and paper. Unfortunately I have more current project folders than will fit in that space so I also have a container on top of my desk with the rest of the current project folders. The bottom drawer contains an A-Z set of folders for our ditch company that I am the treasurer of. I keep all those files separate so I can hand them off to the next officer easily. One of the drawers in my reference system is also dedicated to all the papers and files for the Sheep Association I am the secretary and registrar for. Again, they are separate so I can easily send them to someone else. The only set of stuff that is within the general reference but in a separate system are my genealogy files. Those are set up according to a system from a book I read on how to file massive amounts of genealogical data.

For me reference and project on hold or historical is a grey area so it's a lot easier to just keep one big location. Otherwise have to remember was this originally a project and is now reference? Or was this some reference material that has now morphed into a project and where should I look for it?

I'm all about making it easier to find something not harder.

I originally set up a color coding of folders with green for plant and general farm stuff, yellow for the computer business we run, blue for the animal side of farming, manila for personal stuff and purple for the sheep association. Since I reuse folders I try to keep it that way but as the old folders get worn out and get thrown away I am switching to all manila folders except for the sheep association stuff. That is so clearly separate that I like the visual cue of a different color folder for those projects and reference materials.

Ship69

Registered
SiobhanBR said:
I'm not sure why you would need to label the hanging files; I just label the folders.

Siobhan - I don't understand. Surely the each hanging file needs at plastic "tab" with a label on it so that you can see what's in the hanging file without opening it up! The alternative would be to open the draw and look at a long row of hanging files and have no idea what is in each of them.

Attached files

SiobhanBR

Registered
If you are using standard file folders, they have a tab for labelling that sticks up above the hanging file. That is what you see when you open the drawer. I would most definitely label the folder so when you have it out and are using it you know what it is without looking in it.

bcmyers2112

Registered
There is no hard-and-fast answer to this question. Do whatever works for you. If you're not sure what that is, try it one way and if it doesn't work, try it another way. There's no harm in a bit of trial-and-error here.

I agree with Oogiem and Siobahn that if you have to use Pendaflex folders (unfortunately I am stuck with them at the moment) it's best not to label the hanging folders. Hanging folders are not easily portable, but manila folders are, which is why it's best to label the manila folders. That way if you grab a folder to take with you to a meeting or review while waiting for an off-site appointment or something, when you get back to your desk you don't have to wonder where the darn thing is supposed to be filed.

DenaDahilig

Registered
My 2 cents - and worth precisely that:

In my life, a year's worth of filed paper is daunting... a lifetime's worth justifies it's own 20 by 20 foot storage unit!

I've gotten super clear on what pieces of paper I physically need to hold on to... veeeeery few, in fact. The rest I scan or photograph into Evernote. Typed documents are searchable, as are a surprising number of my hand-written notes.. and my handwriting isn't particularly stellar, either! And Evernote syncs to all of my devices.

So I ask myself constantly, "Self, do you really need THIS? Nope? That's exactly what I thought!"

Dena

bcmyers2112

Registered
Dena, I treat my records the same way. I'm working on getting paper down to only what HAS to be on paper (like for legal reasons). I jot most of my handwritten notes into an Evernote Moleskine and scan them into Evernote using my iPhone at the end of the day. This is particularly helpful because I'm a salesperson and I am on the road a lot. My notes about customer interactions are always with me and easily searchable in Evernote across all my devices.

Ship69

Registered
SiobhanBR said:
If you are using standard file folders, they have a tab for labelling that sticks up above the hanging file. That is what you see when you open the drawer. I would most definitely label the folder so when you have it out and are using it you know what it is without looking in it.
What exactly is a "standard file folder" ? Are they made out of plastic or card or what?
I starting to think that we simply dont have such things in the UK...
And worse, knowing that the US "Letter size" and "Legal Size" (??), we here in the UK use "A4" of "Foolscap" (which is slightly larger than A4. My filing 6 draws of hanging files (2-drawer x3) are all "Foolscap" - so there is a good chance that even if I managed to buy "standard file folder" like you suggest, complete with built in tabs that stick up that can be labelled, that they wouldnt fit in my Foolscap filing cabinets... :^/

On another note I am now wondering where to keep immediate stationary supplies (e.g. stamps, sellotape, spare pens, business cards, staples, calculator things to get into my bank accounts... scissors spare tabs etc). The problem is that I will need a tickler file right beside me and so am planning to have a 2-drawer hanging file filing cabinet either side of my chair, under my desk... I suppose I'll have a couple of small drawers sitting on my desk. These ergonomic issues are quite important to productivity!

Ship69

Registered
bcmyers2112 said:
There is no hard-and-fast answer to this question. Do whatever works for you. If you're not sure what that is, try it one way and if it doesn't work, try it another way. There's no harm in a bit of trial-and-error here.

I agree with Oogiem and Siobahn that if you have to use Pendaflex folders (unfortunately I am stuck with them at the moment) it's best not to label the hanging folders. Hanging folders are not easily portable, but manila folders are, which is why it's best to label the manila folders. That way if you grab a folder to take with you to a meeting or review while waiting for an off-site appointment or something, when you get back to your desk you don't have to wonder where the darn thing is supposed to be filed.

1. I'm not looking for firm rules - just advice of what seem to work ergonomically for you folks personally

2. What's wrong with Pendaflex folders (I'm not sure we have them here in the UK in any case)

3. I'm not 100% sure what a "manila folder" is either but it appears to be a simple piece of folded card. If so YES that's exactly what I have bought (although they are not colour "manila"- with the idea that I will insert them into my hanging files, because as you correctly point out the hanging files themselves are not easy to transport. BUT the problem manila folders, is that they do not have tabs that stick up beyond the depth of the hanging file. (i.e. They disappear into the hanging file when inserted).

Obviously one problem with build-in tabs is that you cant move them sideways so that when the file contents are small that one tab does not hide the next tab when the whole lot are compressed...

Ship69

Registered
bcmyers2112 said:
Dena, I treat my records the same way. I'm working on getting paper down to only what HAS to be on paper (like for legal reasons). I jot most of my handwritten notes into an Evernote Moleskine and scan them into Evernote using my iPhone at the end of the day. This is particularly helpful because I'm a salesperson and I am on the road a lot. My notes about customer interactions are always with me and easily searchable in Evernote across all my devices.

The Evernote Moleskin looks rather mind-blowing
https://evernote.com/partner/moleskine/guide/
Can you say a little more about them. Do you using all those stickers? A lot? e.g. On every page?
And how good is Evernote at reading handwriting?
And what sort of disk space does it start to take up - e.g. suppose you had 1000 pages photographed - any rough idea?

Intriguing... but at GBP16.00 per notebook... gads these things certainly aren't cheap!

Oogiem

Registered
Ship69 said:
Obviously one problem with build-in tabs is that you cant move them sideways so that when the file contents are small that one tab does not hide the next tab when the whole lot are compressed...
Most come in 3 up tabs so the tabs are 1/3 the size of the folder.

However, I've been moving to using only left hand tabs and some middle tabs. I turn the right hand ones inside out. I find it's faster to locate stuff if I scan down a line of tabs with labels vs running my eyes back and forth. I use the middle tab position when I really have tosplit something up a bit. My files now are a mix of all 3 tab spaces but over time they will end up more and more in the left side only as I cull out old files and reuse folders by flipping them. Plus, for some things where I am using the folder a lot in and out, carrying it around etc the paper wears out and I throw them away and replace them.

ANd the ideal is to have space in your file cabinet so things are not so compressed. Yeah I know mine are stuffed to the gills too :) But it is an ideal to strive for. I am startign my annual sort and clean of the file cabinet. So that will help reduce the volume of stuff there. I also save as scanned copies a lot of things but for many I still need apper copies as well due to legal reasons.

marcia

Registered
You could group the projects in the file cabinet followed by the reference folders or in a dedicated drawer. As long as the projects are together and in a convenient place for you, it will be easy to find support material and to review the material during your weekly review.

Ship69 said:
My plan is to put all paperwork for each of my "Projects" (for my entire life) into it's own cardboard file.... with each file named using (labeling machine) and each hanging file also named (also using labelling machine - press print twice!). But I am concerned that my reference material may get in the way of my projects. OR should there be a whole new place to store my reference material separately from my projects?

TesTeq

Registered
Oogiem said:
They are made out of heavy card stock. Can come in colors but most often are manila or sort of a tan color.

I've never figured out the origins of the "manila folder" name. So it is a color?

Wikipedia says: The manila component of the name comes from manila hemp or abacá, from which manila folders were originally made.

And: Manila hemp is a type of buff-colored fiber obtained from Musa textilis, a relative of edible bananas, which is also called Manila hemp as well as abacá. (...) The name refers to the capital of the Philippines, one of the main producers of Manila hemp.

Ship69

Registered
I have been asking around in a couple of stationers here in the UK (e.g. Staples and Rymans) and no, we dont seem to have such folders with built in tabs here in the UK. And the folders that we do have are made of rather pathetically weak/floppy card - more like paper in fact. :^(

bcmyers2112

Registered
Ship69 said:
Can you say a little more about them. Do you using all those stickers? A lot? e.g. On every page?
And what sort of disk space does it start to take up - e.g. suppose you had 1000 pages photographed - any rough idea?

Intriguing... but at GBP16.00 per notebook... gads these things certainly aren't cheap!

I don't use the stickers at all. Evernote's handwriting recognition is dependent on your penmanship. Mine's terrible so I don't get much use out of that feature. I have no idea how much disk space the scanned pages takes up and besides Evernote limits your data upload rather than storage. You're right that the moleskines are expensive and frankly, I consider them a luxury. If money's tight (and lord knows I've been there) then don't bother with them. You could just as easily scan notes from cheap notebook paper.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Ship69 said:

I don't use the stickers at all. Evernote's handwriting recognition is dependent on your penmanship. Mine's terrible so I don't get much use out of that feature. I have no idea how much disk space the scanned pages takes up and besides Evernote limits your data upload rather than storage. You're right that the moleskines are expensive and frankly, I consider them a luxury. If money's tight (and lord knows I've been there) then don't bother with them. You could just as easily scan notes from cheap notebook paper.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Ship69 said:

bcmyers2112

Registered
Ship69 said: