Next actions in an analog system?

Arthursw55

Registered
hello everyone

I'm starting to implement the method, but I'm having problems dividing the next actions by context.

My gtd system is mostly analog, and at the moment all my next actions are in a general list in a notebook.

I'd like to know how you guys divide your next actions by context/priority/whatever you're using to divide your next actions in an analog system.

Appreciate any help

Here is what I currently do:

I have a Moleskinne cashier notebook which is for Next Actions, Agendas and Waiting Fors. only. Nothing else goes in there.

Each double page spread is dedicated to a single list. For example, I have a double page spread for @Home, another for @Calls, another for Agenda Partner, another for Agenda Boss, and another for Waiting For.

The pages are already lined, so I draw a small margin on the left of each page and write the list's name in large letters at the top of each page. When I add a new list item, I draw a square in the margin and write the list item on the rest of the line. I like to keep one line per item but when that is not possible, I use more lines but do not draw the square in the margin for the second and subsequent lines.

When an item becomes completed, I draw an X in the square in the margin.

I use sticky tabs so I can locate lists easily, but otherwise I don't worry about the order of the lists in the book.

When the double page fills up, I add another double page spread for the list and give it a sticky tab too. Sometimes this gives me two double page spreads for that list, but other times I copy the last few remaining items to the new page.

When I no-longer need a double page spread, I put a diagonal line across both pages, remove the sticky tab and cut the top right corner off with scissors. This helps me easily distinguish between pages I am still using and those I am finished with.

I would be interested to hear how others do it. In the past, I have used loose sheets of paper, index cards as well as various digital list managers.

hello everyone

I'm starting to implement the method, but I'm having problems dividing the next actions by context.

My gtd system is mostly analog, and at the moment all my next actions are in a general list in a notebook.

I'd like to know how you guys divide your next actions by context/priority/whatever you're using to divide your next actions in an analog system.

Appreciate any help
Hi Arthur and welcome to the analog world ;-)
My experiments is that the most complex you make it the most difficult it gets.
I showed my paper system. You see that there is a tab with Next action (it is the one with @) it is here !

I tried at the beginning to make a sheet of paper for each one eg @call, @office and so on... With me it did not work.
I tried to make 2 sheet of papers personal and professional. It was better but I had to put energy choosing and some were crossed personal / professional.

Now I changes my tab and called it Next

It jot a single paper list where I put every next action. I consider it as ak kind of inbox clarified of next action

My sheet of paper has at the top today's date. So add my next action one under the other by bloc, during my day They contains over 2 mn tasks I will do asap ( However there is an exception : I admit sometime I feel the energy to do things that can last 30, 45 mn or so. I feel I must do it; so I do it immediately. It is very exciting so they don't go in to this list but on my daily list - see later !)

Sometime I add the task duration. I can't see at a glance how much time it will take. Sometime I also add Eisenhower priorités or stars like the bujo rule (urgencies =*) I try to formulate with an action verb but as I am very analytic I often give a goal on.the task
eg I wrote today

Sometime I add colors blue personnel black professional to see things at a glance.

So it may look like :
27/6/2024 (june 6 2024)
* - Accountant : estimate expenses for vat deduction what did I bought this semester ? and ask the accountant to declare the vat. Then do this and that. Dead line 06/19 - Task B

I don't really try do make it perfect I make it in a way it Is understandable for myself. It is a starting point for me. The most important is my habit.
Tomorrow I will first look at my digital diary (must do stuff) + waiting for (paper), next action list (paper) and complete my daily list of task which is my map of the day and think strategy. What can I avoid ? What must be done ? As you see it is not a 100% GTD it mixt many methods

The core point about this next action list it to be a kind reminder / check list of everything I feel engaged to do as soon as possible.

When something is finished I cross it I love crossing !

When The page is finished I report done stuff on my bujo (summary) and I trash the page and get a new one.

My system is very fast and handy. I try not to box things. It slow me. I need a lack of burden to let my sprit flow and engage my energy. Evrytime I tried to make things to strict and to segmented it was a wash out. I need a bit of organization and setting but as needed not more. It looks me years to understand this.

Last edited:
hello everyone

Appreciate any help
I eventually moved mine to Excel, but when I kept them in my bujo, I used an the Alastair Method. Projects in the Alastair Method
Basically I set up a page with some narrow columns on the left, and one larger column on the right.
Large column = next action description
Narrow columns = each column equalled a context. I put a dot in the column / row as appropriate for the next action.

So "mow the lawn" would get a "garden" context and a dot in the Garden column. It's a really neat method of organising tasks in a way that doesn't need any forward planning or prep, you can just list them and apply the right dots.

Here is what I currently do:

I have a Moleskinne cashier notebook which is for Next Actions, Agendas and Waiting Fors. only. Nothing else goes in there.

Each double page spread is dedicated to a single list. For example, I have a double page spread for @Home, another for @Calls, another for Agenda Partner, another for Agenda Boss, and another for Waiting For.

The pages are already lined, so I draw a small margin on the left of each page and write the list's name in large letters at the top of each page. When I add a new list item, I draw a square in the margin and write the list item on the rest of the line. I like to keep one line per item but when that is not possible, I use more lines but do not draw the square in the margin for the second and subsequent lines.

When an item becomes completed, I draw an X in the square in the margin.

I use sticky tabs so I can locate lists easily, but otherwise I don't worry about the order of the lists in the book.

When the double page fills up, I add another double page spread for the list and give it a sticky tab too. Sometimes this gives me two double page spreads for that list, but other times I copy the last few remaining items to the new page.

When I no-longer need a double page spread, I put a diagonal line across both pages, remove the sticky tab and cut the top right corner off with scissors. This helps me easily distinguish between pages I am still using and those I am finished with.

I would be interested to hear how others do it. In the past, I have used loose sheets of paper, index cards as well as various digital list managers.
@cfoley Great analog workflow! Thank you! Where do you keep Projects and Someday/Maybe lists?

Projects in another moleskinne cashier notebook.

Someday/maybe digitally in obsidian. One file with ones to review weekly, and another file to review monthly. I have been considering moving these lists to paper but they are working pretty well as they are.

One file with ones to review weekly, and another file to review monthly.
@cfoley Thanks! I suggest a similar solution to my friends to avoid "Someday/Maybe overwhelm": four Someday/Maybe lists – to be reviewed Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly. You can describe this structure as circles: Projects in the center (it's the place of action) surrounded by concentric Someday/Maybe rings from the most probable to be activated (Weekly reviewed) to dreams (Yearly reviewed). @gtdstudente

Projects in another moleskinne cashier notebook.

Someday/maybe digitally in obsidian. One file with ones to review weekly, and another file to review monthly. I have been considering moving these lists to paper but they are working pretty well as they are.
If it works for you that's great. For me I prefer one long digital word list I review each week during my wr. If I need to review something I would use my tickler or my diary. I don't split my smb list because I use the search t find stuff. Sometime I make duplicates. So I can see at a glance if the item still exist or not. The smb list is for me like an incubator still something get actionnable. I make a distinction with may be another list where I put stuff I really don't know if I will do it or not.

I add something about someday may be list.

Some projects has their own paper folders. They are stuff i am working on.i jot there any someday task i intend to do and reference materials.

So the relative projects someday may be list never go to my global someday lists stay in my digital list they go into the project itself

Last edited: