Nirvana Setup Guide

Gardener

Registered
I am not in business, but was wondering about the idea of a "forever subscription". To me it does not seem logical - one payment forever? It would seem that over time they would not have a lot of extra funds to support growth of their product.

My guess is that people tend to buy software, play with it a while, shrug, and move on. If a substantial percentage of those people, in the glow of a new toy, pay for the forever subscription, then those people are more profitable without much cost--either actual cost or opportunity cost.

And if those people come back two years later, are they going to remember the forever subscription and do the necessary research to find their proof of payment, or are they just going to pay again? I can't figure out how I paid for OmniFocus; when I upgrade I'm just going to buy a new copy.

This is all a guess.

SDH

Registered
I started a new job at the beginning of November which required an entirely different organizational system from my former job. Former job: mostly predictable tasks scheduled throughout the year so needed a system in which I could easily pre-plan. Current job: majority is more unpredictable/responsive with far fewer predictable/schedulable tasks, so needed a system that could adapt easily. Basically, I needed a far more agile system. I switched from an Outlook-based system to Nirvana and have really been liking it a lot. My biggest issue is learning to not put everything in “Next,” and learning to use “Later” much more regularly. I tend to think, “I need to remember I have to do this soon,” and dump it in Next, to the point where Next becomes overwhelming. I’ve worked hard to remind myself that “Later” can simply mean “next week” or even, “after I’ve knocked out the current nexts.” Every few days, I find myself going through my “Next” list and moving a bunch of stuff to “Later” so the Next list is far less repellant!

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I started a new job at the beginning of November which required an entirely different organizational system from my former job. Former job: mostly predictable tasks scheduled throughout the year so needed a system in which I could easily pre-plan. Current job: majority is more unpredictable/responsive with far fewer predictable/schedulable tasks, so needed a system that could adapt easily. Basically, I needed a far more agile system. I switched from an Outlook-based system to Nirvana and have really been liking it a lot. My biggest issue is learning to not put everything in “Next,” and learning to use “Later” much more regularly. I tend to think, “I need to remember I have to do this soon,” and dump it in Next, to the point where Next becomes overwhelming. I’ve worked hard to remind myself that “Later” can simply mean “next week” or even, “after I’ve knocked out the current nexts.” Every few days, I find myself going through my “Next” list and moving a bunch of stuff to “Later” so the Next list is far less repellant!
Yes, I do the same in Nirvana. I use the later list for things I will definitely do but just not as soon as I can - over the next few weeks. I use someday/maybe for things more long-term down the line and things that I have not committed to yet and therefore are really someday/maybe

clango

Registered
I play with the four boxes.
Inbox and Someday to collect. Next where I move the tasks I choose as options during the weekly review and Focus where every day I choose what it’s important to do exactly that day.

memuneh

Registered
Glad to see this. I'm playing around with Nirvana right now to see if it will be my replacement for Omnifocus.

Question for the pros: Can you assign a TIME on a due date? Right now I just see that you can assign a date, but I'm only testing it out with the trial version.

Thanks!

Longstreet

Glad to see this. I'm playing around with Nirvana right now to see if it will be my replacement for Omnifocus.

Question for the pros: Can you assign a TIME on a due date? Right now I just see that you can assign a date, but I'm only testing it out with the trial version.

Thanks!
No, you cannot assign a time - just the date.

Longstreet

SimmonSydney

Registered
Yes, I do the same in Nirvana. I use the later list for things I will definitely do but just not as soon as I can - over the next few weeks. I use someday/maybe for things more long-term down the line and things that I have not committed to yet and therefore are really someday/maybe
You know what I never thought of using the LATER function. I turned it off because its not a true GTD thing. So I have a someday weekly list. Which I won't need !!!

I'm going to change it now

Longstreet

You know what I never thought of using the LATER function. I turned it off because its not a true GTD thing. So I have a someday weekly list. Which I won't need !!!

I'm going to change it now
I love the Later functions as a place to put active projects on hold for a while. I see this better than just moving to Someday/Maybe.