Nirvana Setup Guide

SimmonSydney

Registered
I love the Later functions as a place to put active projects on hold for a while. I see this better than just moving to Someday/Maybe.

@Longstreet do you use the tags for contexts like the setup guide ?

At the moment I have my project section as contexts because when you click the NEXT tab, you see all your next actions with context (project) headings. Then I have my project list in Evernote

I was thinking that that was easier because I use the mobile app a lot more than desktop. In the desktop version (which the setup guide displays) you can just click the labels at the top which is easy, but in the mobile version you have to got to the filter section and then filter by the label, and then unfilter and refilter by label again to see the next context

What works best for you

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
@Longstreet do you use the tags for contexts like the setup guide ?

At the moment I have my project section as contexts because when you click the NEXT tab, you see all your next actions with context (project) headings. Then I have my project list in Evernote

I was thinking that that was easier because I use the mobile app a lot more than desktop. In the desktop version (which the setup guide displays) you can just click the labels at the top which is easy, but in the mobile version you have to got to the filter section and then filter by the label, and then unfilter and refilter by label again to see the next context

What works best for you
Yes, I use the standard setup in Nirvana. Contexts are the least important to my workflow - I focus mainly on the project level - so I do not engage them very often. Just the nature of my work. I also am predominantly working from the web app.

SimmonSydney

Registered
Yes, I use the standard setup in Nirvana. Contexts are the least important to my workflow - I focus mainly on the project level - so I do not engage them very often. Just the nature of my work. I also am predominantly working from the web app.
Thanks @Longstreet

I have now had a play with Both and being on the road a lot, I have found my version seems to work well. And works much better on mobile devices when you are in a hurry between customers. I found it clunky to go into the list, and then hit filter, and then turn the filter off to go to the next context etc... Thought I would share with everyone if it helps.

I am in sales and am road based. have been using Evernote for my projects, and Nirvana for Pure List management.

By using PROJECTS in Nirvana as context (instead of the setup guide method of using labels), clicking your NEXT TAB, gives you an easy to read view like the below screenshot. And your starred or due today ones show with a handy red square.

upload_2019-1-21_14-20-34.png

Then if you scan your list in the Morning and star some "Want to do's" for the day, your focus list then looks like a much more manageable system as per below :

upload_2019-1-21_14-23-10.png

This method obviously does not allow for the tags section that @kelstarrising mentions in the setup guide, however for me, I like to see all my choices first anyway, because i like to have MORE contexts lists containing FEWER options.

And then if I have a window of opportunity and want to work purely by context, if you click the PROJECT tab it gives you this :

upload_2019-1-21_14-25-24.png

Here are you context lists (clickable just like if you had a "TAG") and how many actions in each.

Works for me.

Everyone will obviously be different, but just thought I would share an alternative if anyone wants to try it.

Longstreet

Thanks @Longstreet

I have now had a play with Both and being on the road a lot, I have found my version seems to work well. And works much better on mobile devices when you are in a hurry between customers. I found it clunky to go into the list, and then hit filter, and then turn the filter off to go to the next context etc... Thought I would share with everyone if it helps.

I am in sales and am road based. have been using Evernote for my projects, and Nirvana for Pure List management.

By using PROJECTS in Nirvana as context (instead of the setup guide method of using labels), clicking your NEXT TAB, gives you an easy to read view like the below screenshot. And your starred or due today ones show with a handy red square.

View attachment 329

Then if you scan your list in the Morning and star some "Want to do's" for the day, your focus list then looks like a much more manageable system as per below :

View attachment 330

This method obviously does not allow for the tags section that @kelstarrising mentions in the setup guide, however for me, I like to see all my choices first anyway, because i like to have MORE contexts lists containing FEWER options.

And then if I have a window of opportunity and want to work purely by context, if you click the PROJECT tab it gives you this :

View attachment 331

Here are you context lists (clickable just like if you had a "TAG") and how many actions in each.

Works for me.

Everyone will obviously be different, but just thought I would share an alternative if anyone wants to try it.
This, actually, is pretty cool!

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
Last weekend, I switched from Outlook to Nirvana using the setup guide. I like it so far, but I still have some “issues” maybe some of the more seasoned users can help me with?

- the guide suggests to rename Someone to . but when you then create a new waiting for, Someone’s back (also happened to Kelly in her tool video). Is there a way to get the default to change permanently?

- I’m a keyboard-focused person so first having to select the right contact from the list in a waiting for with my mouse is extra effort. I tried adding the Contact to the tags field, but this seems to just use it as a tag and not as a contact (which is still Someone). Is there a way to set the right contact with keyboard alone in a waiting for?

- I’ve set up Areas to correspond with my major roles (management, project development, project execution, personal). When I add a next action under a project, it automatically gets all parent tags as well, but when I add one under Next I have to add it manually unless I link it to a project, right? This is something for me to keep an eye on, because it’s one of these things one has to be done consistently to work.

- I have over 100 projects (also including something called “On watch”) with quite descriptive (long) names. When I add a next action, and I want to have it linked to a project, I either need to find the project and add a next action under there, or have to scroll through a huge list. Is there a better way to find the right project for linking from the next action view?

Thanks!

Longstreet

Last weekend, I switched from Outlook to Nirvana using the setup guide. I like it so far, but I still have some “issues” maybe some of the more seasoned users can help me with?

- the guide suggests to rename Someone to . but when you then create a new waiting for, Someone’s back (also happened to Kelly in her tool video). Is there a way to get the default to change permanently?

- I’m a keyboard-focused person so first having to select the right contact from the list in a waiting for with my mouse is extra effort. I tried adding the Contact to the tags field, but this seems to just use it as a tag and not as a contact (which is still Someone). Is there a way to set the right contact with keyboard alone in a waiting for?

- I’ve set up Areas to correspond with my major roles (management, project development, project execution, personal). When I add a next action under a project, it automatically gets all parent tags as well, but when I add one under Next I have to add it manually unless I link it to a project, right? This is something for me to keep an eye on, because it’s one of these things one has to be done consistently to work.

- I have over 100 projects (also including something called “On watch”) with quite descriptive (long) names. When I add a next action, and I want to have it linked to a project, I either need to find the project and add a next action under there, or have to scroll through a huge list. Is there a better way to find the right project for linking from the next action view?

Thanks!
I will try to answer your questions. As for the first one, unfortunately, I am the opposite and very mouse-driven. I don't think you can add contacts strictly from the keyboard, but I just don't know. For your second question, when you are adding the action, the default you see is standalone. If you click on that, one of the options is active projects. Now you should see a list of all of your active projects and you can easily find the one you want and click on it. Again, this is all mouse-driven. I think the only way is to scroll.

Here is a link to their help pages that have a lot of useful information.

http://help.nirvanahq.com/category/quick-guide/
http://help.nirvanahq.com/

sholden

Registered
Under my Name in Nirvana on my Chromebook there is a Keyboard Shortcut help guide.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 15.04.41.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 15.04.41.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 22