NLP

C

CosmoGTD

PS:
another thing i experienced in the NLP community is the reactive emotional defensiveness, and inability to deal with critical thought applied to its techniques.

Even Bandler was like this.
If you ask him about when it doesn't work, or where the independent studies are, he would just get reactive and upset, say something like "you should focus on where it does work, and not where it doesn't".

What a lot of folks in NLP don't seem to understand, is that they should be the first to criticize their own work, and do the objective tests to sort the wheat from the chaff. This has not been done.

Instead of embacing critical thought being applied to NLP, the NLPers often just get defensive and reactive.

In my view, this goes back right to errors in NLP's foundations.
I think it also might be due to the lack of scientific training of many of the NLP folks. Instead of becoming a bit more objective about their "theories and techniques", and trying to figure out what works, and what does not work, and why, they often will just dismiss potentially valid criticism of the theory and techniques.

The more i think about this, the more i THINK this is due to the lack of scientific training of most of the folks involved in NLP.
There was no one guiding NLP, and trying to do proper studies to see what works, and what doesn't work.

Also, you have one of the founders (Bandler) trying to sue everyone in the world a while ago, and fighting over the very foundational ideas of NLP itself.

Scott_L_Lewis

Registered
Howard Gardner

CosmoGTD said:
PS:
It makes me think of what Howard Gardner has had to say about what it takes to successfully create a new Field of knowledge.

Coz

OK, I'll bite. What did Howard Gardner have to say abot what it takes to successfully create a new field of knowledge?

A

Anonymous

I'm interetsed in this subject ... but ....

I wonder how many debates like this about NLP prevent people from getting things done!!! I don't see much by way of NLP skills being exhibited in this tread.

Seems to me that the threads are like ping-pong .... :roll:

I'm not sure if NLP as an abstratction is good thing or not. I'm not sure if politicians are a good thing either.

I do agree that there various types people who 'sell' something they call NLP - there seems to be a variety of brands. NLP for therapists, NLP for sales sharks, NLP for peace!

I also see politicians who 'sell' something they call democracy - there seems to be a variety of brands here too. Democracy for helping-others, democracy for self-gain, democracy for war!

Since NLP is supposed to be about behaviourally modelling (I think someone in this thread said that) the best thinking, I'd like to challenge us to engage in a dialogue here ... not a ping-pong discussion.

What this means for me is getting deeper into understanding where people are coming from and then developing it into something useful.

Thanks, but no thanks - I don't want people to tell me "don't do this" or "do this" ... What I want to see is some real examples of where NLP has helped or hindered people's development. Then I'll make up my own mind.

CosmoGTD said:
another thing i experienced in the NLP community is the reactive emotional defensiveness, and inability to deal with critical thought applied to its techniques.
There are similar phenomenons here in Germany. One of them is Juergen Hoeller, a guy who surfed on the NLP-wave for years, made a lot of money and had to go to jail, because some of his business partners wanted their money back. The main explanation he gives for his failure is that the newspapers were against him. Now he is back in business as "the new star among the motivational trainers". Still he shows no dealing with critical thoughts.

Rainer