• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Office 365 Tasks - how to link with a project?

andy2020

Registered
I have a home Office 365 license and am trying to get GTD running on it. I would love to use Microsoft Planner but unfortunately one cannot add that to Home Licenses.

Consequently I am looking to use Tasks and manage them in Outlook and To Do. There has been much discussion here about these tools, however nothing seems to address the particular problem I have:

How to link a Project with a Task?

Separate lists for a project soon becomes unmanageable. Similarly using hashtags is not ideal as its a little awkward.

I was hoping for any suggestions for what people do?

Thanks
 
I know you said Hashtags In Microsoft To Do are awkward but here is how I use them. I have client numbers so for example I have #1037 in front of every task ie the project or the next action etc for that client . I also have a list called Hashtags. If I scroll to the client on the Hashtag list and click on the client number, in this case for example #1037 it will list all of the items with the #1037 in front of it (or if you are in any list and click on the hashtag you want it will bring up the list too. I just have the hashtag list because it is quicker for me). Under the task details it shows what list it is on i.e projects or the Next Actions or @computer or Agenda or whatever you have named your lists. So I can track all the items relating to this client quickly. If it is a big project I may also have something like #1037ProjectA. (Make sure there are no spaces after the hashtag unless you don't want it include in the search. It also remembers them so if I type #1037P into a new task it will bring up say A B or C and I can select the one I want instead of remembering what I named it). This is also another reason for the Hashtag list, I set it up there first and then it pops up as I type so I can select the one I want for consistency. I also have the Hashtag list at the top of the page so I can get to it quickly Hope this helps.
 
Top