• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Palm Address out on paper?

As part of a backup of my GTD system which is mostly Mac Palm Desktop based I want to have a hard copy of the addresses and all the associated notes as a backup in case either my computer or Treo dies.

I can print the base data but can't get the notes that I've attached to my contacts to print. I seem to remember I was able to do that in a previous version of Palm Desktop but the Palm forums are less than helpful.

Does anyone here know how to get that done?
 
I am using Palm Desktop by ACCESS 6.2.2 on a Lenovo X300 laptop. When I print (mostly to PDF using PDF Factory) the address book, the notes print.

rdgeorge
 
rdgeorge;60263 said:
I am using Palm Desktop by ACCESS 6.2.2 on a Lenovo X300 laptop. When I print (mostly to PDF using PDF Factory) the address book, the notes print.

rdgeorge

Confused here. Palm Desktop is by Palm as far as I know and I've never heard of a Lenovo laptop. What operating system is it under? I need a Mac OS X solution
 
Lenovo purchased the ThinkPad line of laptops from IBM. Mine runs Windows XP, but you should be able to download a Mac version of the Palm Access Desktop software from the Palm website.
 
Missing Sync

Oogiem;60268 said:
I need a Mac OS X solution

I sync my Treo with my MacBook using Missing Sync. There's a setting in the Address Book where I can select what to include in the print out, "Note" is one of them.

I don't have Palm Desktop installed on the Mac so can't help you there.
 
rdgeorge;60359 said:
you should be able to download a Mac version of the Palm Access Desktop software from the Palm website.

Nope, the only Mac version avail. is the one I already have, that I can't figure out how to print attached comments in.
 
petdr;60369 said:
I sync my Treo with my MacBook using Missing Sync. There's a setting in the Address Book where I can select what to include in the print out, "Note" is one of them.

OK I've looked at Missing Synch, but it only replaces the synch conduits.

I also have problems with missing synch causing errors and crashing but that's probably a sw conflict that might be fixable if I could see how to get the rest of it to work.

The big issue for me replacing the Palm Desktop is I do a hard copy backup of my calendar and Apple's iCal can't do the printouts I require. I also run into problems memo files because I have thousands and there is no clean way to use/edit and manage them on the Mac side short of Pal Desktop.

I'm playing with Yojimbo but so far it's hard slogging through it to try to get it t do what the standard palm stuff does easily.

There are just a few features the Palm stuff is either missing or has lost in later versions.

I sure wish Palm would get their act together and do an update!
 
Oogiem;60376 said:
OK I've looked at Missing Synch, but it only replaces the synch conduits.
I am not sure what you mean by that. Missing Sync does replace the sync conduits --- and allow you to have your contacts, calendar, notes backed onto your Mac. Just like Palm Desktop except better ;) . You can even sync your photos and media if you're so inclined.

Oogiem;60376 said:
I also have problems with missing synch causing errors and crashing but that's probably a sw conflict that might be fixable if I could see how to get the rest of it to work.
You can try going to the conduits and select one of it at a time to sync to see which one is crashing. There's some info at their website. I think there used to be a conflict with calendar or certain feature that caused a crash. I have not looked into it since I don't use iCal and disabled that sync setting.

Oogiem;60376 said:
The big issue for me replacing the Palm Desktop is I do a hard copy backup of my calendar and Apple's iCal can't do the printouts I require. I also run into problems memo files because I have thousands and there is no clean way to use/edit and manage them on the Mac side short of Pal Desktop
Don't know about iCal since I don't use it.
As for memos, all my memos are sync'd to Missing Sync Notebook and can be printed.

Oogiem;60376 said:
I sure wish Palm would get their act together and do an update!
Unfortunately, I think being Mac-friendly was never Palm's priority :( hence third party option like Missing Sync.
 
Top