Pocket PC Reliable?

remyc88

Registered
I'm a long time Palm user, however, I'm thinking of moving over to the Pocket PC platform.

When I first considered Palm vs. Pocket PC (this was 4 years ago) there was a lot of talk about how Pocket PC would crash and often wipe out all the data.

And since I am a GTD user, not having my "information" on hand would be very, very bad :lol:

I use my Palm very regularly. I often pull it out every half hour or so (I'm not always in the office. Also, on business trips, I often don't have access to my PC to sync, so I need device to be very reliable).

Anyway, what do you Pocket PC users say about the reliability of your device?

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I have been a Pocket PC User since Jan 2002 and have never lost any data (excpt for the first couple of days where I didn't know that if you allowed the unit to completely discharge you could lose everything - Psion 5x's which is where I was coming from weren't like that). This is also true of the Palm that I have.

I have been really happy with the Pocket PC platform and for the most part find it pretty stable. I do need to do the odd soft-reset (no loss of data in such cases) but this is mostly related to add-on apps, not vanilla Pocket PC.

Paul

Tspall

Registered
I used to use a Pocket PC and have never had a situation where I lost everything on it. It was very stable, with very little issues with the hardware at all.

Once in a while I would do a hard reset just to clear it out and purge old programs, but I knew my information was backed up to be synced. I thought of it like the occasional hard drive format.

remyc88

Registered
thanks for the replies. I'm reallly considering one now...

Another question to those that use Pocket PC, I read that Folders do not sync over, so I'm assuming you ppl use Categories instead right?

alsa

Registered
I implore you to stay with Palm OS. Even though Clie might be dead, the new Palm OS 6 and new devices from Palm should up the ante. In addition, Palm OS's screen resolution is better and thus the pictures are prettier. What would be one good advantage of a Pocket PC?

TesTeq

Registered
OS screen resolution.

alsa,
You wrote that:
Palm OS's screen resolution is better and thus the pictures are prettier.
This statement is false.
1) Operating System (Palm OS) cannot have the screen resolution. It can support some screen resolutions but you cannot say it "has" the screen resolution.
2) As far as I know T3 device has 320 x 480 screen resolution while the newest PocketPC devices have VGA (480 x 640) screen resolution.
TesTeq (Palm Tungsten E very happy :D user)

M

mochant

TesTeq is right

There is nothing inherently "better" about a Palm display. Each platform has its advantages - it really depends on what ou'll be using the PDA for. I've used Palm devices for years but am currently using a Pocket PC device. I've gotten a lot of value from both. There are good apps on both platforms for GTD.

The real value in a PDA is how rigorously you use it. Any PDA can be nothing more than a paperweight if you aren't disciplined about keeping it up-to-date with your primary environment.

Platform "wars" are pretty boring IMO. Try to spend some time demo-ing each and see which feels better to you. That's the only way to really decide.

Elena

Registered
remyc88 said:
thanks for the replies. I'm reallly considering one now...

Another question to those that use Pocket PC, I read that Folders do not sync over, so I'm assuming you ppl use Categories instead right?

I use a Pocket PC and sync with my desktop using Microsoft ActiveSync.

As long as any folder is inside the folder ActiveSync makes on my desktop computer, it will sync over. It's just a matter of setting a program to use that location.

I use it for ebooks, lists, spreadsheets, docs, music, etc.

HTH,
Elena in Tx

remyc88

Registered
thanks for all the help!

Personally I have no real preference between Palm OS and Windows Mobile...

the main compelling factor (why I'm thinking of switching) is simply the hardware. I currently own a SONY SJ22 and I'm thinking of upgrading. There just seems to be so many choices w/ Pocket PC.

But ultimately I need reliability. I need to be able to go weeks on end w/o syncing (that's an exaggeration, but you get the point :) ) I'm going to R&D more but I am very swayed to switch......

A

Anonymous

I use a Pocket PC anf have no reliabiity issues whatsoever. And it works great with GTD!

TesTeq

Registered
Unreliable PDAs.

My friend uses PocketPC PDA/mobile phone combination and has to hard reset it twice per month on average. Besides he has to be very careful during battery charger disconnection - when done with wrong timing may cause data loss.
I have never experienced such problems with Palms with operating system version less than 5.0. But unfortunately Palm extends its OS and some modules in PalmOS >5.0 were not tested appropriately and required patches.
TesTeq

M

mochant

Be careful about letting a PPC totally discharge

This is a failing of PPC devices. My solution is to regularly create a backup on a memory card. My Toshiba e740 has both a CF and a SD slot. It takes about two minutes and I do it as part of regular PC backup routine.

I've only had this happen once and was able to immediately restore from my CF card.

Never underestimate the value of a good, regular backup of all of your devices. Hardware is relatively easy to replace. Your data is priceless.

TesTeq

Registered
About backup.

mochant wrote:
Never underestimate the value of a good, regular backup of all of your devices.
Backup must be regular and GOOD. You have to take into account that the media you use for backup may be unreliable too. So you need at least two CF disks and make backups on both of them using some clever policy. Some time ago I was incrementally backuping my desktop computer on one CDR but suddenly it became unreadable :( . Fortunately the desktop computer was OK :D .
So always MAKE GOOD, REGULAR BACKUPS!
TesTeq

J

JonathanAquino

alsa said:
I implore you to stay with Palm OS. Even though Clie might be dead, the new Palm OS 6 and new devices from Palm should up the ante. In addition, Palm OS's screen resolution is better and thus the pictures are prettier. What would be one good advantage of a Pocket PC?

Big reason I'm getting a Pocket PC now that my Palm is dead: there are no reliable low-cost Palms at the moment. The Zire 72 and Tungsten E are getting bad reliability reviews at amazon.com (several complaints about them dying after 8 months). And the best Palms - Sony Clie's - are no longer being manufactured.

Whereas on the Pocket PC side, we have the Dell Axim X30 which has been getting illustrious reviews and is in the same price range. (Can't wait until mine arrives - it's got WiFi and Bluetooth!!)

TesTeq

Registered
Stable Nokia Series 60.

The problem with PocketPCs is a relatively unstable operating system.
Unfortunately PalmOS is being enhanced too fast so it becomes unstable too.
Currently I'm switching to Symbian platform (Nokia Series 60 pda/phone). It seems to be stable and reliable. With a bluetooth keyboard it is a very efficient nanobook (my term for very very small computer with standard keyboard). There is no direct GTD support but I'm testing different software setups.
TesTeq

webagogue

Registered
Unstable? Come on.

I have been using PocketPCs for the past six years and am currently using an iPAQ 4155 with WM 2003.

Since my first device, I have never noticed the PPC OS to be "relatively unstable." It is a solid OS. Using the core apps with Agenda Fusion (I prefer it to Pocket Informant) I have experienced few lockups/crashes/resets. Until recently, WiFi was a bit flakey, but an update cleared that up.

Bad applications are usually to blame for instability and MS makes is pretty easy for anyone to write apps - so anyone usually does, regardless of programming prowess.

And come on... save the Treo, the iPaq 415x series is the best PDA out there. :wink:

TesTeq

Registered
Re: Unstable? Come on.

webagogue said:
I have been using PocketPCs for the past six years and am currently using an iPAQ 4155 with WM 2003.

Since my first device, I have never noticed the PPC OS to be "relatively unstable." It is a solid OS. Using the core apps with Agenda Fusion (I prefer it to Pocket Informant) I have experienced few lockups/crashes/resets. Until recently, WiFi was a bit flakey, but an update cleared that up.

Bad applications are usually to blame for instability and MS makes is pretty easy for anyone to write apps - so anyone usually does, regardless of programming prowess.

And come on... save the Treo, the iPaq 415x series is the best PDA out there. :wink:
OK. So you say stable and I say unstable. Fifty/fifty result. 50% customer satisfaction. Not the best result :( .
TesTeq

M

mobilejarhead

webagogue,

I disagree, I don't think the PocketPC OS is unstable. I have never really had a problem with it and I have been using a PocketPC PDA for 3 years. What types of things are "unstable"?

I used a Palm OS PDA for some time before my PocketPC and I seen just as many problems. I think most problems today are hardware incompatibilities and not the OS.

I must agree though, I like the Symbian platform too. It has some great potential. There are some draw backs, but in the end, if you can deal with an even smaller screen footprint than a PDA, then Symbian would be a great choice.

pswets

Registered
I also find the pocket pc os (WM 2003 v1, for me right now) to be at least as stable as windows on my pcs (running xp home, at home, when I run windows, and windows 2000 at work, because I must). Of course, windows of any flavor is, in my experience, less stable than open source os's like linux, but so far linux for ppcs is limited at best. I also don't find the new pocket pc os any less reliable than the palm os I ran a couple of years ago.