Pocket PC Reliable?

webagogue

Registered
mobilejarhead said:
webagogue,

I disagree, I don't think the PocketPC OS is unstable. I have never really had a problem with it and I have been using a PocketPC PDA for 3 years. What types of things are "unstable"?

You're arguing with the wrong person. I like the PPC OS (not a raving fan, it just works for me so far). Testeq believes it is unstable, not me.

A

Anonymous

I use a Tungsten T3 right now but had used the PPC for years. It has improved considerably and should be no problem for those wishing to implement GTD.

TesTeq

Registered
Symbian is not a smaller screen footprint operating system.

mobilejarhead said:
I must agree though, I like the Symbian platform too. It has some great potential. There are some draw backs, but in the end, if you can deal with an even smaller screen footprint than a PDA, then Symbian would be a great choice.
Symbian is not a smaller screen footprint operating system. There are 4 different Symbian platforms with different screen footprint:
Series 90 - 640x320 screen resolution + touch screen;
Series 80 - 640x200 screen resolution + QWERTY keyboard (Nokia Communicator);
Series 60 - 176x208 screen resolution + telephone keypad + QWERTY Bluetooth keyboard;
Series 40 - 176x208 screen resolution + telephone keypad.
TesTeq

M

Mike Ferguson

I'm set up like webagogue, iPAQ with Agenda Fusion. I'm not having any problems and enjoy the iPAQ very much. But this is my first palm sized PDA, so I have nothing to compare it to.

There was that time I deleted all my tasks, but that was user error.

M

mobilejarhead

Re: Symbian is not a smaller screen footprint operating syst

Sorry webagogue, my fault...

TesTeq said:
Symbian is not a smaller screen footprint operating system. There are 4 different Symbian platforms with different screen footprint:
Series 90 - 640x320 screen resolution + touch screen;
Series 80 - 640x200 screen resolution + QWERTY keyboard (Nokia Communicator);
Series 60 - 176x208 screen resolution + telephone keypad + QWERTY Bluetooth keyboard;
Series 40 - 176x208 screen resolution + telephone keypad.
TesTeq

Your right TesTeq, there are many resolutions for the Symbian OS. But I would argue the most commonly used version would be Series 60 in mobile handsets. Therefore, the screen is smaller than a typical PocketPC PDA, and in my opinion, too small for most applications.

Even SmartPhones using Windows Mobile have a screen size that isn't all that desirable. I guess depending on your needs you could get away with a total mobile handset solution.

Still, I don't see the PocketPC platform being any more unstable than any other mobile OS on the market. We both could probably post a laundry list of pros and cons. Everyone has their own feelings. A lot of people in these forums purchase the Palm PDA because David suggests it, without even knowing or caring about other options.

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I will throw in another endorsement for the Pocket PC platform being stable. I am on my second Ipaq now and have been using PPC since Jan 2002. I have to do soft re-sets now and again - mostly when I am doing web surfing at home using a Wirless CF card. Never had any real issues with Activesync either.

Paul

TesTeq

Registered
Re: Symbian is not a smaller screen footprint operating syst

mobilejarhead said:
Your right TesTeq, there are many resolutions for the Symbian OS. But I would argue the most commonly used version would be Series 60 in mobile handsets. Therefore, the screen is smaller than a typical PocketPC PDA, and in my opinion, too small for most applications.
As far as I know the scalable user interface was announced for Symbian Series 60 platform with different screen resolutions.
Correction:
Series 40b - 128x128 screen resolution + telephone keypad.
Up to version 3.5 PalmOS was extraordinarily stable. But growing complexity, new functionality (connectivity and multimedia) and short development schedules influence the software quality :( .
TesTeq