Pomodoro timer app recommendation

rmjb

Registered
I learned about the pomodoro technique from this forum and never really had a use for it. I've gone back to school after 20 years and need a technique to optimize my study time, so I want to try it.
Can anyone recommend a pomodoro timer app for Android?

A bunch of us at work have recently started using Forest.

Peter

Last edited:

mcogilvie

Registered
I‘m on iOS, not Android, but I don’t perceive that much difference between Pomodoro apps in basic functionality. There is significant variation in cost. The cost is slightly correlated with “advanced” functionality, which is not part of GTD or the Pomodoro idea. I would start with something simple, and low-cost or free.

RuthMcT

Registered
I learned about the pomodoro technique from this forum and never really had a use for it. I've gone back to school after 20 years and need a technique to optimize my study time, so I want to try it.
Can anyone recommend a pomodoro timer app for Android?
I think it depends how fancy you want it to be. I use the Samsung timer/alarm that was already on my phone. I just set the timer for 25 minutes and go, repeating as necessary.

Murray

Registered
I think it depends how fancy you want it to be. I use the Samsung timer/alarm that was already on my phone. I just set the timer for 25 minutes and go, repeating as necessary.
If you really want to get into the Pomodoro productivity 'zone' then it might help to have a timer that will automatically alternate between the longer work period and the shorter rest period.

bidenpriece

Registered
Best Pomodoro apps to try out
  1. PomoDone (Web, Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android) PomoDone Desktop App. ...
  2. Focus Booster (Web, Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) Focus Booster Mobile App. ...
  3. Focus Keeper (iOS) Focus Keeper tracker and chart views. ... workforce software monday
  4. Focus To-Do: Pomodoro Timer & To Do List (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) ...
  5. Marinara Timer (Web)

Last edited:

rmjb

Registered
I ended up trying Minimalist Pomodoro Timer - Goodtime Productivity for my Android phone. It worked very well.

Using the Pomodoro technique really helped with studies. The shorter stints made it easier to focus deeper during the stint, knowing the next break was less than 25 minutes away means I should make the most of this time.
The breaks were also a good reminder to stand and help my ergonomics and circulation.
The longer break after every 4 "pomodoros" were also a good time to maybe stop for lunch or a longer activity... I didn't always break for the 15 minutes as strictly recommended. Note, the app had this longer break disabled by default, but it was simple to activate it.
The regular breaks also kept pace and progress top of mind; prior to this I might "surface" after 2 - 3 hours only to that realise I didn't make the progress I intended.

Overall, the process helped with focus and pacing. Both things I wanted to improve in my studies.

John Ismyname

Registered
The timer I have found best is also the cheapest. I bought three dollar store timers for a total of $3. I clipped them all onto a small piece of cardboard. Time one is your worktime - set to 25 minutes. Timer two is your breaktime - 5 mintes. Timer three is for your GTD 'two minute rule' - 2 minutes. I find the software/ap timers do not work as well for me in maintaining my "psychological contract" to my Pomedaros

Murray

Registered
I bought three dollar store timers for a total of $3. I clipped them all onto a small piece of cardboard. Time one is your worktime - set to 25 minutes. Timer two is your breaktime - 5 mintes. Timer three is for your GTD 'two minute rule' - 2 minutes.
I love it! I believe I have heard David Allen talk about our desk or virtual workspaces as being like a 'cockpit'... you've literally installed an instrument panel. Very cool.