Problems I feel like I have with weekly review checklist links to my cognitive impairment with neurodegeneration ' SV

1723406642702.png

"share picture of quote of weekly review asana guides advice heading - feel i don't fully understand the steps and offer alternative to problems capturing?

M users @cfoley or even @Mrs-Polifax N @Livtally .

erm please see image attached here

-I was having words that *"while trying to do my weekly review"* - on this page I actually maybe never full understood this "get clear" heading.
Like the difference between "get 'in' to zero (just clarifying - what paper in my bedroom, then journal (don't use a A5 journal anymore), don't go to meetings or have voice mails, dictation could mean anything (anything which is loose) - e-mails yeah, that's main thing on that heading

I searched "getting things done get in to zero" and don't really see anything come up but "get inbox to zero, which is something I looked at before :( "

Then step 3 - emptying your head:
says "clarify any uncaptured projects/items etc

Links to problem I felt like had doing mind sweep in the past (to do this you need awareness, but someone/persons with autism
or AD-HD - is exactly what is a problem)

I would greatly appreciate it if users tagged here - could try there best to reply here there views/takes on my points trying to express here

This step here could be linked to mind sweep?

WRITTEN IN ABOUT FIFTEEN MINUTES

If this gets feed back I may also write points of get current?

: l

Getting in to zero means going through each item in your inbox one a at a time, and clarifying it and organising it. This is the habit that I was encouraging you to develop a while ago. In GTD, it is something that you should do regularly and it appears in the weekly review too.

Step 3 is a chance to check in with yourself. If anything is on your mind that is not already in your GTD system, you should capture, clarify and organise it. There are many weeks where I do not have anything to do in this step because everything is already in my system.

Getting in to zero means going through each item in your inbox one a at a time, and clarifying it and organising it.
Oh right? like using the GTD workflow processing diagram ?
This is the habit that I was encouraging you to develop a while ago. In GTD, it is something that you should do regularly and it appears in the weekly review too.
When did you say to do this before? I have short term memory impairment
Okay - I could try to do it from now, this moment in time?
Step 3 is a chance to check in with yourself.
Like items not in your inbox - but in your mind?
If anything is on your mind that is not already in your GTD system, you should capture, clarify and organise it.
Yes on your mind.
There are many weeks where I do not have anything to do in this step because everything is already in my system.
I am not organized like you

:( or :[

When did you say to do this before? I have short term memory impairment

I think most my answers to your threads over the last couple of months mention it in some form. You have mentioned your short-term memory impairment before so I don't expect you to remember my advice. I know that you are working hard on building up your system, so I am happy to repeat this advice from time to time.

I am not organized like you

Thanks for the compliment. I try to stick to the basics of GTD without adding any frills. Please don't assume that anyone on the forum is perfect at doing GTD though. We are all just trying our best and trying to help each other get better.

I think most my answers to your threads over the last couple of months mention it in some form. You have mentioned your short-term memory impairment before so I don't expect you to remember my advice. I know that you are working hard on building up your system, so I am happy to repeat this advice from time to time.
Okay.
Thanks for the compliment. I try to stick to the basics of GTD without adding any frills. Please don't assume that anyone on the forum is perfect at doing GTD though. We are all just trying our best and trying to help each other get better.
I don't know exactly what your GTD system is.

It repeats that you gave me advice like "stick with Asana"
But myself start having idea for example - why not try ever note list manager?
Or just do a new mind sweep from scratch with concepts I could try to implement from @Dave Edwards videos?s

I don't know exactly what your GTD system is.

The things I use for my GTD system are:

- A bamboo in tray.
- An email inbox.
- Paper squares for capturing at my desk.
- Braintoss for capturing on the go.
- Notebooks to write lists in.
- Paper folders in a plastic box for reference.
- Paper folders in a wire frame for action support.
- Obsidian for reference and action support.
- Alphabetical folders for things that don't belong in Obsidian.
- Stationary (mechanical pencil, metal ruler, label maker, sticky tabs, fineliners, scissors)

Any of those components could be replaced for an equivalent that does the same job. What really makes my system is the habits I have built up.

It repeats that you gave me advice like "stick with Asana"
But myself start having idea for example - why not try ever note list manager?
Or just do a new mind sweep from scratch with concepts I could try to implement from @Dave Edwards videos?s

You could change to a different list manager but that would not help you to learn the habits that make up GTD. If you find Asana difficult to use, then by all means change to something else.

- A bamboo in tray.
- An email inbox.

i've never herd/seen this before? but made previous thread about making 3 origami paper storage boxes in my room when I was fasting
I could try that also?
I also use notebooks
I gave obsidian a quick look over before
- Stationary (mechanical pencil, metal ruler, label maker, sticky tabs, fineliners, scissors)
I don't have metal ruler , or lab- I have cheap stick labels (are they stick tabs?)
Any of those components could be replaced for an equivalent that does the same job. What really makes my system is the habits I have built up.
Okay
You could change to a different list manager but that would not help you to learn the habits that make up GTD. If you find Asana difficult to use, then by all means change to something else.
I with my heart or inution (intuition)
I have words - I should either try to improve with asana - for example maybe do something use the popular in depth Asana fourm or resources

or change to something else "

# The post above was more visually appealing, better presented by yourself Cfoley#

I don't have metal ruler , or lab- I have cheap stick labels (are they stick tabs?)

That's OK. It wasn't supposed to be a shopping list. I was hoping that it would show that there is a wide variety of tools you can use.

# The post above was more visually appealing, better presented by yourself Cfoley#

Thanks. I try to make make my posts short, clear, helpful and kind. Part of being clear is paying attention to the layout.

I've noticed this, @cfoley. I appreciate your gentle guidance, respect, and kindness.

Emily

This is first time you have left a post for me in a while Emily

erm - alots happened
EIGHT

- one of ideas I said for example

"cos in my memory said I have difficulties reading the GTD book daily as you suggested

then realised something : (the reason for that is cos I don't feel motivated to do it?)

so if I am going force myself to read it - its easier do it periods where I actually feel like I have less energy during the day (going through a ciradian response - what do you thing about that? "

EIGHT

- A bamboo in tray.
- An email inbox.

'I can try using obsidian again '

I'd take that GTD Weekly Review and customize it to make it your own. Everybody has their own needs.

For example:

In the "Get Clear" stage, list out all the inboxes I have to go through. Try to reduce the number of inboxes to simplify. Keep one physical in-tray for paper items that get accumulated. Reduce the number of apps used to capture thoughts and ideas.

In the "Get Current" stage, write down all the lists that needs to be reviewed. Use this as a checklist to make sure any list isn't ignored.

In each phase, customize it to fit you.

I've also taken to breaking up my reviews.

I have a daily startup to check my email and DM inboxes to see if anything popped up overnight. I capture important emails into my task manager. I check my calendar to remind myself of today's appointments. I'll list down all the things I'll need to have on hand before going to each appointment (lab work forms and health insurance card for doctor appointments, agenda/meeting minutes for a staff meeting, etc).

I have a daily shutdown routine that allows me to check any emails/direct messages that came in today, process any new inbox items in my task manager, review tomorrow's schedule to see if I need to get other materials ready, check on any follow-ups and waiting-for's that I missed today, and update my task manager by marking as complete any tasks that I worked on today and reviewing any lists that changed today.

I have a weekly review on Friday that allows me to preview next week's schedule to prepare for the events that will occur in the next 7 days. I can choose 2-3 Big Rock projects that I want to focus on next week. I want to make progress in any projects that aren't a part of my daily administrative work.

I have a monthly review to look at all my projects to see which projects can get mothballed, get activated, or get delegated to someone else.

The GTD weekly review is a great starting point. But some things needs to be checked on a different time cycle: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually.

I would suggest making a GTD review workflow that will fit you. Customize it. Break it down to the smallest next action (check Outlook Inbox, check physical in-tray on my desk). You'll find some things that you were reviewing didn't really need to be reviewed as often or can be deleted.

Try to simplify over time. It took me a few weeks to determine which review step can be moved from daily to weekly, weekly to monthly, and monthly to quarterly. You'll find your flow. I'm sure of it.

Last edited:
I'd take that GTD Weekly Review and customize it to make it your own. Everybody has their own needs.
OK
For example:

In the "Get Clear" stage, list out all the inboxes I have to go through. Try to reduce the number of inboxes to simplify. Keep one physical in-tray for paper items that get accumulated. Reduce the number of apps used to capture thoughts and ideas.
You use one in-tray but I have six
you look at your apps once a week ?
In the "Get Current" stage, write down all the lists that needs to be reviewed. Use this as a checklist to make sure any list isn't ignored.
reviewed from your memory .
In each phase, customize it to fit you.'

I've also taken to breaking up my reviews.

I have a daily startup to check my email and DM inboxes to see if anything popped up overnight.
I do that after exercise
I capture important emails into my task manager.
by making a manual task
I check my calendar to remind myself of today's appointments. I'll list down all the things I'll need to have on hand before
-but they would probably be on your list manager?
going to each appointment (lab work forms and health insurance card for doctor appointments, agenda/meeting minutes for a staff meeting, etc).

I have a daily shutdown routine that allows me to check any emails/direct messages that came in today, process any new inbox items in my task manager, review tomorrow's schedule to see if I need to get other materials ready, check on any follow-ups and waiting-for's that I missed today, and update my task manager by marking as complete any tasks that I worked on today and reviewing any lists that changed today.

I have a weekly review on Friday that allows me to preview next week's schedule to prepare for the events that will occur in the next 7 days. I can choose 2-3 Big Rock projects that I want to focus on next week. I want to make progress in any projects that aren't a part of my daily administrative work.

I have a monthly review to look at all my projects to see which projects can get mothballed, get activated, or get delegated to someone else.

The GTD weekly review is a great starting point. But some things needs to be checked on a different time cycle: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually.

I would suggest making a GTD review workflow that will fit you. Customize it. Break it down to the smallest next action (check Outlook Inbox, check physical in-tray on my desk). You'll find some things that you were reviewing didn't really need to be reviewed as often or can be deleted.

Try to simplify over time. It took me a few weeks to determine which review step can be moved from daily to weekly, weekly to monthly, and monthly to quarterly. You'll find your flow. I'm sure of it.

... *scanning over*

Your more advanced then myself

say you have job as administrator? - probably have skills help you with implementing GTD ?

You use one in-tray but I have six
you look at your apps once a week ?
In each physical location, keep one in-tray. Don't leave documents scattered throughout your home or office. My idea was to reduce the number of physical in-trays.

During my Daily Startup and Daily Shutodown, I will look at my email inbox and DM (Facebook Business Messenger and the Instagram Business messenger) boxes to see if there are any messages to capture.

I look at my apps as often as I need to. I look at my LinkedIn inbox once a week because it doesn't change much. My email and social media inboxes (Facebook, Instagram) does collect more messages and I need to check those at the beginning and end of day, Monday to Friday.

You'll find your own rhythm and determine how often you need to check your inboxes.

I used to have too many apps or folders to check. I used to save documents randomly into one of many cloud storage areas. I had a Google Drive account, a Microsoft OneDrive account, a Dropbox account, and an iCloud Drive account. I would have to check all of those cloud accounts to find a document. I just chose one cloud account to store all my documents. Everything in one place.

I also had an inbox folder for notes and placed them into Evernote, Drafts, Ulysses writing app, DEVONthink notes app. Now I just use the Drafts app. It's faster to go to my Drafts app inbox and see where I can forward any text notes to (an email message, a text document for later retrieval, invoices).

All of my personal tasks go safely into my one list manager, OmniFocus. All of my office tasks go into Asana which the company office uses. I don't play with any other list managers.

Can we reduce the number of apps that have an inbox? Use fewer apps instead of having so many apps. That will make the review workflow shorter and easier to check.

reviewed from your memory .
In the "Get Current" stage, I don't like to review based on memory. If I have a checklist in front of me, I ensure that I'm not skipping any lists. Sometimes I'll just take a quick peek at a list. Other times, I'll need to spend a little more than a minute and will stay there until I resolve any questions I might have.

There is a book called "The Checklist Manifesto" by Atel Gawande that reminded me to have lists for everything. Don't rely on memory to go through a checklist like the Weekly Review. Your photo shows that you do have a Weekly Review checklist.

Now I'm asking if you would like to customize the review to fit you. What does your Daily Startup checklist need? What does your Daily Shutdown checklist need? What does your weekly review checklist need? What does your monthly checklist need?

Create lists for the review times. You will change it over time. As you practice the checklist, you'll fine-tune it to make it more efficient.

Here is a Youtube video where Atul Gawande talked about using checklists.

Here is a shorter summary video for you

Or just buy the book from your bookstore. It's very short and easy to read.

-but they would probably be on your list manager?
I check my calendar to remind myself of today's appointments.

I use my calendar app by adding notes to each event. I'll list down all the things I need for that meeting in the notes section of the event. I don't always needs to have it in my list manager.

When I'm reviewing the day before or the week before, I'll check the event in the calendar app. Manys of my events have event notes and hold my list of things I need to get done before I go. what I need to do to prepare before the meeting. I don't put it in my list manager.

Your more advanced then myself
I'm not "advanced." I'm on the same road as you, just at a different distance from you. I could be in front of you or behind you on the same road. The idea is to help each other on the road.

Last edited:
In each physical location, keep one in-tray. Don't leave documents scattered throughout your home or office. My idea was to reduce the number of physical in-trays.
Not sure I can do only one in-tray
That's I habit I have - leaving objects/items scattered a certain amount
During my Daily Startup and Daily Shutodown,
never herd those terms before
I will look at my email inbox and DM (Facebook Business Messenger and the Instagram Business messenger)
I don't have I G
boxes to see if there are any messages to capture.
You just look at these inboxes once a day?
I look at my apps as often as I need to.
Oh right? all apps?
I look at my LinkedIn inbox once a week because it doesn't change much.
don't have linked in active right now, but used it once in past while was unemployed
My email and social media inboxes (Facebook, Instagram) does collect more messages and I need to check those at the beginning and end of day, Monday to Friday.
That makes sense - so you check at least 2 times a day you are writing?
You'll find your own rhythm and determine how often you need to check your inboxes.
Yeah - but what's best in theory?
I used to have too many apps or folders to check.
I also feel use too many apps "
I used to save documents randomly into one of many cloud storage areas.
I also have saving problem"
I had a Google Drive account, a Microsoft OneDrive account, a Dropbox account, and an iCloud Drive account.
I am similar - have those as well "
I would have to check all of those cloud accounts to find a document. I just chose one cloud account to store all my documents. Everything in one place.
So should I also do this?
I also had an inbox folder for notes and placed them into Evernote, Drafts, Ulysses writing app, DEVONthink notes app.
These are things I haven't used
Now I just use the Drafts app. It's faster to go to my Drafts app inbox and see where I can forward any text notes to (an email message, a text document for later retrieval, invoices).
I have a lot of email drafts in my gmail "
All of my personal tasks go safely into my one list manager, OmniFocus. All of my office tasks go into Asana which the company office uses. I don't play with any other list managers.
I haven't used omni focus
but have Asana - where not all my tasks are on there 100%
Can we reduce the number of apps that have an inbox? Use fewer apps instead of having so many apps.
yes that is something with myself which is actionable right now 1
That will make the review workflow shorter and easier to check.

In the "Get Current" stage, I don't like to review based on memory.
How else would you do it?
If I have a checklist in front of me, I ensure that I'm not skipping any lists. Sometimes I'll just take a quick peek at a list. Other times, I'll need to spend a little more than a minute and will stay there until I resolve any questions I might have.
right you have a written checklist for get current
There is a book called "The Checklist Manifesto" by Atel Gawande that reminded me to have lists for everything.
OK is it worth I study that?
Don't rely on memory to go through a checklist like the Weekly Review. Your photo shows that you do have a Weekly Review checklist.
What photo? you use your memory for everything"
Now I'm asking if you would like to customize the review to fit you.
Right
What does your Daily Startup checklist need? What does your Daily Shutdown checklist need?
I could create a "daily shutdown for you Wilson
What does your weekly review checklist need? What does your monthly checklist need?

Create lists for the review times. You will change it over time. As you practice the checklist, you'll fine-tune it to make it more efficient.
"the review times" ?
Here is a Youtube video where Atul Gawande talked about using checklists.

Right
Here is a shorter summary video for you

Or just buy the book from your bookstore. It's very short and easy to read.
right or library
I check my calendar to remind myself of today's appointments.
you digital calendar ?
I use my calendar app by adding notes to each event. I'll list down all the things I need for that meeting in the notes section of the event.
right personally - I don't have much meetings because of my disability "
I don't always needs to have it in my list manager.
OK
When I'm reviewing the day before or the week before, I'll check the event in the calendar app. Manys of my events have event notes and hold my list of things I need to get done before I go. what I need to do to prepare before the meeting. I don't put it in my list manager.
OK ... *
I'm not "advanced." I'm on the same road as you, just at a different distance from you. I could be in front of you or behind you on the same road. The idea is to help each other on the road.
Right - personally I ...

"
STN

wilson

"mistakes made my level of collective knowledge. solution is making checklists. example of ICU possibly of harm, - our memory is not reliable " <2min"
I could watch the rest of the 6 min video if you reply back here "

Let's designate a table for you at home. This is the place where you put your keys and any documents. When you come home, put your keys and letters there. It might be on your desk with a physical in-tray. It could be a big bowl or platter. As long as you put everything in one place.

It's a new habit for you. As soon as you come home, put everything there.
It's my own term for what I do in the morning and at the end of the day.

A daily startup is a review that I do in the morning to get ready for whatever work I have today. My daily shutdown is a review that I do at the end of the day so I can prepare for tomorrow. It includes the following steps:

1. check my emails and social media inboxes for any new messages I need to be aware of.
2. Look at my physical in-tray to see if anything needs to be added to my calendar, my list manager, or my notes app.
3. check my list manager and choose 3 things that I want to do today.
4. check my calendar to see if I have appointments. Do I need to bring something with me before I go into the meeting?

I took my weekly review steps and moved some of the review items to my daily startup and daily shutdown.

Some of the other review steps will remain for the weekly review I do at the end of the week.

Doing a daily startup review and daily shutdown review is a habit that takes time to form. You will change your workflow over time. Only you can figure out what you need in a weekly review, the daily startup review, and the daily shutdown review. Maybe you don't need the daily shutdown review. You can choose how often to review. But the idea is to customize your review routine to for your needs. What do you need? List out all the steps

You took a photo of your weekly review in your hands. it was the first post.

I don't use my memory to remember anything. I use my list manager to hold the tasks I want to do or need to do. I use my calendar to remind me of the things I need to do every day.

Your list manager will become your best friend. Use you can use a list manager on your phone, tablet, or computer. Or you can just use a paper notebook with lists of things to do. One page holds one list.

You check them as often as you need to. Some people do it once in the morning, once in the early afternoon (maybe lunch?), and one more time before the end of the day.

> Create lists for the review times.

"the review times" ?
Create one list for the daily startup and another list for the daily shutdown. You can also create a list for the mid-day review if you need to do a mid-day review. It is all up to you.

you digital calendar ?
I use my calendar app for my digital calendar. If you feel more comfortable with a paper calendar, that is also a good solution.

You can always review your calendar once a day to see what you need to do for today. I have set alarms for things I need to do today. It is not only for meetings.

I take some medication once every 2 days.
I need to take out the trash bin every Wednesday night to the roadside for the trash pickup on Thursday morning.
I remind myself to work on something at a specific time.
If I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, I'll check the appointment notes to see if I need to bring a document or remind myself of any questions I want to ask my doctor.
I remember to feed the pets every morning and every night.
I remember to water the garden.

Last edited:
Let's designate a table for you at home. This is the place where you put your keys and any documents. When you come home, put your keys and letters there.
I keep my keys in a type of runner bag on my waist"
It might be on your desk with a physical in-tray. It could be a big bowl or platter. As long as you put everything in one place.
I have a 3 tray metal intray on my desk I shared picture of before
It's a new habit for you. As soon as you come home, put everything there.
persons @gtdstudente also suggested I keep a small intray physical box in my room - where put everything in "in tray"
It's my own term for what I do in the morning and at the end of the day.
OK I haven't been doing that
A daily startup is a review that I do in the morning to get ready for whatever work I have today. My daily shutdown is a review that I do at the end of the day so I can prepare for tomorrow. It includes the following steps:

1. check my emails and social media inboxes for any new messages I need to be aware of.
2. Look at my physical in-tray to see if anything needs to be added to my calendar, my list manager, or my notes app.
first time herd "3 things"
4. check my calendar to see if I have appointments. Do I need to bring something with me before I go into the meeting?
physical calander?
I took my weekly review steps and moved some of the review items to my daily startup and daily shutdown.

Some of the other review steps will remain for the weekly review I do at the end of the week.
ok
Doing a daily startup review and daily shutdown review is a habit that takes time to form. You will change your workflow over time. Only you can figure out what you need in a weekly review, the daily startup review, and the daily shutdown review. Maybe you don't need the daily shutdown review. You can choose how often to review. But the idea is to customize your review routine to for your needs. What do you need? List out all the steps
ok
You took a photo of your weekly review in your hands. it was the first post.
you remember
I don't use my memory to remember anything.
that's no physically possible in theory - but I understand what your trying to say
I use my list manager to hold the tasks I want to do or need to do. I use my calendar to remind me of the things I need to do every day.

Your list manager will become your best friend. Use you can use a list manager on your phone, tablet, or computer. Or you can just use a paper notebook with lists of things to do. One page holds one list.
This is what I should move to?
You check them as often as you need to. Some people do it once in the morning, once in the early afternoon (maybe lunch?), and one more time before the end of the day.
As long as its helping you and not stopping you"
Create one list for the daily startup and another list for the daily shutdown. You can also create a list for the mid-day review if you need to do a mid-day review. It is all up to you.
ok
I use my calendar app for my digital calendar. If you feel more comfortable with a paper calendar, that is also a good solution.
I don't use paper calendar right now after I began using a digital calendar after trying to learn asana with rene le
You can always review your calendar once a day to see what you need to do for today. I have set alarms for things I need to do today. It is not only for meetings.

I take some medication once every 2 days.
Im on chelation protocol which requires taking supplements at set times
I need to take out the trash bin every Wednesday night to the roadside for the trash pickup on Thursday morning.
I remind myself to work on something at a specific time.
intuitively ?
If I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, I'll check the appointment notes to see if I need to bring a document or remind myself of any questions I want to ask my doctor.
ok
I remember to feed the pets every morning and every night.
I remember to water the garden.

I don't have I G

Oh right? all apps?

don't have linked in active right now, but used it once in past while was unemployed

That makes sense - so you check at least 2 times a day you are writing?

Yeah - but what's best in theory?

I also feel use too many apps "

I also have saving problem"

I am similar - have those as well "

So should I also do this?

These are things I haven't used

I have a lot of email drafts in my gmail "

I haven't used omni focus
but have Asana - where not all my tasks are on there 100%

yes that is something with myself which is actionable right now 1

How else would you do it?

right you have a written checklist for get current

OK is it worth I study that?

Right

I could create a "daily shutdown for you Wilson

"the review times" ?

Right

right or library

you digital calendar ?

OK

OK ... *

Right - personally I ...

"
STN

wilson

"mistakes made my level of collective knowledge. solution is making checklists. example of ICU possibly of harm, - our memory is not reliable " <2min"
I could watch the rest of the 6 min video if you reply back here "
@Wilson Ng * * # (my previous post tasks)

"I could watch the rest of the 6 min video if you reply back here ""

afterwards : when finished video - felt like I wasn't able fully cognise it with the YT notes I uploaded "

I could create a "daily shutdown for you Wilson I started writing on paper with pen copy "

4. check my calendar to see if I have appointments. Do I need to bring something with me before I go into the meeting?" s

STN