Problems with the separation of next steps, projects and goals

Niklas

Registered
I have been using GTD for the past 2 years now (still far away from Zen mastery but doing okayish). I use Evernote and organize all tasks, projects etc in notebooks.

Now, one of my problems is that my goals, projects and next steps are not really interconnected. For example, I create a new project in a note following the natural planning process. Then I create a new note for the next action and move it into the next action notebook.

Now the two notes are completely separated. One step in the weekly review process is to check if all projects have a next step associated. This is always a little bit hard to tell. I have like 30-50 projects and 100 next action items. From the review of one list to the next I have basically already forgotten if there was a next step associated with the project.

With my goals, it is a little bit easier as it is not that much. But again, there is no connection, so I couldn't tell what I am currently working on that brings me closer to a certain goal.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? How do you make sure you keep the overview what next action is associated with what project?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Okayish is good! Keep up the good work.

Evernote tags would be an easy way to link key projects with their associated actions.

We talk about that in the GTD & Evernote Setup Guide some.

MellowEnchant

Registered
I have been using GTD for the past 2 years now (still far away from Zen mastery but doing okayish). I use Evernote and organize all tasks, projects etc in notebooks.

Now, one of my problems is that my goals, projects and next steps are not really interconnected. For example, I create a new project in a note following the natural planning process. Then I create a new note for the next action and move it into the next action notebook.

Now the two notes are completely separated. One step in the weekly review process is to check if all projects have a next step associated. This is always a little bit hard to tell. I have like 30-50 projects and 100 next action items. From the review of one list to the next I have basically already forgotten if there was a next step associated with the project.

With my goals, it is a little bit easier as it is not that much. But again, there is no connection, so I couldn't tell what I am currently working on that brings me closer to a certain goal.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? How do you make sure you keep the overview what next action is associated with what project?

Basically, this is exactly the same problem I am struggling with right now. I tried linking the next action note with the project, but that was kind of cumbersome. I will try to use tags in this regard.

Have you found any good solution yet?

Futureself

Registered
Something I’m currently trying is tagging my actionables with its area of focus. That way when I’m reviewing my projects I just go area by area. That way I get a nice horizons of focus model in front of me area by area. It’s not perfect but cuts down the amount of items to look over. 1920C4F3-898A-48B2-BB7B-1C31AAFB78BB.jpeg