Project: Achieve Mind Like Water/Black Belt Status

dansch

Registered
A semi-serious question:

If this is one of my projects (i.e., a state which does not exist at present but that I want to become reality in the future), how will I know when I'm done?

I

intrigueme@aol.com

This is a cliche', but it works:

Make it:

Specific
Measurable
Action-Oriented
Realistic
Time-Dimensioned

ext555

Registered
What's your successful outcome ? If you envision "wild success" what will you look like , feel like , how will you act as a GTD black belt ?

I'd jot down some thoughts along those lines and then when you've got a clear picture ask yourself --what's the very next action I need to do to start moving in that direction --it might be a series of actions because this is more of a process than a project. All the same --the people I know who "got" GTD had an idea of what they wanted to acheive ,the others who "tried it " told me various reasons why they can't/won't do it.

T

Teflon

Hi,

For something like this I might use a 10 point scale to rate performance. So today you might rate yourself a 5 out of 10, your goal is to consider yourself a 10 out of 10. Once you reach 10 you can consider the "project" complete and successful.

My 2 cents.

S

susie

I soooo want to be here

I did not realize how longggggg it owuld take for me to implement this. What a backlog!

Anyhow -- I have a question about projects -- Can I have a project on my action list that is active but not being worked on by me right now. In other words, is the project list only active projects that I have a NA on in the next 7 days otherwise it goes on Someday/Maybe. I'm sure this sounds wierd, but I am not sure how to divide the Projects with the Someday mabyes. Also, do I have on project list aor do I have a work project list and home project list, scout project list, etc.

Thanks again!!!

S

susie

apologies for the bad typing

I apologize to everyone for the bad typing. Will do better from now on!

ext555

Registered
Susie, no apologies needed -- most people on this board are pretty busy and I personally don't run a spell check before I post :wink:

re: your question -- you can keep projects that you're not working on this week on your list. I think DA said the project list was for a 90 day range etc. If you're not going to touch it in the next 3 months, it probably belongs on your someday list. --

A

Anonymous

Great response above.

I recently created a system for all my paper filing. The result I wanted was to able to find and replace any paper file withing 30 seconds.

The Goal was to create the ideal filing system.

Having a defined result means I can actually test my system and see if it measures up.

Kee up the good work everyone.

Guy

furashgf

Registered
Just a thought...

I'm very well educated in traditional, structured Project Management techniques. All that being said, I'm not sure that GTD isn't on to something:

- come up with a vision - it might be completely unrealistic
- if you do enough things, eventually you'll get to a good enough place.

It's a kind of naturalistic approach to Project Management. I'm not sure it isn't worth more thought. Many a project has exceuted perfectly using structured PM techniques and been a complete failure (and vice versa).

K

ko

Susie -

Re: a single project list, or one for work, one for home, etc.

I have two lists, Projects @ Home and Projects @ Work. All of volunteer activities go under the @ Home list, because they can be done at work. Initially everything was in a single list, but I found that I needed to be able to do short reviews of my work projects, without my view being hindered by home projects.

ext555

Registered
furashgf said:
Just a thought...

I'm very well educated in traditional, structured Project Management techniques. All that being said, I'm not sure that GTD isn't on to something:

- come up with a vision - it might be completely unrealistic
- if you do enough things, eventually you'll get to a good enough place.

It's a kind of naturalistic approach to Project Management. I'm not sure it isn't worth more thought. Many a project has exceuted perfectly using structured PM techniques and been a complete failure (and vice versa).

Actually David refers to his method as "the natural planning model"
see his book for more details -- it works very well with any size project.

Paul