Projects?

Tombo

Registered
i am a bit confused as to how to set up projects and support material. For example, I need to order a new pool cover. So on projects list do I write down research how to measure for a pool cover? That would be the next step. Or do I write down new pool cover and then a sub list of all steps I need to take? And I don’t get project support material list is that a reminder or just a holding pen for information?

Gardener

Registered
As I see this:

Project Name: Get and install new pool cover

Or if you do outcome-based names:

Project Name: Pool has new cover

Then I would think about the first logical step toward getting a new pool cover. Maybe I have no clue about pool covers, but I suspect that my friend Josh does. So I write a Next Action:

- Email Josh about pool covers.

That's all I write down for now--I'm assuming I'm not in a huge huge hurry for this and therefore I'm just going to wrangle one action at a time for this project.

At some point I email Josh, and he emails me things about pool covers. That email is project support material. So I make a folder, either paper or electronic, I name it "Pool Cover", and I put the email in it.

Josh recommended that I go to Pools R Us. So I write a Next Action:

- Go to Pools R Us.

That's all I write down for now. At some point I go to Pools R Us, I take some notes, and the salesman gives me brochures. All that stuff is also project support material--I put it in the folder.

In the brochures are instructions on measuring the pool. I write a Next Action:

- Measure Pool.

When I get around to it, I measure the pool. I write down the measurements and I put that in the folder of project support material. Then I add another Next Action:

- Get quotes for pool cover from Wallace at Pools R Us.

And so on.

Tombo

Registered
Thank you, when writing done the next action does that remain under projects or does each next action migrate to the next action list.

mcogilvie

Registered
You need a list of Projects, lists of Next Actions, and a place for project support material. Most people starting gtd have some system for project support already. If it’s working and it suits you, then there’s no need to change. Most people start out pretty disorganized, though. I use a digital tool (Things) that is adequate for almost all of my project support needs, because it can hold small npbits of information in notes fields, and can link to email and files. Other people use papers in folders and do very well. There’s no one good choice. The one thing I would not recommend is planning next actions too far ahead. Change happens and your planning is obsolete. Worse, your subconscious will know when the steps are all wrong, and send messages to resist doing the project. With experience, you will learn when and how to plan better, and when not planning is better.

Gardener

Registered
Thank you, when writing done the next action does that remain under projects or does each next action migrate to the next action list.

That depends on your tool. In OmniFocus, and probably some other software, you enter it in the project but then it automatically appears in your next action list.